1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

AMP Research "powerstep" power running boards on a dentside?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:53 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
AMP Research "powerstep" power running boards on a dentside?

Anybody running them???

I did a search on this topic and only came up with the below 2 threads. Neither of which answer the question.
I guess I could have have bumped the 1st one & built off that, but I figured I'd start a new thread with a more descriptive title to help people find this in future searches.

My question is - has anyone ever installed the AMP steps on one of these trucks, and if so what kit or parts did you use?

I think I've decided to tackle this project & want to see what others have done - if anything...

I have seen 1 dentside truck (a '78 crew) with the steps, but the FTE-er who owns it bought it with the steps on & doesn't know what model parts were used.
I emailed the pics to the AMP Research tech support dept. the guy said these mounts looked like the super duty mounts, but they do NOT look the same as the mount's on my buddy's '99 super dookie (I can share these photos if people want).

I started looking for used steps near me for as cheap as I could find and I came up with a set for a 2007+ Chevy crew cab. There was a broken piece on this set, so I emailed the guys at AMP to check replacement part cost. While doing so I asked them about fitment on our trucks. I was told they don't make a setup for our trucks, but the "classic" GM/Chevy stuff might be the easiest to use for this. The guy there suggested part # 75113-01A, which is for '99-06 chevy's/GMC's. He said the mounting brackets on these might be easier to use on our trucks.

I've located a set of these semi local & am currently going back & forth with the seller collecting pictures of the brackets & measurements. These look promising, but until I get more measurments from the guy tomorrow I can't be sure.

Here's the 2 threads I found in my search:
This thread asks about AMP steps with no answers
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...ds-anyone.html

This is a general thread on nerf bars or steps & I put pics of AMP steps on a '78 crew in here. I'll post the pics below.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nerf-bars.html

And here's the pics of that '78 crew with the power steps on it.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:01 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Those are cool. A little pricey though. I hope you get it figured out though and give us a parts breakdown. I may end up doing this as well since I hate running boards and steps, but also dislike carrying a step ladder so certain passengers can get in.

As a side note, don't you have enough on your plate Steve?

Old 01-17-2014, 11:54 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
I do have too much on my plate, but like everything else on my build fitting these is the key to making sure something else fits. The exhaust in this case. So yeah, once again I'm looking at spending money on and doing something now that I'd rather be doing later.

Hoping to pic a used set of these up on Sunday for $550. Still a ton of $ for a side step, but way cheaper than new & they hang lower than most steps & go away when not in use. Therefore I get the looks I want & the wife (& future youngin's) get what they want which is to be able to get in the thing easier.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Mustangking1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about these motors for the power running boards but I recently had a 2010 expedition that the running board motor cost $1,600 to replace.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
That is more than these complete boards cost new.

Here's a response from a buddy who is well versed in repairs & custom fab, etc. on stuff like this:
"They are about the only step on the market I like. Well built, use a window motor to operate (easy to replace/repair). Installing one on a 70s truck shouldn't be that hard, assuming there is enough room under the cab. I have seen/heard of sets for $500-$750."

I bolded the main part that applies.

In other news - I just told the CL seller of the 75113-01A kit that it looks like the measurements he sent will work for me, so I want his steps. Hope to grab them on Sunday.
The fitment/mock up may come soon, or may not. If soon it will be the pass side only so I can figure out exhaust right after. Wiring them will be down the line most likely when I re-wire the tuck if I decide to do that.

Based on looking at more pics these things shouldn't be too hard to fit up. I will take pics of how I do it when I do.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:07 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Very cool! Might just have to keep my eyes peeled on CL.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:07 AM
choptop49ford
More Turbo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I intended to install a set of these from the beginning of my crew build. At a grand (new), they will be a later addition after everything else is done (which is very near). Let us know what you find.

Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2014, 09:14 AM
DaytonaTunnel
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GREAT thread, I too want to add steps to my CC project. I was looking at our motorhome steps and was wondering if they could be adapted ? Most of them also use a GM window motor.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:44 PM
82GT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribing, ChaseTruck will do an awesome job and make me want to do this too....

Old 01-21-2014, 12:50 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Steps are in my possession as of Saturday, and for less than 1/2 of new price - which I am happy about!
I had to help mom move all weekend & now trying to catch up with stuff around the house after being gone all weekend - so not sure how soon I will look at this.

BUT... I am excited to look as these look like they will work easily & perfectly, so we'll see.

Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself & turn this into a headache.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:03 PM
NorthwestX360
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I might do this myself someday, as I will eventually lift my truck and put 35's or 37's on it. BTW, Chasetruck754, I will be making a road trip to L.A. to visit my folks (in Torrance) in late April. If possible, I'd like to get an up-close look at your Cummins swap, if we can hook up. In other news, the building inspector signed off the final inspection on my new 36' X 52' shop today!
(pictures here: New Garage Photos by Andy_Perreault | Photobucket )
Andy up in Washington

Old 01-21-2014, 04:31 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Andy - it's not much to look at in it's current state - but shoot me a PM before you head down & I'll give you my number. I'm open to having you come take a look if you'd like.

Oh and great news on the shop! Jealous of your space!

Old 01-21-2014, 04:59 PM
DaytonaTunnel
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NorthwestX360
...........inspection on my new 36' X 52' shop today!

Andy up in Washington
NICE shop !!!! Did you by chance know John Garner with the Cummin's powered green 79 ? He lived in Hobart area and had the HP Ranch.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:59 PM
NorthwestX360
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
shoot me a PM before you head down & I'll give you my number. I'm open to having you come take a look if you'd like.

Oh and great news on the shop! Jealous of your space!
OK, cool, thanks. It'll be nice to get all of my stuff out of storage and get the trucks moved in.

Daytona Tunnel, probably 2 years ago near the Hobart market, I saw a lifted green Ford go by me in the opposite direction, and as it went by, I could tell it had a diesel in it. I kind of went, "Whoa! Check that out!" He probably saw me (in my humble, anonymous Subaru Forester) gawking at him with my jaw hanging open. That had to have been the same truck. That was the only time I've ever seen that truck in the 12 years I've lived here.

Sorry to go off topic. We now return you to your regular program...

Old 01-22-2014, 01:12 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Well damn! Had all this typed out & it disappeared... Time to try again

So curiosity got the best of me & I had to go out & look to see how these things might fit. I knew they were going to be tight, but I didn't know how tight.

The swing arm bracket (bracket that connects the arms that hold the step itself to the cab) with the motor will only go on the rear unless you want to cut a hole in the cab floor & let it pop through the front.
And even then it is very tight on the floor (or a flange of the floor) in the rear, so it has to go way towards the back of the cab.

The front bracket itself will be pretty easy/straightforward it seems.

There is an upper "tab" or bracket that comes off the main swing arm bracket. The tab can be seen in the 1st pic below - it's swung around 180* from where it should be in mounting though.
This tab attaches to the cab & gives more support to the swing arm bracket. I knew I was going to have to make new tabs, but I didn't know how lucky I was going to be with a spot to mount these.
I'm a bit **** on my builds, and unfortunately that will make this a bit harder on me.
If I were OK with bolting these "tabs" to/through the cab floor, then this would be very easy. I'm not really into that though, so this may get tricky

So enough blabbing for a second - here is what you've been waiting for - the pics!

Swing arm bracket held up to cab at front

As you can hopefully see, these mount to the cab by bolts coming up vertically through that 90* bent flange. The bolt holes in the bracket are kind of big & therefore move out towards the edge of the flange. I'm thinking I may put a piece of 1/8" or so stainless angle here to make a better mounting surface/attachment.
There is a drilling template that comes with these kits that I am going to contact AMP & see if I can get. That will make figuring out the holes as basic as can be. If I can't get one for some reason a couple minutes in measuring should do the trick.

Here is the swing arm bracket with the motor attached being held up at the front of the truck. If you have a really high truck & would want to drop the steps lower you can probably make a 1.5" - 2" spacer here & the motor would fit under the floor. My truck is pretty much at stock ride height ("highboy" ride height) & on 35's, so the stock dimensions of the steps should work well for me.

Here is where the rear swing arm & bracket are going to have to end up from what I can tell. It's pretty far back, but should work

And here is a pic of that location from underneath. As you can kind of see in the pic - the top of the motor hits against the sheetmetal flange from the step in the floor for the rear door access. I'm not sure if I will move the bracket & swing arm back a bit more, or bend this flange a bit for clearance. We'll see as I get to doing the actual install.

Just in case I wasn't super clear before I'm working with the AMP part #75113-01A kit. It's labeled as being for Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra crew cabs & extended cabs from 1999-2006 & the 2007 "classic". Not sure what the classic deal is, but my guess is it was a mid year model change - so early 2007 trucks.

My steps were on a 2004 extended cab. They are 72.5" Long and this length seems to be pretty dang good for our crews.
The good news is if you happen to get steps off a longer truck & they are too long, the actual steps here seem to be an aluminum extrusion with a plastic type end cap on it. I'm pretty positive you can take that end cab off, cut the step to length & put the end cab back on!

And there you have it thus far. More to come at some point.

Quick Reply: AMP Research "powerstep" power running boards on a dentside?