1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

59 F100 Resto/Mod Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
59 F100 Resto/Mod Build

Alright so its time to start the build thread. I have a issue with pics cuz I think its retarted we need to upload them to like photobucket first. Pain in the butt, but hey ill do my best!

Ill start out with how this all happened (Summer 2013).... I have a 74 F250 4x4 and a 79 Bronco (dads first car he bought at 16 new). So I was at the junk yard looking for parts for the 73-79 trucks so I could sell for a profit or use or just to save from the crusher. Im walking down a isle of about 30 trucks and right there in the middle is a 59 F100. All primer gray. I start looking it over and obviously someone had already found it and picked a lot of parts off it. But the thing was rust free, dent free, and seemingly bondo free. It was a small window cab. The doors were laying on the ground and someone had put another trucks wheels on it so the doors were now crushed but I knew I had to do something about saving this truck. The date on the bed box said it would be crushed in two weeks.... I went to talk to the manager of the yard and he said there was no way he would go through the paperwork to sell me the whole truck.... WTF. Im sitting here ready to pay him to save this classic and he wants no part in it. He says I can take the parts I want but he will be crushing it. So this pissed me off and I was like ok fine how much for the cab? He said $300 but you have to get it out. Im like uh its buried deep in the row and is blocked in by another row of trucks. Cant you use the forklift to get it out for me? His response is NOOOO! We don't do that. You come here and get the parts urself with ur tools. We cant waste our time to get parts for you... So at this point im like ok a** h**e.... So now im really mad. I start walking back to go talk to my friends about what just happened and as im on my way back, here is their forklift lifting the cab off a chevy for some Mexican guy. So im now like ok awesome, so since im white they wont help me yet they have no issue doing it for this guy cuz they are all Mexican? This is part of where this racism BS comes from. So I then go back to the manager and ask what the heck is up with that and he just said he had to get back to work.... I then go back to see the forklift is now loading this guys trailer with the cab and a bed! So now I know where I stand in all this.... really unfair.

So its me and 2 friends. We decide that we will try to lift the cab above our heads and try to carry it over the hoods of other trucks and out to where we can put it on a cart and get it out of there.... So that's what we did. Three of us lifted the cab up above our heads and carried it a good 30-40 yards above our heads in one big motion without dropping it! So I ended up buying the cab, hood, a fender, grille, tailgate, lower valence with the blinkers, and some wind wings. Best part was the person at the counter gave me a break and didn't charge me for all the parts! Very nice lady and I told her what the manager had said and she apologized and in the end basically got a lot cheap.

Now I have this cab and all these parts at home (im 20 and go to college down the street so saw no point in wasting money by living on campus) and my dad is like so ur selling all this right? And im like yea sure I guess. Told him the story and he had a few choice words to say.....

Well now the parts I have are starting to grow on my. I start thinking of how cool it would be to have a working running 59... So I look on craigslist and find a 59 f100 in a field for $1700. Its in rough shape but all seems doable. So long story short but I end up buying the truck for a total of $1200 including the flat bed I rented to tow it home with my 74 F250. I get it home and I decided I don't like the big window cab so I swapped cabs and all. So this is where I stand now. Ill start posting pics from when I got it home, to the tear down stage and cab swap, and then any and all progress from there. Ill also add in details about what I plan to do with this truck look and appearance wise and use

Sorry for the long dissertation! But now apparently a 56 Ford sedan is sitting in this same junk yard -.- I have no money to spend on another car but ill take pics and see if its worth trying to save for anyone out here g Speaking of $$$ since im a college student this build wont be super fast, itl just go as fast as I can earn and save money and have a little spending money on the side for this project

Ill post pics tonight!

Old 12-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cant wait to see.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:58 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

But I got ta say becoming a supporter is the fastest and easiest way to post pics right from
your whatever pad/cell thing or home computer.
Few of us look in the users Gallery or album as you can see by your recent visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html Bob's link is not working. Can someone in the know tell me why?

How to upload pictures to the FTE Forums. - YouTube. Thanks Sam Rusty_Old_F250. Best we can find is that this video was done by Gundown64

Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Lol thanks. I usualy use photo bucket cuz then all my pics are in one place and I can use it on other forumns with goofy pic upload designs. But thanks at some point ill make a album

Old 12-29-2013, 12:49 AM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Picture time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is how it al started as stated above. One 59 f100 in the parts yard

Had to save what I could!

Then I find this on craigslist about a hour away

390 Fe engine!

Got the price down from 1700 to 1000 and had to drive a hour back home to get the trailer from my u haul because they were the only ones who had the right size then drive back. Well worth the trip. Girlfriend.... not so happy hehe....

