2014 steering wheel audio control button

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 AM
ctfl
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 steering wheel audio control button

Is there a way to change the function of the steering wheelaudio control seek button on a 2014 F350 Lariat? The default factory function per the manual is;press once to go to the next programmed preset, press and hold to go to thenext available station up or down the frequency band. (This is exactly the way my 2011 Expeditionworks). But it is not working that wayon the 2014 F350. If I press the seek button once momentarily it will go to thenext programmed preset as designed. If I press and hold the button (about 2seconds) until the radio starts seeking and release it will sometimes seek tothe next available station and sometimes it will go directly to the number 6preset. It then gets hung up there. Each time I press and hold the button it justgoes right back to the number 6 preset. Even if I change that preset to a different frequency it still goes towhatever frequency is programmed in number 6. I've brought the truck back tothe dealership twice and have been told that upon further research the way thatthe button is supposed to work now is to press once momentarily and the radiowill change to the next programmed preset, press and hold for a count of 4seconds while watching the display to show "seek all" then releasethe button and it's supposed to seek to the next available radiofrequency. This is very distractingwhile driving and most times it skips available radio stations and other timesstops on complete static. Get the exacttiming (as per Ford service tech) wrong and the radio defaults to the number 6preset. It's very frustrating. Anyway, is there a way to change the functionof the button so that when you press it once the radio will seek to the nextavailable frequency? The same way theseek button on the dash audio control works. I'm not exactly sure how the can-bus system works with thesebuttons. Can you reprogram the button?,the radio?, or the module? What aboutswapping wires in the plug somewhere to make the system think you pressed thedash seek button when you press the steering wheel seek button? Just some random thoughts. I did try takingthe button out of the 2011 expedition and plugged it into the 2014 F350 but gotthe same results as the stock button so simply changing the button seems to beout.