1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 F1 project

Old 01-08-2014, 01:01 PM
slocop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1949 F1 project

So.. this F1 was owned by my dad in the early 70s. He used it as a ranch truck for years and then sold it to a friend. The truck was inherited by the friends son and relocated to Oregon. Somewhere along the line it received an engine transplant to a big block buick. About six months ago my dad ran into the truck again and ended up buying it back. It now lives in my barn as we restomod it back to life.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:12 PM
slocop
New User
Big block blues

This big block Buick runs but is not what I am looking for. Since the original motor is long gone I think a fuel injected small block would work really nice in there!

Old 01-08-2014, 01:29 PM
slocop
New User
Is this bumper factory?

Anybody familiar with this back bumper?? It sure looks factory. The contour and inner fender bumper support/attachment point make me think it was an option. Also, the truck has metal bed instead of the wood and slats.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Metal bed was standard on a 49. I think the bumper is what is referred to as a ranch bumper? See them quite often on here, not factory. Very nice truck and should make a good project.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:57 PM
jthesby
Junior User
Welcome! Looks like a pretty good start. Wish the one I'm working on was a complete when we purchased it.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:59 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Welcome! Boy, I'd be tempted to just preserve the exterior as-is, it has "the look". EFI and an SBC would be a lot of work, and you'd need to upgrade a lot of other systems to match the speed you'd be capable of. The easiest modern swap is a 283 two-barrel, you can buy adapters to the stock trans (which is what? or did they put a Buick trans in it too?). Gives a nice boost in power but won't break anything unless you're really trying.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:17 PM
DougofMontana
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Slocop, welcome to FTE! If you look under the truck bed I think you'll find a wooden bed hid under that metal. I have '49 F1 that had that metal bed floor. Apparently that's how they left the factory in 49. The truck looks great! I started my '49 build in August and am almost down to the frame. Enjoy it! Great history of the truck.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:51 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
I know a lot of people want shiny paint and that's what I'm doing with mine because I had to strip everything to do such extensive repair but your truck looks awesome. I really have learned to appreciate the patina on older vehicles.

As far as fuel injection, I would give a thumbs up there. I put a 4.6 DOHC in mine. Hoping to get it on the road in the near future. I'm so tired of fiddling with carbs, but I know some feel totally opposite. To each his own, that's what makes this hobby so awesome. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:22 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the best forum ever. You have a very cool project going. Too bad there are several very nice paths to choose from. I personally like the modern drive train under an OEM patina skin. The EFI engine with an electric pump in a 22 gal Mustang tank located between the frame rails behind the rear axle. I would have gone with a Explorer 8.8 limited slip rear if my truck hadn't already had a 9 inch. Mine will be getting a limited slip unit installed, hopefully soon. It's almost dangerous trying to get through an intersection when it's raining. Good luck and let us know now and then how your're coming along.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:45 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A really nice looking truck with a great family history. Good luck with it!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:46 PM
slocop
New User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Welcome! Boy, I'd be tempted to just preserve the exterior as-is, it has "the look". EFI and an SBC would be a lot of work, and you'd need to upgrade a lot of other systems to match the speed you'd be capable of. The easiest modern swap is a 283 two-barrel, you can buy adapters to the stock trans (which is what? or did they put a Buick trans in it too?). Gives a nice boost in power but won't break anything unless you're really trying.
Unfortunately the trans matches the Buick and must go. I have an interesting donor car and story to go with it that I will post at a later date.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:48 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome Slocop! It is always great to have a truck that has a connection to your family history. While you have engine/tranny decisions, the bones of the truck look great. Be sure to enjoy the journey of your project.

Happy Motoring!

DW

Old 01-08-2014, 06:51 PM
slocop
New User
Originally Posted by DougofMontana
Slocop, welcome to FTE! If you look under the truck bed I think you'll find a wooden bed hid under that metal. I have '49 F1 that had that metal bed floor. Apparently that's how they left the factory in 49. The truck looks great! I started my '49 build in August and am almost down to the frame. Enjoy it! Great history of the truck.
"Had" that metal floor? Where you able to cut it out and use/replace the wood below or did you lay new wood over the metal?

Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by slocop
Unfortunately the trans matches the Buick and must go. I have an interesting donor car and story to go with it that I will post at a later date.
If this is the case, the original crossmember is likely already been removed, or modded. That said, wouldn't be too bad to drop in a carbed 302 and T5 for driveablilty. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:57 PM
DougofMontana
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I cut the metal away and pulled the wood, as it was rotted on the places the metal was rusted. I suppose the proper way would have been to use a spot weld drill bit and drill out the 784 (approx. ) spot welds that hold that metal in, but I gave up after weld #35 and got out the air chisel. Was careful around the wheel wells and had the metal off in about 10 minutes.

My plan is to put a nice white oak bed in with polished stainless rub rails.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1949 F1 project