I love when my fans follow me

Got her home in one piece

The cab I got from the yard is almost all original. But someone cut a hole for a tape player -.-

Then I started the tear down. Again, this is all in a two week process from the day I got it. Again, girlfriend not happy haha She thinks its my trucks, then her on the list at times. Im like hey just doing my part to save some American history. We can go to the mall or beach any time.lol

Pulling old big window cab off

Going to pull motor and C6

Cleaning up frame so I can paint it before putting the new cab on (I like the small window a lot better). g

So I painted up the engine and just put her back in to mock up the look so I had something to drool over hehe

Unfortunately that engine was a 67 date code and a guy I met from selling parts would not let go the fact I had his date correct engine he needs for this S code 67 mustang he was trying to restore. Sooooo I ended up trading the short block for a 14' fishing boat! Best deal ive ever made hehe. Don't worry, I saved the intake and ended up scoring a set of edelbrock heads. So what im doing is going to build a stroker 390 so it will be a 445! Ed heads with a full port and roller cam with t and d roller rockers.... Ended up trading a old tranny for a new short block so now I have another 390 to build with

Really not much rust anywhere on this thing. Havent taken the bed off to look under it yet but still... really clean!

Ok time for everyone to laugh at me and my 3 friends trying to wrestle the new cab on in the street with is a hill.... Nice slope and we are trying to lift the cab on at the bottom going up... FAIL! We did it though haha

So this is where im at now.... Cab still needs to be bolted down on the new mounts I got. And im going to lift off the bed to paint he frame, box the frame partly, and do some X braces to keep it from flexing.

Now I plan on doing the bed the easy way. No more me and all my friends being dumb and lifting it by hand hehe. Sooooo I made a gantry crane with scrap steel I had around!

Now im a little worried it wont hold up to a lot of weight.. I over worry about everything! But today I had the chance to test it on a friends 75 F250 today. And it worked great!!!! Bed swap time for him!

And last but not least, of TODAYS activities consisted of going to the junk yard since it was half off day and pulling this crown vic front end from a police cruiser! And the best part was the engine was already out. Made work easy haha

So that's where im at right now.... Other then that ill keep posting and stuff and reading all your threads and answering questions. For now im off to bed because I got a Charger game to be at in the morning wooo wooo!!!

But here is a 56 Ford sedan at the junk yard.... Poor thing. So I did my civic duty and pulled the dash and complete gauge cluster an took it home for a wall hanger hehe I have a serious condition... Impulse by back up by Ford syndrome g

Old 12-29-2013, 01:50 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking good there Bud. Ya shouldn't have any trouble selling the big window cab to
fund yer project.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:45 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Oh its already been sold. Took a few months to finally sell it. Had about 9 guys bail on me who claimed they would come get it.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:19 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Update!

So yesterday I power washed the CV suspension and man I had no idea it was nice aluminum color under all that black grease haha So the CV is clean now. And since its in my parents yard as of right now I need to disguise it so my dad doesn't make me move it g

He will never notice it at the front door now

Also, thanks to RIPPY! I got some 1.5" solid bar and put it on a lathe and drilled it for a 5/8" bolt. It will be used for spacers between the frame and cv suspension mount. Came out very nice in my opinion.

Today wont be very productive but I have the girlfriend helping me put my new combo tool chest and rolling cart together Gotta organize my tools finally. Been just using my dads massive tool chest.lol

Old 01-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Looks great keep those pictures coming.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Naw Dad will never see it.......LOL

Old 01-02-2014, 10:58 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Haha he didn't till the third time driving out.lol

Old 01-03-2014, 09:19 AM
millertme
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice!!! I'll prob end up replacing the cab on mine due to the amount of rust at the sills, cab mounts, rear quarters. :-/

Can't wait to see how that crown vic mounts up.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
There is a thread on here where the cab I sold is being derusted. And it looks great! Ill try to find it cuz they are doing a good job and you might wana go ahead and fix your cab.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:19 PM
rippy154
Senior User
Looking good. I own 2 old lathes 1 is a 10" logan and the other is a 15" simplex. I also have an old bridgeport.

They are all late 50's. I love making parts on them. I think my favorite part of building stuff is using some of the tools I have made or saved from the scrap yard. I try to imagine all the craftsmen that have used them before me. Sounds kinda gay now that I typed that out but OH well LOL

Maybe we should start a thread on tools we use to restore and build our projects.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:55 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rippy154
Looking good. I own 2 old lathes 1 is a 10" logan and the other is a 15" simplex. I also have an old bridgeport.

They are all late 50's. I love making parts on them. I think my favorite part of building stuff is using some of the tools I have made or saved from the scrap yard. I try to imagine all the craftsmen that have used them before me. Sounds kinda gay now that I typed that out but OH well LOL

Maybe we should start a thread on tools we use to restore and build our projects.
Nice! I went to my friends house a few min away and we did it on his. Theirs is from 1930 I believe and it works great! Once I figure out how tall each spacer needs to be im going to cut them to size on the lathe as well

Oh! How did you decide how much of the bottom frame to cut off so you could put in that L bracket to make it a flush mounting spot? Ad what did you cut the frame with?

Quick Reply: 59 F100 Resto/Mod Build