6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

DPF Delete POST EPA Preventing Sale of Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Ugh!!!!!! I've heard that in CA they actually have road blocks to check for altered emissions, any truth to that? I have 48 states filled in on my RV map but I'm scared to go to CA cause I'm tuned and armed. Afraid I'd end up in Alcatraz but not as a tourist.
LOL, me too, but I've got a lot of other states to go to yet, probably won't be able to get to all in my lifetime so not going to CA doesn't dismay me. Everybody I know that live there are leaving so that must tell you something.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard of a couple of instances of roadside diesel checks in SoCal quite a few years back, but to be perfectly honest, I've never encountered one wherever I've gone. I'm situated up in the Bay Area and have ventured down south on many occasions, like Disneyland area :-).

I do see a few tuned trucks every once in a while...but there aren't that many. I think the inconvenience of returning to stock every couple of years becomes a drag.

The allure of the weather here keeps people from leaving though it's like a zoo here in Sillycone Valley and insanely expensive to live here, so you won't miss anything coming here in that regard. LOL

It's sunny and 65F out today with maybe some brief showers for the first time in 3 months later this week. We're also in the middle of supposedly one of the worst droughts. The last time it snowed down here was a couple of hours in 1977. LOL

Old 01-28-2014, 12:16 PM
winklershop
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so you tune the engine so the engine doesn’t dump fuel in 7 and 8 in the exhaust stroke to send fuel to the DPF to burn the soot....does the catalytic converter do anything with the fuel? or does it go through the cat to the DPF. The DPF needs to be "bypassed" because if you don’t...it will plug up with soot....is the CAT the same way? i was thinking on that DPF...a concrete core drill bit would go through that ceramic material nicely....maybe nice enough that you wouldn’t need to run a pipe down the inside of it. Here in Spokane, Washington, i have been able to get a 6.4 L with DPF delete (replacement pipe) and a 6.0 with EGR delete to pass emissions. (they hook up to the battery and have sensors on the tail pipe, and then they have you do a snap test, and this is where it gets tricky...even a new stock 6.0, 6.4 would fail this test...because they literally tell you push the pedal to the floor...and when i was young and dumb, i listened to them...and failed....so now you put your other foot behind the pedal to give you a consistent stopping point, and then you do the snap test, it cuts you back to like 75% pedal...and then you pass, and that’s how we have passed a dpf deleted 6.4 and a 6.0 egr deleted).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-28-2014, 12:45 PM
winklershop
Senior User
ahhh, i take that back, i mixed up the 7.3 with the 6.4...the 6.4's are all 2008 or newer, and in this area there is no emissions testing required on 2007 and newer on diesel engines.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM
winklershop
Senior User
so the green one is the cat (DOC) and the purple one is the DPF, and then red one is the resonator?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by aquaman
I've heard of a couple of instances of roadside diesel checks in SoCal quite a few years back, but to be perfectly honest, I've never encountered one wherever I've gone. I'm situated up in the Bay Area and have ventured down south on many occasions, like Disneyland area :-).

I do see a few tuned trucks every once in a while...but there aren't that many. I think the inconvenience of returning to stock every couple of years becomes a drag.

The allure of the weather here keeps people from leaving though it's like a zoo here in Sillycone Valley and insanely expensive to live here, so you won't miss anything coming here in that regard. LOL

It's sunny and 65F out today with maybe some brief showers for the first time in 3 months later this week. We're also in the middle of supposedly one of the worst droughts. The last time it snowed down here was a couple of hours in 1977. LOL
I spend winters in Fort Myers FL, 75 to 80 degrees most winter days. Spent a couple months in Palo Alto in 1964. Nice area, and as I remember nice weather. Played a lot of poker in San Jose public poker rooms. Had fun out there and I wouldn't mind seeing it again. Maybe I'll get a chance if I ever get a new truck. I'd rather be stock and legal but the difference is so worth not being stock,

