Sponsored by:

Single Bilstein stabilizer w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 04:45 PM
TIUSER
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Single Bilstein stabilizer w/pics

I replaced my steering stabilizer that had 108,000 miles on it with a single Bilstein 5100 part # 24-158848. I paid $68 for it of Ebay.

Of course, this is needed

This is a pic of the stock end of the stabilizer that mounts to the centerlink bracket

Old 12-05-2013, 04:52 PM
mankypro
Senior User
Old 12-05-2013, 05:07 PM
TIUSER
Senior User
According to the directions

This pic is from this thread by MONSTER-4 https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...installed.html

I apologize for the parallax error this pic, I had a hard time holding the tape measure and taking the pics. But the end of the tape measure is in the shoulder of the centerlink as outlined in the instruction sheet

Again, I apologize for the angled pic, but the measurement was at the correct distance so I did not need to move the centerlink bracket

Last edited by TIUSER; 12-05-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: correct typos
Old 12-05-2013, 05:20 PM
TIUSER
Senior User
Now, I am going to skip the pics of removing the old stabilizer. I am going to point out the difference between the two, and the reason why I started this thread. The new Bilstein has a stud on the Bracket end of the stabilizer while the stock does not. I called Bilstein to inquire about this and I was told that this is the correct part and the stud is there to keep the stabilizer in-line. The bracket side of the stabilizer sits forward compared to the clevis end of the stabilizer, so the stud helps keep both ends of the stabilizer in-line or parallel. The stud goes thru the bracket and it will bottom out on the shoulder of the stud so only the threads will protrude.

Notice the flats on the stud shank, this is where you hold the stud with 19mm or 3/4" wrench while tightening the nut

Here is a pic of the wrench on the flats of the stud shank

Last edited by TIUSER; 12-05-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added text
Old 12-05-2013, 05:31 PM
TIUSER
Senior User
Here is the finished installed centerlink bracket end of the stabilizer

and for comparison here is the stock stabilizer pic

Here is the finished pic

Final touch was to use some of this on the new shiny stabilizer to keep it shiny.

Sprayed some on the rag

And whipped it on

Last edited by TIUSER; 12-05-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: correct typos
Old 12-05-2013, 05:39 PM
TIUSER
Senior User
I have not had the opportunity to test out new stabilizer yet, that will have to wait until tomorrow. But, the it sure looks nicer.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 PM
TIUSER
Senior User
Originally Posted by mankypro
Timely, mine came in the mail this morning from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Bilstein 24-158848 Steering Damper for Ford F250/F350 4WD: Automotive
Nice. I read MONSTER-4's thread first, he did a great job on his write up. I was just puzzled with the "stud end" of the stabilizer, so I made my own thread to address that issue.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...installed.html

Old 12-05-2013, 05:49 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Something else I need to do...

Old 12-10-2013, 03:23 AM
luv2aclr8
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice... Did you notice a difference on the way it steered or handles? I'm considering this for my next upgrade, then new front shocks. I don't like the way my EX steers, it seems to have a lot of play.

I have already adjusted the nut on the steering, I may need to go a little more, but with 200k+ miles on it, I'm sure its time.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:59 AM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by luv2aclr8
Nice... Did you notice a difference on the way it steered or handles? I'm considering this for my next upgrade, then new front shocks. I don't like the way my EX steers, it seems to have a lot of play.

I have already adjusted the nut on the steering, I may need to go a little more, but with 200k+ miles on it, I'm sure its time.
Sounds like its time for a "Red Head" steering box, I put one on my wife's 05 this spring, what a differance it made, truck had less than a 100'xxx miles on it!

I'm just sayin!

Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 AM
TIUSER
Senior User
Originally Posted by luv2aclr8

Yes it did make a big improvement, my old one was shot. When I tried to move the old one by hand, once it was off the truck, it only moved in "jerky" motions, it was not smooth movements. The Bilstein was worth the money.

Originally Posted by jdw1
Sounds like its time for a "Red Head" steering box, I put one on my wife's 05 this spring, what a differance it made, truck had less than a 100'xxx miles on it!

I'm just sayin!
I agree.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 AM
mankypro
Senior User
Originally Posted by TIUSER
Yes it did make a big improvement, my old one was shot. When I tried to move the old one by hand, once it was off the truck, it only moved in "jerky" motions, it was not smooth movements. The Bilstein was worth the money.

I agree.
Glad to hear, looking forward to doing mine this morning after the frost thaws

Old 12-12-2013, 05:08 PM
luv2aclr8
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just priced the Redhead.... I think a real one would do the same job plus some. JK

I'm going to go with the steering stabilizer 1st, and then front shocks that need replacing. I'll decide then if a new box is needed. I appreciate all the info!!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:10 PM
mankypro
Senior User
Mine went on in 10 minutes this morning, will take it for a spin shortly. Think I'm going to tighten up my steering box too for GP.

Those with wandering steering may also consider checking the torque on the front spring packs, 150lbs should do it.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I have Bilstein shocks and a Bilstein steering stabilizer on my '03 diesel Excursion.

Previously, I had a Rancho steering stabilizer (Bilstein did not have one yet to choose from). The Rancho was OK, but is not the same quality and stiffness as a Bilstein.

What a steering stabilizer does is reduce the wobbles and the "shocks" one may feel through the steering wheel.

It is stiffer and better made - great mod to have.

Quick Reply: Single Bilstein stabilizer w/pics