1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2014 Plans--Truckstock, Truckfest, etc. etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Good for you, Bob!

We really need to consider who would go to which event, because there's no point to looking at sites in southern IL if none of the folks in IL would be headed south. For many of the former TS participants, a more southeastern location makes sense. Know what I mean? Shorter drive distances mean more "real" trucks showing up, too.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:02 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 129 Likes on 56 Posts
Good for you, Bob!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:18 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,113 Likes on 820 Posts
I really feel Doc started something that could be a rolling event. Actually, I think it should be with something hosted in a different part of the country every year. I for one would be up for taking 500 mile trip in the F-2.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds great Bob. I'll be there too! Maybe we can organize an Illinois caravan to cheese country. Have you finalized a name for your event?

One reason I decided to do Truckfest in the Spring (May) of last year is I didn't want to have to wait (w/my short attention span) until Fall before I attended another one of these really fun events (Truckstock). There are not many cool old truck people that I know of in my area. Maybe it's overkill but I'd host another Truckfest this Spring if there's enough interest. The number of people that attended last year was just right. Stu is right down the road from me in Springfield and has a great place. That would be a very good option if he would want to host a Spring event. I know I'm going to be busier than usual traveling this year so that will limit the number of events I can attend. I'm sure there are alot of us that aren't retired yet that have the same situation. So... attend one event and maybe host one would probably be my limit. What do y'all think?

Old 01-17-2014, 07:46 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bob - Does the price of admission include access to your Back 40 Storage and tours of your local access points?
As before if my body lets me I'll be there

Old 01-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I am willing to go anywhere. And I'm seriously considering driving my flathead. That's why I was so excited about the southern Illinois sites because it would be a very scenic drive for me and allow me to stay away from big cities and interstates. Yet another reason Bob's trip was so epic because he navigated Chicago as well as the Louisville and central Kentucky areas. But I will say this before it gets much farther. The spring is pretty much a wash with me with regards to my kids playing on two separate Little League teams from April until well into June. The fall is better for me, BUT my wife is a school teacher, and my kids are in school from about the first or second week of August on. So I would be flying solo most likely during that time. With that being said, you guys feel free to host your events whenever you like, and I will most definitely make every humanly effort to be there.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:48 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 271 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris 56 f6
We could have a spring truck fest at stu's....
Spring won't work for me either. Too much else is going on, we'll be wanting to work in a trip to the northwest, etc. If Bob is offering to do a fall event I'll do my best to show up and help any way he needs. And would continue to hope that any guys that come in to the Springfield EFV8 show in August will get ahold of me so we can meet up. There's frosty beverages in the shop refrig. Stu

Old 01-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Bob - Does the price of admission include access to your Back 40 Storage and tours of your local access points?
As before if my body lets me I'll be there
Dick, I hope you can make it. That reminds me that I'll need to bring a trailer so I can haul home the F4 that Bob is going to sell me.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:53 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Bob , Talked to the wife and we have a wedding in NY on Sept 13 then we will be headed your way for the 20 . She can't wait , and tell your wife I expect as good a showing as Amy did . Doc's wife has set a very high standard , That Rob's wife was able to upheld . We expect no less from your wife .

Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Spring won't work for me either. Too much else is going on, we'll be wanting to work in a trip to the northwest, etc. If Bob is offering to do a fall event I'll do my best to show up and help any way he needs. And would continue to hope that any guys that come in to the Springfield EFV8 show in August will get ahold of me so we can meet up. There's frosty beverages in the shop refrig. Stu
Frosty bevs and the EFV8 show! That's a great combination. Don't let me forget that date Stu. Maybe one of these days I'll return your cooler and Truckdog's water dish!

Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Rojak
Maybe one of these days I'll return your cooler and Truckdog's water dish!
??? Were you all out of solo cups that day? LOL

Old 01-17-2014, 08:15 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 271 Likes on 219 Posts
Rob - no worries.

Doc - no thumbs.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:43 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
... hope that any guys that come in to the Springfield EFV8 show in August will get ahold of me so we can meet up. There's frosty beverages in the shop refrig. Stu
I'd like to drive up for that meet. It would be great to meet you and see your projects. I don't yet know if I will make it, but if I do I will definitely get in touch.

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Bob, I will be there in Sept. Thanks for stepping up.

Rob, I can't do a spring meet in May.

Doc and others from that direction, you are welcome to stop off in South Michigan/Northern Indiana and rest before working your way around the lake. It may be a few extra miles (like 45) but it would give you a needed break. We could caravan to Bobs from there. I know some of the "back" ways around the city.

If you wanted to avoid Chicago and do something special here's a thought. Come up to Michigan, we'll check out the Gilmore Car Museum (one of the premier museums imho) http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/ and we could take the trucks on the ferry across Lake Michigan. What you would pay in tolls, gas and headache to go up through Chicago would cover the 2.5 hour ferry ride. Goes from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI. Has your old truck been on a ferry before? Mine has.

http://www.lake-express.com/schedule.html

Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bob-very generous offer. The Kettle Moraine is a beautiful area - basically formed when the glacier stopped and left all the earth and rock it pushed south.
Bobbi (my wife) & I will be there hopefully with the F3.
Also if it helps any one coming from the south east to decide to go we live just outside Lexington KY and last years offer to the south bound guys it is available to you going north for an overnight or repair stop. Also if we get a group to caravan up there we have friends with places in western subs of Chicago for repairs if needed. There are ways around Chicago too avoid the interstates and the 5 MPH rush hour traffic also. If you are looking at maps check out RT 83 (about 18 miles west of Chicago and 5 miles west of I-294) or a little further west RT 53 (runs along side I-355). They go thru crowed areas but usually move at a steady pace.
I will still consider having an event here in the spring if we decide not to sell the place and NO ONE else is going to have one. But having it is a very long shot right now. Have fun. Going too Bob's soon to be named event!!

Quick Reply: 2014 Plans--Truckstock, Truckfest, etc. etc.