1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2014 Plans--Truckstock, Truckfest, etc. etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 02:16 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 544 Likes on 350 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Edith's too long for that ferry.

I know that many of us don't like the heavy traffic and stop and go with these old trucks, especially for us double clutching, but everything I have ever seen about Lake Shore Drive looks really inviting. I've driven semi's, tour buses and my Harley in, out and through Chicago so I am not really intimidated, but if someone in that area could suggest a time frame (hopefully in daylight) when the traffic is less congested it would be a real cool trip.
I Lived in the Windy City for 12 years. Anywhere between 10:30 and 2:00 the traffic is less but still not a walk in the park. Also need to make sure there are no sporting events going on. LSD is really a nice drive if you can deal with the traffic.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:27 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
One thing to consider about LSD (lake shore dr) is large trucks are NOT allowed. Pickups can run it but no licensed trucks above that and I am pretty sure no trailers allowed. The skyway drive is good but you just about must be on interstate to get to it IN and off on LSD or the Death Ryan expressway -- not a road or area you want an old ford on or any breakdown. Go west further south before you do that
You may want to check on antique lic vehicles for LSD
You are correct. I did some research on this and it appears that even pick up trucks are not allowed ... according to Chicago PD.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:35 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
You are correct. I did some research on this and it appears that even pick up trucks are not allowed ... according to Chicago PD.
They would be the ones to pay attention too! Did they say anything about antique licensed vehicles ?
FYI. Boulevards in IL do not allow trucks either so be careful on some of the surface streets also. Very heavy fines!

Old 01-19-2014, 02:37 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 544 Likes on 350 Posts
Copied from Chicago code:
"It shall be unlawful to operate any vehicle upon any boulevard (a) when such vehicle is used for carrying freight or other goods and merchandise for commercial purposes, (b) when such vehicle is designed primarily for carrying freight or other goods and merchandise, and (c) when such vehicle is used for carrying freight or other goods and merchandise on the outside of the vehicle; provided, however, that vehicles carrying freight or other goods from or to any building or premises abutting any boulevard where it is impossible from the location of the building or the character of the freight or other goods to be received or delivered, to receive or deliver the freight or other goods and merchandise from an alley or a side street or a street other than the boulevard, shall be permitted to enter the boulevard at the cross street nearest the building or premises to receive or deliver the freight or other goods, but shall not proceed further on the boulevard than the nearest cross street. Operators of emergency vehicles and such vehicles excepted by permits issued by the executive director are exempt from provisions of this section. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions, it shall not be unlawful to operate any of the vehicles described in clauses (a), (b) and (c) on those portions of Interstate Route 55, and the exit and entrance ramps thereto, which lie between the King Drive Interchange and the north and southbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive and the most easterly lane of northbound Lake Shore Drive and the most westerly lane of southbound Lake Shore Drive and the exit and entrance ramps of Lake Shore Drive which lie between Interstate Route 55 and 31st Street; provided that such vehicles are traveling to or from the McCormick Place complex and its support facilities."

Pretty wordy but begs the question of antique or regular (not truck) plates...

Old 01-19-2014, 02:39 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by 49f3dls
They would be the ones to pay attention too! Did they say anything about antique licensed vehicles ?
I read an old story from the Chicago newspaper about a guy with a ranger with a cap on it registered as an RV who was told by the state that it was OK, but CPD said no, he lost his case in court.

This is from the CPD website FAQ
"I have a small pickup with truck license plates. Can I drive it on Lake Shore Drive?
No. You cannot drive any vehicle designed to carry freight or other commercial goods on Lake Shore Drive--or on any thoroughfare designated as a boulevard-- even if you are not using the vehicle for that purpose. "

Old 01-19-2014, 02:41 PM
9teen56f100
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by homade
Are you guys going to try and make it up to bobj's
If we can get the time off. Are you going?

brian...

Old 01-19-2014, 02:47 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
CPD has taken all the fun out of getting around Chicago. We use to be able to fly down the Ike expressway out of dupage airport at about 1500 feet staying below the Ohara and midway restricted air space but above minimums go between the buildings and look up at the sears tower we would come out at the lake right over buckingham fountain make a quick left call miggs field and tell them we were heading north and wanted to climb to 4000 feet. All legal and a ball to see the city that way. Stopped that as of 9/11/01 !!

Old 01-19-2014, 06:29 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you get to Ed Debevic's if you don't take the LSD?

Old 01-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
You will be fine driving your trucks on lake shore drive . I do it all the time.
It is now longer and you can drive it from Indiana to north of Chicago . It is a very nice road .
If you think you are going to get in trouble.... Just grow a pair and drive it

Old 01-19-2014, 06:59 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Go by way of Billy Goats and uno's pizza !!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Turn left at E Wacker Dr go to N Michigan ave turn right go to Ontario turn left drive past
Rock in roll McDonald's it will be on the right side

Old 01-19-2014, 07:05 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Don't know about you, but I'm not about to pay $8 to park, just to get a $10 Cheeseburger.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:42 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
This discussion about Chicago boulevards reminds me of a guy I met in a gas station in some college town in IN while on my way down to Doc's in '12. I was filling the truck up and an older gentleman came up to look at the F-2 and told me when he was a kid you couldn't drive a truck down a boulevard in Chicago unless you had a woman or a child in the passenger's seat, then it wasn't considered a business truck, it was a passenger vehicle. He said his uncle drove a truck for his job and had a bookie in downtown Chicago, which had an ice cream parlor next store. He said his uncle would ask his mom if he could go downtown with him to get an ice cream, not telling his mother the real reason his uncle wanted to take him. He always got his ice cream. Interesting little story, I thought.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
From Indiana Dunes to Germantown ( bobs) it should take about 4-5 hours going through Chicago via NSD and up Sheridan Rd
If you boys coming from the south or east I would be willing to drive down to Indiana dunes and drive the group / convey up to Bobs from there taking Lake Shore Drive.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by teardropty
Bob, I will be there in Sept. Thanks for stepping up.

Rob, I can't do a spring meet in May.

Doc and others from that direction, you are welcome to stop off in South Michigan/Northern Indiana and rest before working your way around the lake. It may be a few extra miles (like 45) but it would give you a needed break. We could caravan to Bobs from there. I know some of the "back" ways around the city.

If you wanted to avoid Chicago and do something special here's a thought. Come up to Michigan, we'll check out the Gilmore Car Museum (one of the premier museums imho) Welcome to the Gilmore Car Museum and we could take the trucks on the ferry across Lake Michigan. What you would pay in tolls, gas and headache to go up through Chicago would cover the 2.5 hour ferry ride. Goes from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI. Has your old truck been on a ferry before? Mine has.
That would be a great idea. The other alternative is the SS Badger that runs from Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI:
http://www.ssbadger.com

It is an old coal fired ship and it takes about 3 hours. The green weenies tried to have the EPA to shut her down due to "emissions" but it was blocked in court last year. It would be most appropriate to have old trucks sail on a ship that was launched in 1952. Some of our trucks might have taken passage on her in the past? It would make a great picture.

Quick Reply: 2014 Plans--Truckstock, Truckfest, etc. etc.