6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Thoughts on a block heater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 AM
mcordovilla
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on a block heater?

I have a 2010 6.4 and was thinking I should install a block heater since it didn't come with one. I went to a dealer and they and a tech there basically are telling me the 6.4 doesn't need it and aretrying to talk me out of it. my thought and gut feeling being a new diesel owner but not new to diesels tells me otherwise. Is there something I don't know about the 6.4?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:53 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yours has one, now it might not have a cord but it has a block heater. Look behind the front bumper on the passenger side if you have one it will be tied off somewhere there. If your truck originally came from a warm weather state it might not have a cord, but I've never heard of a truck not have the heater itself. Look above the starter and you should see a two prong plug, that's where the cord goes. You can get a cord from many places, Ford, Amazon, Ect. I got mine from NAPA for $16.00.
Ford says anything below -10 you need to plug it in, I plug mine in anytime below thirty and as far as I'm concerned for what little electricity it takes it's worth every penny. Warms up much quicker and makes me not worry about the 15W40 being too thick for a cold start.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
Yours has one, now it might not have a cord but it has a block heater. Look behind the front bumper on the passenger side if you have one it will be tied off somewhere there. If your truck originally came from a warm weather state it might not have a cord, but I've never heard of a truck not have the heater itself. Look above the starter and you should see a two prong plug, that's where the cord goes. You can get a cord from many places, Ford, Amazon, Ect. I got mine from NAPA for $16.00.
Ford says anything below -10 you need to plug it in, I plug mine in anytime below thirty and as far as I'm concerned for what little electricity it takes it's worth every penny. Warms up much quicker and makes me not worry about the 15W40 being too thick for a cold start.
Correct! Only some the 6.7 engines came with the heater installed. All 6.4, 6.0s and 7.3s came with the heater, like Bubbasz1 said, it just may not have the cord. It's an easy install if you want it though. My '13 6.7 didn't come with one, but it's here on my table to put in if it ever warms up to where I can. The heater is not NEEDED, but most of us like them to help with faster warm ups, better oil flow when cold to reduce engine wear on startup and to warm us quicker.

Monty

Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by golfmedik
The heater is not NEEDED,
Monty

That's because you live in Georgia. It was -11 this morning and my 6.0 truck complained enthusiastically about the temperature upon startup, even being plugged in and getting a good cycle on the glow plugs. All my doors were froze shut, all the windows were froze shut, and by the time I managed to get the drivers door yanked open, most of my fingers were froze shut.

My 6.4 gets babied and is allowed to live in the garage during the winter, all plugged in nice and toasty till old man winter takes a hike. If by chance it does manage to get stuck outside on an especially cold day, it starts better than the 6.0 (and quieter) but it still likes that heater plug for sure.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 PM
URDADDY
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 05 6.0 hated the cold. If I didn't plug the heater in and it was below 30 it definitely told me about it. Now my 09 6.4 doesn't seem to care a bit. Have started it without plugging it in in about 0-5 degrees and no problems at all. I do agree that plugging in the block heater definitely gets the truck warm faster and has to be better on the truck as far as oil temps go. Have wondered about trans temp though. Would be nice if one cord could keep them both warm and toasty.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:40 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tgreening
That's because you live in Georgia. .
Maybe I should have said "It's not NEEDED according to FORD"!

Old 01-08-2014, 04:25 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
With the 6.4 it all depends on how fast you want heat, even with it plugged in the last couple of days it hasn't got to temp and that's with a front cover also, but it sure is nice on a minus 15 day to have some sort of heat when you get in the truck. Now if we could get those heated seats to come on when you start it up that would be nice.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:01 AM
mcordovilla
Freshman User
Thanks for all the reply's and I did look for the cord before but didnt see one. IO will look again but its good to know that the heater is installed and will go get a cord. Sounds like Napa is the place to get it. Anyone know the Number off hand or is it stocked or A special order part.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
I found this in a previous post after a quick search on this website.

I just purchased my cord from Napa for my 2008 6.4L
Part # 28216 $20.
I wasn't paying fomoco price

Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Booma
Junior User
My Napa store didn't have one in stock, would take several days. Cost would include shipping and tax. Their part number "Kats 28216"can be found at Amazon for $11.20. I ordered one yesterday afternoon, supposed to be here by Friday.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
The NAPA cord is just that, a cord, the ford one is wrapped for protection, I used that plastic covering for harnesses, worked fine.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Shoo12
New User
Since you guys are on the topic of block heaters. Any way to know if it's actually working. I've plugged mine in and not plugged it in on equally cold nights and have not noticed a difference in the way it starts. Both ways ( plugged and not plugged in) glow plug light cycles on for about 15 seconds and fires right up. Both ways very slightly choppy. But I've yet to test the difference between just firing it up and taking off. I've always let it warm up for ten minutes or so on cold starts. I've also read here that these newer motors don't need to be heated and I believe it cuz when I didn't plug it in it was -2 degrees over night and again it fired up the same as if I had it plugged in. So again any way to know if the block heater is functioning?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Shoo12
Since you guys are on the topic of block heaters. Any way to know if it's actually working. I've plugged mine in and not plugged it in on equally cold nights and have not noticed a difference in the way it starts. Both ways ( plugged and not plugged in) glow plug light cycles on for about 15 seconds and fires right up. Both ways very slightly choppy. But I've yet to test the difference between just firing it up and taking off. I've always let it warm up for ten minutes or so on cold starts. I've also read here that these newer motors don't need to be heated and I believe it cuz when I didn't plug it in it was -2 degrees over night and again it fired up the same as if I had it plugged in. So again any way to know if the block heater is functioning?
You can touch the block in the morning and tell if the heaters working , it will be warm.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Shoo12
New User
Thanks will do

Old 01-08-2014, 10:40 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simple electrical tools can tell you if there's continuity through the cord. If there is, it's working. If there's not, it's not.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a block heater?