1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Frusturating 68 F100

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:51 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Frusturating 68 F100

I'm currently working on a 68 F100 in shop. It's got a 300, which is not a new motor to me (76 has one). When we got the truck, the owner said it had dropped a valve.

After some diagnostics, I found everything in the valvetrain was intact. The truck hadn't had a tune up in years, and wasn't getting spark. So, I did a full tune up of cap/rotor/plugs/wires/points/contacts and coil, cleaned all the electrical connections, etc. After a new battery, I got the truck cranking. Yet, it won't start. There is spark at all the plugs, cylinders seem to have good compression (I'll be doing a test tomorrow), and starting fluid is getting into the cylinder. It'll catch one or two times, but won't start/stay running.

I was thinking that the timing might be off, and so I've both advanced and retarded the timing at the distributor, and no improvement. I'm wondering if the distributor might be flipped 180. One of the things I noticed that was on the 2 other 300's that I've worked on from mid 70's era trucks, is that the vacuum advance on the distributor is pointing forward, and on this truck is pointing right at the firewall. Is it supposed to be there?

Other than that I'm stumped. If anyone has any ideas on why she won't start, I'd appreciate it.
-Jameson

Old 01-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check the timing. Put the engine on TDC and see if the rotor is pointing to #1 spark plug. Both valves have to be closed with the timing pointer on TDC.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The vacuum advance on my '70 300 i6 is pointing at the firewall.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:14 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
With the dizzy cap off rock the engine over back and forth to see how much play
is in the timing chain. The rotor cab should move almost at the same time the engine does. It may well have jumped time and now who knows what as to plug wires being
moved around the cap or the dizzy out and back in wrong and like that. And it may well have punch a hole in a piston or bent a valve.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
no chain on the 300. it's gear to gear if I remember correctly.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
With the dizzy cap off rock the engine over back and forth to see how much play
is in the timing chain. The rotor cab should move almost at the same time the engine does. It may well have jumped time and now who knows what as to plug wires being
moved around the cap or the dizzy out and back in wrong and like that. And it may well have punch a hole in a piston or bent a valve.
Normally this would be great advice. But in this particular instance 300's don't have a chain. They are gear to gear.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:00 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Thanks, I had forgot that.
Note to self: Take better Meds. Or at least more, Meds are gooood.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:52 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Thanks, I had forgot that.
Note to self: Take better Meds. Or at least more, Meds are gooood.
With "Crown R" up there in the Arctic to help keep warm too!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:04 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
BV and Coke. Wet Coke that is.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Static timing turned out good. #1 piston at tdc and the rotor was pointing at the #1 plug wire.

Started on a compression test, only got 1 and 2 done. Assuming that the tester is correct, 1 has 90 psi and 2 has none.

More tomorrow

-Jameson

Old 01-09-2014, 12:22 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Ya might pull the rocker/valve cover and see if all the valves are working.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:56 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jgavac
Static timing turned out good. #1 piston at tdc and the rotor was pointing at the #1 plug wire.

Started on a compression test, only got 1 and 2 done. Assuming that the tester is correct, 1 has 90 psi and 2 has none.

More tomorrow

-Jameson
Two options at this point, leak down test(put air in spark plug hole while at tdc compression, see where air comes out) Or remove the rocker arms and retest compression.

After some diagnostics, I found everything in the valvetrain was intact.
Are you sure, how do you know? I assume you pulled the valve cover and inspected?

A bent or sunken valve can hide, if you pull the valve cover and rockers lay a strait edge on the top of the valves, look for gaps between it and the valves. A gap at one means that valve is lower and thus most likely bent. If one is high, it's likely sunken, this happens to exhaust valves when they get too hot/worn out in older engines with "new" unleaded fuel. They beat themselves deeper into the head, sinking them in the head making them stick up.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM
CougarJohn
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be suspicious of the ignition switch. The coil gets its voltage off the solenoid from the "I" terminal when you are cranking. Once the ignition switch goes from start to run, voltage comes from the switch directly.
Take a voltmeter and check voltage at the + coil terminal with the ignition switch on and the truck not running. You should have something between 7 and 12 volts depending on what is in the distributor and whether or not the points are closed.
Semper Fi

Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 PM
mattri
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You mentioned that it will catch a few times on starter fluid but won't stay running- are you sure it's getting fuel?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by mattri
You mentioned that it will catch a few times on starter fluid but won't stay running- are you sure it's getting fuel?
It sounded like it would fire, but after cranking there was still starting fluid in the cylinders. Leading me to believe it wasn't actually igniting

Originally Posted by BruteFord
Two options at this point, leak down test(put air in spark plug hole while at tdc compression, see where air comes out) Or remove the rocker arms and retest compression.

Are you sure, how do you know? I assume you pulled the valve cover and inspected?

A bent or sunken valve can hide, if you pull the valve cover and rockers lay a strait edge on the top of the valves, look for gaps between it and the valves. A gap at one means that valve is lower and thus most likely bent. If one is high, it's likely sunken, this happens to exhaust valves when they get too hot/worn out in older engines with "new" unleaded fuel. They beat themselves deeper into the head, sinking them in the head making them stick up.
The valve cover was off when I started in on it. At the time, nothing looked unusual. I popped it off again today and cranked the engine over. All the valves are moving normal. I didn't see in any valves that had those indications for bent valves.

Last edited by jgavac; 01-10-2014 at 10:30 PM. Reason: corrected it

Quick Reply: Frusturating 68 F100