Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine bucking/missing inconsistently. Got codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4-350
Ok I changed that canister purge solenoid and it seems to be doing MUCH better. I haven't driven it yet because I put some quiksteel over an exhaust leak and am going to let it sit a couple days to cure. From giving it gas however it seemed to have started better and when I goose the throttle it doesn't make that sputter sound so much.

Didn't have a chance to check codes again. That polar vortex is blowing right now in NC and am minimizing exposure since Ill be out in it all day tomorrow!! (stupid global warming)

One thing I did have and forgot...please tell me if this is a big deal. There is a "nipple" coming off of the passenger side-rear of the upper intake. It was plugged when I bought the truck. Now I have seen pictures of others like it and they had a hose going from there to the PCV valve. Would this help it run better having it unplugged going to PCV valve or not much difference? I hadn't done it yet because I didn't want to undo something that should be done!

The truck almost acted as though it were being choked when you gave it gas but would idle fine
Thank you very much gents
It is in your best interest to install a PCV valve and make sure the fresh air intake on the driver side valve cover is attached to the airbox.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:02 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Ok I changed that canister purge solenoid and it seems to be doing MUCH better. I haven't driven it yet because I put some quiksteel over an exhaust leak and am going to let it sit a couple days to cure. From giving it gas however it seemed to have started better and when I goose the throttle it doesn't make that sputter sound so much.

Didn't have a chance to check codes again. That polar vortex is blowing right now in NC and am minimizing exposure since Ill be out in it all day tomorrow!! (stupid global warming)

One thing I did have and forgot...please tell me if this is a big deal. There is a "nipple" coming off of the passenger side-rear of the upper intake. It was plugged when I bought the truck. Now I have seen pictures of others like it and they had a hose going from there to the PCV valve. Would this help it run better having it unplugged going to PCV valve or not much difference? I hadn't done it yet because I didn't want to undo something that should be done!

The truck almost acted as though it were being choked when you gave it gas but would idle fine
Thank you very much gents
You don't mention anything about the hole in the valve cover where the PCV valve should be located, so is the PCV valve just venting to the engine bay, or is there a hose attached that leads elsewhere and if so, where to?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:29 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DBGrif91
You don't mention anything about the hole in the valve cover where the PCV valve should be located, so is the PCV valve just venting to the engine bay, or is there a hose attached that leads elsewhere and if so, where to?
Oh sorry. I put a new PCV valve in there...it was venting to the engine bay. I hooked a hose to it and ran it to that nipple on the upper intake. Very little change in performance.
I took a video of it with my phone so you can HEAR what it is doing.
Let's see if I can get it posted

Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...94665685409925

Ok, this link is to the video. it is my Facebook page so please don't stock me

(copy and paste)

The more subtle of the two "taping" or "knocking" noises is a small exhaust leak, feels like it is coming out of that tube that runs between the heads. Anyways....that louder knocking or tapping is the noise it makes when I goose it in Neutral/Park or accelerate while driving.
Almost acts like it is choking....I am still trying to research the issue.
I checked the codes again but did it wrong again, didn't have time to do it again tonight. WIll have to wait until tomorrow to do it again (may pick up an OBDI like was suggested.

Thanks guys

Old 01-08-2014, 06:25 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
Ok, went out and got the codes right. About to go check what they mean

Old 01-08-2014, 07:22 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
I can't help you much on the noise- my hearing is terrible, even with headphones, apparently.

Code 116- It's likely a bad coolant temp sensor. You can test it if you want: Fuel Injection Technical Library » Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT)

Code 636: No clue.

Code 172: If you're certain the air injection tube is leaking, that's likely one cause of this code. Without a functional thermactor system you will continually get codes that indicate lean or rich conditions. Many people have deleted their thermactor systems but I have no idea whether they just ignore the codes or if they have a way around them. Personally, I still have mine b/c I enjoy fuel efficiency, for what it's worth from my 5.8 anyway.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:25 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
636....trans temp....transmission was ice cold. Got that in both KOEO and KOER

KOEO 114 IAT sensor out of range.

KOER 116 ECT sensor out of range.

