Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

old diesels not able to drive in california

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 AM
goose_ss4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
old diesels not able to drive in california

has anyone heard of the new CARB emission laws not allowing older diesels to operate in california? there was some talk on some other forums and i look at CARB website for info, but i could not find a definate answer on trucks like ours? they are privately owned veichles for personal use non comercial. how can they just up and tell me i cant drive my truck anymore?

i was just getting interested in another OBS crew cab to build, but sounds like i need to get a superduty now for emissions. my 94 is exempt for being so old. WTF is going on.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 AM
ToughOldFord
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All pickups are commercial vehicles in California. (That's why there are 'weight fees' on our registration.)

But worry not, (so far), the old truck ban is on semi-trucks and heavy haulers (Over 10K lbs) only so far. Our pickups are exempt, but '98 and newer have to get smog checks.

That Moonbat **** Mary Nichols that's in charge of CARB is on a one-woman mission to eliminate diesels from the state even if she has to used falsified data to do it, so don't be surprised when someday the ban apples to our pickups as well.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:57 AM
goose_ss4
Senior User
its just crazy to think and feel for though guys to have to make the decision to either put on the engine killing emission requirements parts, or buy a whole new truck! ouch

it just doesnt make any sense. i get better milage, cheaper cost to maintain, killer cheap insurnance, and not to mention a badass ride to along with it.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:00 AM
ToughOldFord
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The retrofit costs $18K, we are currently doing it to our trucks at work.

It has NOTHING to do with the environment, it's all about control and money: (This is satire, but it's not far off....)

This would be funny if it wasn't so true. The California Air Resource Board, (CARB), needs to be closed permanently and Mary Nichols needs to be brought up on terrorist charges.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 AM
MPoulson
Senior User
If the US measured emissions by miles driven (like everyone else!) instead of per pound of fuel burned, diesels would be the clean choice.
Diesel hybrids would be the shiznet.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 AM
goose_ss4
Senior User
Or test her for drugs. Is she high or something?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
See and california wonders why its broke. As part of the farming ranching community, NO ONE from around here hauls to california anymore because the truck cant be more than 10 years old or something stupid. We have a 69, 77, 88 and 01.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Golden Helmet
Senior User
Weirdly enough, right now California seems to be the most lax when it comes to older diesels, at least for pickup trucks. If it's '97 or older, there are no safety inspections or emissions checks, you just pay your outrageous fee every year and that's it. For the post-'97 diesels, on some at least, you have to get them "smog checked," but all they do is plug in their computer, no sniffer test; or at least, that's how it works for the two guys with 6.0's I know.

I'm not sure how many other states require it, but Arizona requires you to get your diesel smogged regardless of year, but all they check is the opacity of your exhaust. Utah requires both a safety and an emissions inspection every single year if you have an older vehicle. I wonder how the Dodge / Cummins guys manage to pass...

Old 01-07-2014, 05:23 PM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Golden Helmet
If it's '97 or older, there are no safety inspections
To my knowledge, NO vehicle gets a safety inspection in CA. The only regular checks they do are for emissions.

So remember, it can have bald tires, no working lights, no wipers, worn suspension, and no brakes, but as long as it passes ye old smog test, it's A-OK in California.

Mike

Old 01-08-2014, 10:08 AM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I feel for you guys! If Kentucky ever decided require inspections of any type, the roads here wouldn't have 15 vehicles on them! LOL.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Gettysburg150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo
To my knowledge, NO vehicle gets a safety inspection in CA. The only regular checks they do are for emissions.

So remember, it can have bald tires, no working lights, no wipers, worn suspension, and no brakes, but as long as it passes ye old smog test, it's A-OK in California.

Mike
Thats nuts.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've failed a vehicle for state inspection due to it being unsafe just to see it a month later, fresh sticker, and no repairs

Old 01-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Vanet
Junior User
Originally Posted by Golden Helmet
Weirdly enough, right now California seems to be the most lax when it comes to older diesels, at least for pickup trucks. If it's '97 or older, there are no safety inspections or emissions checks, you just pay your outrageous fee every year and that's it. For the post-'97 diesels, on some at least, you have to get them "smog checked," but all they do is plug in their computer, no sniffer test; or at least, that's how it works for the two guys with 6.0's I know.

I'm not sure how many other states require it, but Arizona requires you to get your diesel smogged regardless of year, but all they check is the opacity of your exhaust. Utah requires both a safety and an emissions inspection every single year if you have an older vehicle. I wonder how the Dodge / Cummins guys manage to pass...
Not so. Only smog test in AZ is Phx the rest of the state no test at all.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Cpdenton
Freshman User
Just another reason I love Arkansas.....and I hate arkansas.

For me, I can do whatever I want to my vehicles. Just keep them insured and pay the 27 bucks registration every year and we are good to go. Do I want a 500 c.i. Cadillac in my pinto....no problem. The only safety inspections are when you get pulled over if the officer sees something unsafe, they give you a fix it ticket.

On the flip side, any jerk can drive any old unsafe cobbled together heap down the road as long as they avoid police...

I actually fixed a truck once that one of the rear wheel cylinders was leaking, so they just cut and crimped that brake line....seriously. And it had a 5th wheel hitch in the back that they used to pull a horse trailer, with their 1/2 ton Chevy.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:22 PM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpdenton
Just another reason I love Arkansas.....and I hate arkansas. For me, I can do whatever I want to my vehicles. Just keep them insured and pay the 27 bucks registration every year and we are good to go. Do I want a 500 c.i. Cadillac in my pinto....no problem. The only safety inspections are when you get pulled over if the officer sees something unsafe, they give you a fix it ticket. On the flip side, any jerk can drive any old unsafe cobbled together heap down the road as long as they avoid police... I actually fixed a truck once that one of the rear wheel cylinders was leaking, so they just cut and crimped that brake line....seriously. And it had a 5th wheel hitch in the back that they used to pull a horse trailer, with their 1/2 ton Chevy.
That's the same way it is here in Kentucky.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:37 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought Montana was bad with our permanent registration taxes on the pre 96 trucks of 119 dollars then we never have to do it again

Quick Reply: old diesels not able to drive in california