134 convertion the hard way!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 06:12 PM
Newf
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 134 convertion the hard way!

I read some forums concerning this subject and I concluded that i
didnt have a lot to loose, was I wrong or what. I had the system evacuated at Firestone then whent to Pep-Boys and bought the kit then changed it over, it was OK, not great, for a few hours then caput. I think the compresser seized, coinsidence maybe. What next, can I pick one up at the local junk yard, do I need to flush the system if so how. What should I do next, I told you so's won't help. Thanks. I have a 89 Bronco 5LT.

Old 06-26-2003, 08:00 PM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could pick one up at a junkyard but you have no idea how good the part is or even if it works. If it were me, I would take the vehicle to a shop and have it properly converted. See if they can get a rebuilt and converted compressor. You should get something for your core.
Good luck.

Old 06-26-2003, 08:05 PM
94van
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some folks do the change-over kit route and get away with it. If it's done right, some success is obtained. One problem, the R-12 Ford condenser is too small in most cases, but can be used. The other, R-12 & R-134 oils are not compatible, older R-12 drier/accumulators are not compatible with R-134, and sometimes burst causing all the crap to get into the system.

Briefly....... First, you gotta find any leaks. Completely flush the system, repair leaking components as necessary, which includes new green o-rings, new R-134 accumulator/drier, proper oil, and proper amount, pull a 29" vacuum and fill with freon.

Here are two forums.... if you'll take time to read the posts and archives, you'll get a wealth of info from some pros that know their stuff, then go about fixing yours.

http://www.ackits.com

http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/index.htm

There are some good discussions here too, just keep scrolling back to read them.