172 O2 sensor not switching. is or was too lean.

So, not sure what the IAT plays into this but could the ECT be faulty, making a lean condition? Plus Ive got that exhaust leak..could that play into it?

Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master

So, not sure what the IAT plays into this but could the ECT be faulty, making a lean condition? Plus Ive got that exhaust leak..could that play into it?
You may want to double check the reference voltage at your sensors. Ideally this should be done back probing the connectors with a voltmeter. Use this website to find out for sure which pins you need to check on each sensor: Fuel Injection Technical Library I'm not saying both of those sensors can't be bad, but to have 2 of them come up at the same time can indicate a problem with the VREF circuit. It's a gray/red wire that runs to every sensor. Check it against ground at each sensor, KOEO. You'll want to see the same number at each sensor. If it's different at one sensor versus the others, there's probably a continuity issue you need to isolate.

A cheap meter can go for around $10.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:40 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
which 2? O2 sensor and IAT? I will take my meter and check the voltage on those sensors and see what I can get.

Is it a possibility that one of those sensors messing up can cause the codes on the others?

Thank you very much for the quick reply and continued help on this

Old 01-09-2014, 07:35 AM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Check the VREF at every sensor. TPS, EVP, O2, IAT....anything listed on that technical website I linked you to. You want to be looking for the same number at each sensor.

No, it's probably not that one sensor is causing a problem with the others. The VREF circuit is wired in parallel to all the sensors. The point is to give the computer a point of reference (hence, the Voltage REFerence circuit) to "see" the movement and change in each sensor. So, the EVP for example- the computer sees 5.0 volts going in, and then when the EGR valve opens, it sees 1.4 volts coming back out. This tells the computer how far open the EGR valve is. I'm probably not right with the numbers, but you get the idea.

By checking the VREF at every sensor, you're making sure that you don't have a short to ground or corrosion problem in the circuit that's causing a false code.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:21 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts

Codes 114, 116, 636 can be caused if you did not warm up the engine and transmission before running the KOEO tests. If the outside temperature is very cold you may also receive 114/116 even after warming up the engine for a few minutes.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:16 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
Originally Posted by DBGrif91
Check the VREF at every sensor. TPS, EVP, O2, IAT....anything listed on that technical website I linked you to. You want to be looking for the same number at each sensor.

No, it's probably not that one sensor is causing a problem with the others. The VREF circuit is wired in parallel to all the sensors. The point is to give the computer a point of reference (hence, the Voltage REFerence circuit) to "see" the movement and change in each sensor. So, the EVP for example- the computer sees 5.0 volts going in, and then when the EGR valve opens, it sees 1.4 volts coming back out. This tells the computer how far open the EGR valve is. I'm probably not right with the numbers, but you get the idea.

By checking the VREF at every sensor, you're making sure that you don't have a short to ground or corrosion problem in the circuit that's causing a false code.

Ok, took me a LONG time but I ended up having to replace the O2 sensor and the ECT sensor. It is STILL making that "rappy" noise when I goose the throttle but especially when in gear, under load.
So, I am thinking I have a vac leak...but, I have gone through I don't know how many cans of carb n choke cleaner trying to find a leak.
I am about to take it to a shop but I just hate to do that.

I sincerely appreciate your helping me on this.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:22 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
Originally Posted by rla2005
Codes 114, 116, 636 can be caused if you did not warm up the engine and transmission before running the KOEO tests. If the outside temperature is very cold you may also receive 114/116 even after warming up the engine for a few minutes.
Yeah copy that. I was worried about them other codes until I read about the "dangers" (overstated) of running codes on cold truck.

We still had the tail end of that arctic vortex (caused by global warming) so it was still very cool out so that makes sense

Old 01-09-2014, 07:31 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
Ok so I ran the codes again.

KOEO: 111....gtg!

KOER: 311..... Thermactor air system inoperative? I have NO clue what that is. Still looking into it.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:11 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
Ok, so my TAB and TAD are causing this code probably? It is hard for me to believe that vac lines that small could be causing such a violent backfire/popping. But, what do I know?

Edit: Went out quick and checked for vacuum at both TAB and TAD and I can barely feel it but hear it. Not sure where to go from here

Quick Reply: Engine bucking/missing inconsistently. Got codes