1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:37 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by slashfan7964
Its not that bad haha.
Doesn't matter to me.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks, guys. I thought maybe I'd take a trip out west, but then I'd have to bring it back home and I'd probably get busted in a small town in KS. Anyway, things are a bit better tonight and I can read - for a while. It seems that focusing on things close in, like a computer screen, hurts more than looking at things far away. But, I am a lot better than last night so there is hope.

As for the 335 forum, I just pulled the trigger on a new thread there - Oiling System Mod's. Hopefully we can get a good discussion going there so we can capture the ideas in one place. Please chime in with yours.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Been doing a bit of searching to see what finishes the Weiand 8010 intake comes in and discovered this. Looks like it would solve the problem of having to choose between the Edelbrock 1406 and the 1806. May have to rethink the air cleaner a bit - dual inlet and outlet.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Been doing a bit of searching to see what finishes the Weiand 8010 intake comes in and discovered this. Looks like it would solve the problem of having to choose between the Edelbrock 1406 and the 1806. May have to rethink the air cleaner a bit - dual inlet and outlet.

Oh no, that would mean quad snorkels

Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Save it for the Bee. You will get a big intake when you do that one.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:07 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Of course you're joking but you could actually put one of these(#75854) on there, ohhh pretty .

You'd just need to also use some of these.

With a couple 500CFM endurashine AVS carbs

FWIW I think it would be much better to have the carbs back to back, instead of back to front. That way the primaries are mirrored and you can reach the darn idle adjustment on the rear carb. That would b the bomb.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:28 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Brute, unlike Gary, I was always partial to Holley dual or triple setups, like these, dual Holleys are on the 1966 GT-350 I used to own, tri-power was on my 1964 Falcon.

All the factory dual quad and tri-power setups except Holley equipt ones only had full adjustments on the primary carb, the secondary one(s) were slave units, no idle speed or mixture and no choke.

Attached Images    
Old 02-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
It would be pretty if it weren't for the thermostat housing sticking out in the breeze. I've read where guys have machined those off, but then it wouldn't be shiny there.

And then there's tuning two carbs that have to run all the time. Not nearly the same as three 2bbl carbs where it runs on the center carb on cruise. Those two have to be sync'd. I've done that with 4 motorcycle carbs, so I guess it could be done. But I can't imagine my offspring being able to maintain it, nor it giving reasonable MPG.

But, all of this manifold and carb talk did get me to thinking and I have a question for y'all: I've decided to follow Tim's recommendation and go with the Weiand. But it doesn't appear to be available in a coated version, just natural aluminum. So I need to go back to the discussion regarding engine color. (A loud groan is heard from the 4 corners of the earth. ) Options include leaving the intake natural, powder coating it clear, powder coating it black, or painting it Old Ford Blue along with the block - assuming that's the original color for this year. Obviously I'll have the aluminum heads, which I think I'll leave natural but the appear to be much smoother than the intake. And then there's the valve covers, which will be some form of aluminum.

What I'm thinking about doing is to mock the engine up when I get all the parts. I could use the $40 block and put a quick and dirty paint job on it as well as the pan. Then lay the heads and manifold on, stick the valve covers on - one of which is still aluminum/blue and one aluminum/black - and then a carb. Take a few pics and let y'all advise.

However, I do have to make a decision prior to that point - which water pump to buy via Tim. I've decided to go with one of the aluminum units from Flow Kooler, but need to pick either natural or polished aluminum. I'm thinking polished as it isn't far from the heads that will be smooth aluminum. But that would leave the intake as the only natural aluminum. So, what do you think?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Cole Neese
Senior User
But, all of this manifold and carb talk did get me to thinking and I have a question for y'all: I've decided to follow Tim's recommendation and go with the Weiand. But it doesn't appear to be available in a coated version, just natural aluminum. So I need to go back to the discussion regarding engine color. (A loud groan is heard from the 4 corners of the earth. ) Options include leaving the intake natural, powder coating it clear, powder coating it black, or painting it Old Ford Blue along with the block - assuming that's the original color for this year. Obviously I'll have the aluminum heads, which I think I'll leave natural but the appear to be much smoother than the intake. And then there's the valve covers, which will be some form of aluminum.
I love the natural finish on my Weiand intake, but it does get dirty after a while. I cleaned it once, then it got dirty in another 6 months so I now I don't bother sine the rest of my engine bay is dirty from the little bit of mudding I do.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:29 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

The Shelby ran on the front primaries (remember Ford put the Holleys on reversed) at cruise, delivered 22 mpg at 75 mph. The only time you have to have them synced is on a cross ram (long or short).

Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Cole - I'm thinking a satin clear powder coat would seal the pores and make it stain resistant as well as easier to clean.

Bill - I think I'll leave multiple carbs for the Bee, as Bruno suggested, and go with the simple AVS-style that Tim suggested. Unless I did a Thermoquad.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:23 AM
RL250
Posting Guru
Cole - I'm thinking a satin clear powder coat would seal the pores and make it stain resistant as well as easier to clean. Bill - I think I'll leave multiple carbs for the Bee, as Bruno suggested, and go with the simple AVS-style that Tim suggested. Unless I did a Thermoquad.
Which one did Tim recommend for you?

Old 02-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Cole Neese
Senior User
Cole - I'm thinking a satin clear powder coat would seal the pores and make it stain resistant as well as easier to clean.
Yeah If I was doing it again that's probably what I'd do, Natural looks the best IMO when its clean but most of the time its not.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
RL - Tim was torn between the 650 CFM (#1806) and the 800 CFM (#1813), but eventually settled on the 650, which is the carb he uses the most. The debate appeared to be that the 650 was a bit small for the potential the engine has, but would be better for economy. And since I don't plan/need to rev the engine the smaller carb won out.

Cole - A satin clear doesn't change the looks much but sure does aid in cleanup. I did it to the Performer 400 that's on Rusty's engine and it has held up well.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:40 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Gary, that's where if I still have it the TQ would be great. They are 850 CFM, but have the small Q-Jet style primaries.

On another note, your favorite shipper, FedUp strikes again. I ordered 2 dozen roses for Mary for Valentine's Day. The company I ordered them from, Pro Flowers, gave a $10 premium for delivery today, so I opted for the 13th. All the way till last night the site showed delivery 02/13/2014 by end of day. Never happened, this morning it shows delivery NA. I am waiting for a return call from FedUp. These are fresh flowers and if they sat and got frozen or sit until next week, they will be trash, that is almost $100 worth of trash. The weather excuse can only be played so many times before it becomes like listening to a politician.

Quick Reply: Dad's Engine