Sponsored by: DP Tuner

possible turbo problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 12:10 PM
BM_KELLY
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry possible turbo problem

Has Anyone Had Any Problems With Their Turbo Bearings. About Two Weeks Ago I Started Hearing A Loud Vibrating Noise, Or Exhaust Leak Type Of Sound. I Took It To The Dealer And They Said It Was A Power Steering Hose They Had To Reposition. I Had The Truck Up On A Lift Running And You Can Feel The Vibration Through Many Parts. If You Really Listen It's Not Constant. It Sounds Like Something That Would Be Turning. It Was Not The Steering Hose.

Last edited by alanscott; 06-26-2003 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:07 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
possible turbo problem

You can check it yourself. Pull the intake hose off the turbo to gain access to the impeller. There should be a little bit of play in the wheel, but not much. As long as it spins freely and is not making contact with the housing, it's fine.

Generally when the turbo lets go the exhaust wheel grenades first, and will pump a large amount of oil into the exhaust. This is something you would probably notice.

Anyways, there is a heat shield over the exhaust pipe under the passenger side floorboard that has been known to come loose. If it's touching the pipe it will rattle like crazy. Very annoying, but dosen't hurt anything.