Radius arm bushing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 PM
Mustangking1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radius arm bushing replacement

Hello,

I need to replace the radius arm bushings and was wondering what the best way to do this would be?

The only bushing that is a must replace is on the drivers side right after the nut.

Can I replace just that one without taking the coil springs off or would I kill myself if I didnt?

Right now the bushing is split, is it still safe to drive on for alittle while or do I need to replace the bushing before I really drive It anymore?

What would happen if the bushing fell off while driving down the road?

What is the correct procedure to replace the bushings?

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-06-2014, 12:16 AM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2wd or 4wd?
When I did them on my F100 2wd I dropped the whole i-beam out to replace the radius arm bushings plus I did the pivot bushings on the i-beams also.
On my Bronco(4wd straight axle) I blocked up the body then removed the radius arm nuts on both sides and was able to push axle forward enough with my foot to get in the new radius arm bushings.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:27 AM
rockittsled
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IF they have already been replaced, then the brackets may be bolted in, rivets knocked out already. if so, it can be done on ramps

break nut loose
remove bracket
replace bushings
reassemble

......sounds simple, doesn't it

please use a maintenance manual for proper torque values

Old 01-06-2014, 12:32 AM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rockittsled
IF they have already been replaced, then the brackets may be bolted in, rivets knocked out already. if so, it can be done on ramps

break nut loose
remove bracket
replace bushings
reassemble

......sounds simple, doesn't it

please use a maintenance manual for proper torque values
He can only hope the rivets have been drilled out lol. Mine were not and I didn't feel like drilling them out so it made it a tad rougher.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 AM
rockittsled
Elder User
Originally Posted by 79FordBlake
He can only hope the rivets have been drilled out lol. Mine were not and I didn't feel like drilling them out so it made it a tad rougher.
mine were

Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 AM
Mustangking1
Senior User
Mine are still rivited on.
What is the reason to grind the rivits off?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
It really is not all that difficult, once you remove the nut and take the back bushing off, you can use a cumalong to a tree and pull the axle far enough forward to replace that bushing without taking the bracket off, at worst you might have to take the both through at the coil spring off, as per your other question, the truck is perfectly safe to drive like that, you may get some noise, and yes you could just replace the one bad outer bushing, that would be the easy way out but the kit should come with all the parts needed to do one side

Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 AM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You grind the rivets off to drop the bracket. To replace the bushings you remove the large nut at the end of the radius arm. Then you remove the bolts (or rivets) holding the bracket to the frame. Remove old bushings and replace, bolt bracket on, then tighten the large nut on the radius arm.

If the bushing goes completely out, it will cause a 'popping' sound as the radius arm bangs against the bracket. This will cause the steering to be a bit sloppy and cause extra tire wear. Eventually it will destroy the bracket and radius arm,too.

If you want to remove the front springs, I've always just jacked the frame up until the front tire is just barely clear of the ground, then removed the spring. It will be fully extended, so no tension will be on it.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Mustangking1
Senior User
Ok, will look into ordering the bushings, would this create a feeling that the truck is wondering on the road?

The wondering may be caused by the ball joints or steering box.

I guess I need to figure out how to replace ball joints maybe.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
Your truck should not have ball joints unless its 4WD which it doesn't look like, you can lay under the truck and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth and see where the slop is, you probably need a steering box as these trucks commonly do

Old 01-06-2014, 08:43 AM
lance65
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
WOW, you guys are doing it the hard way!
1) Raise truck(1 side at a time), support on stands,remove front wheel.
2) remove lower shock bolt
3)put floor jack under I-beam,raise up to take tension off radius arm,loosen radius arm nut and remove rear bushing.
4)remove upper coil spring retainer from spring bucket(the coil spring will not come flying out as it is bolted to the I beam on the bottom)
5)lower floor jack,slide radius arm out of bracket and remove bushing.
6)install new bushings/radius arm/coil spring retainer/lower shock bolt in reverse order...noting the direction of the washers on the bushings.
7)tighten radius arm nut all the way down,install wheel and torque nut down to "I THINK" 200ft lbs...double check that.
8) lower vehicle and do other side the same way. Will take you the better part of the afternoon for your first time....you will get faster at it the more times you do it(for other trucks)

Old 01-06-2014, 08:45 AM
lance65
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
and the radius arm nut is 1 1/8",lower shock bolt is 3/4",upper coil spring retainer is 9/16".

Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Mustangking1
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford_pickup
Your truck should not have ball joints unless its 4WD which it doesn't look like, you can lay under the truck and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth and see where the slop is, you probably need a steering box as these trucks commonly do
I was told by my ford dealer that the upper and lower ball joints need to be replaced.

How do I tell what is worn on the suspension causing wondering?

It wont hurt it if I just do the driverside? The passengerside looks fine.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:27 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
Is it 4WD, I think you have King Pins, I could be wrong though, you should be fine just doing the side that is fine, the parts are cheap though and if it was me I'd do both sides, like I said lay underneath and watch the steering while someone jerks the steering wheel back and forth, it should all move together in unison, you will notice where the slop is if the truck has some

Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Mustangking1
Senior User
Its 2wd, how do I tell if the king pins are bad? If they are bad how difficult is it to replace kingpins?

Quick Reply: Radius arm bushing replacement