Old 01-30-2014, 04:22 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
difference is so worth not being stock,
Amen, especially if you use your truck for a daily driver. Now all you have to do is pay attention to the fuel you buy, treat it, drain it, check the coolant every so often and drive it. Good thing I like to putz with things, and of course I love my truck.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:42 AM
ssharber
Tuned
I have been wanting to delete my DPF and, of course, waited too long to buy a tuner so I'm out of luck unless I can buy one now from one of the places listed here. I have 2 questions. !) I'm not interested in tuning the truck for extra power/ etc., I just want to delete the dpf. Do any of the tuners that still allow you to delete the DPF have stock tunes? 2) Here in TN we have emissions testing. They do not check the exhaust, or even look under the truck. They simply plug in to the OBD port and start it. Then look at the monitor to check the ECM I assume. Would I have to go through the process of reinstalling the DPF and de-tuning the truck every year with one of these tuners? Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:28 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ssharber
I have been wanting to delete my DPF and, of course, waited too long to buy a tuner so I'm out of luck unless I can buy one now from one of the places listed here. I have 2 questions. !) I'm not interested in tuning the truck for extra power/ etc., I just want to delete the dpf. Do any of the tuners that still allow you to delete the DPF have stock tunes? 2) Here in TN we have emissions testing. They do not check the exhaust, or even look under the truck. They simply plug in to the OBD port and start it. Then look at the monitor to check the ECM I assume. Would I have to go through the process of reinstalling the DPF and de-tuning the truck every year with one of these tuners? Thanks for any advice.
There are still tuners on the market, Spartan, Gear box Z, and a couple of others, putting back to stock is only a couple of hour job.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
H&S mini has a stock tune, not sure about Spartan. But you must make sure you are getting a DPF delete capable tuner. There is also a product called DPF-R (I think that's right) that only allows you to delete the DPF. They used to be on ebay. Find a diesel speed shop and they will be able to help you. I'm 71 and pretty sure I could return my truck to stock in an hour or so. It's not a big deal so long as you take the DOC (CAT) off with the DPF. Just 3 bolts, 3 sensors, a hanger and a clamp as I recall.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:11 AM
stangr8cr
Junior User
Originally Posted by ssharber
With H&S, you can delete the DPF and just run the stock tune. I was hesitant at first to delete as I'm in Davidson county and wasn't wanting to remove/replace the DPF every year but my desire to have a better running/ sounding truck was stronger than my ability to live with the really quiet yet peppy tuned DPF present truck. I was DPF present tuned for a little over a year before I wanted to hear the truck. I'm due next month for emissions so I'll be switching the exhaust out for the first time. I feel it's worth it but I am always wrenching on something and don't mind. It only took me about 1 1/2 hours by myself to swap out exhausts. I applied dielectric grease to all the sensors and then cover them with little black balloons to keep the gunk out.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Gearitis
Laughing Gas

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When I had my 6.4, I did the DPF-r not Plus as the Plus has a tune which give you a bit more performance. It performed well and was easy as its all voice prompts. I deleted the catalyst and DPF and it also requires you to use blocker plates to block the EGR. I gained a bit on fuel mileage, not much. and performance was noticeable, and it sounded like a truck when we finished. It took about an hour with 2 people and a lift. Very easy. I believe Gearboxz is still selling them but they are twice the price as they were a year ago. You must get delete pipes that have bungs so the sensors can be reused. It is stackable with other tuners. Would I do it again? gosh yes, in a heartbeat.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 PM
FCicalese
New User
I've been doing a lot of research on tuners and so far the one I am leaning towards is the Edge Evolution CTS (Color Touch screen) Diesel (85200). For $649 it says it does what I want, which is fuel mileage and DPF delete. Gotta save my pennies but that's what I am looking to do. Besides it has a pod that goes on the left side of your dash to make the install almost look factory. If anyone has any thoughts on these tuners please let me know GOOD or Bad.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
If anybody is looking for tuners contact Will at Rudy's diesel at 828-467-1118. Prices are at like 1700 for he h & s mini maxx. They also offer the Spartan, Edge etc. Will was great to work with when I ordered mine last week.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:47 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by FCicalese
I've been doing a lot of research on tuners and so far the one I am leaning towards is the Edge Evolution CTS (Color Touch screen) Diesel (85200). For $649 it says it does what I want, which is fuel mileage and DPF delete. Gotta save my pennies but that's what I am looking to do. Besides it has a pod that goes on the left side of your dash to make the install almost look factory. If anyone has any thoughts on these tuners please let me know GOOD or Bad.
I had an Edge before my H&S. I forget which number is the DPF delete but it sounds like you have it. I did not have the color but mine did delete. The knock on the Edge was that it does not tune the tranny, nor did mine have a stock level tune. I think the lowest tune was +25 or 30 HP. I used mine only on the lowest tune. After 15,000 miles or so I was having some tranny problems and bought the H&S. I eventually had the tranny fail (sort of) anyway but the tech says it had nothing to do with the tuner. I believe that, as in the end I don't think there was really anything wrong with the tranny. Anyway, the Edge served me well. It reads codes, clears codes and will monitor up to 4 engine parameters. I don't remember if it has alarms you can set but I think it does.

I like the H&S a lot better for the tranny tunes and the EGR shut off but given the extra $1000 dollars (I bought my H&S pre EPA raid for $700) you would have to pay I can understand your decision. Over all my rating for the Edge is positive. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: DPF Delete POST EPA Preventing Sale of Tuners