Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Okay, it's cold

Old 12-05-2013, 09:06 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, it's cold

I guess I should pay more attention to the cold start threads! Mine started, barely. Not happy, fuel pressure fluctuated around 35-40, now at 10 idling.
Been running 30 minutes, sounds better but that's not saying much this morning. Oh, and -13 right now.
I thought I had enough white bottle, guess not. Assuming it survives, what do you cold weather guys do beside plug it in? No room in the garage, but I guess I can put a heat lamp under the ? Heater? My cold learning curve has started!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Fuel in bowl okay, moving down the line. Guessing pump has gelled fuel in it?

Old 12-05-2013, 09:52 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
That would be my guess. Do you have access to a torpedo heater?

http://assets.newmediaretailer.com/5...r_kerosene.jpg

Old 12-05-2013, 10:37 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HKusp
That would be my guess. Do you have access to a torpedo heater?

http://assets.newmediaretailer.com/5...r_kerosene.jpg

Not right now, but about to make a Wally run for 911 and more white bottle DK. Thanks for the cold start link, maybe I can convince my wife I need injectors!!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I am impressed you got it started in -13 degrees without the block heater. Original specs from Ford says these engines have "worry free starting in temps down to -10 without external aid". I'd say your truck is doing pretty well still....

Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by trekbasso
Not right now, but about to make a Wally run for 911 and more white bottle DK. Thanks for the cold start link, maybe I can convince my wife I need injectors!!
If you can convince her, you are going to LOVE them.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:23 AM
damons
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda sucks huh? Lots of crash bang rough idle sounds, even plugged in. 16 deg here

Old 12-05-2013, 11:43 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
-19 with the wind chill this morning. it was plugged in last night but hasn't been started for about a week. Hit the remote starter and she fired right up. Cranked a little slow but she started on the first try. I do love the ol' girl

Old 12-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
When I was at home for break last winter, new glow plugs and new batteries left me worry free, and of course #1 diesel.

This winter out here at school I plug mine in any time we are looking at 20's or below. I also have put a trickle charger on overnight to keep my batteries fully charged.

Usually I wouldn't do this, but I think my starter and also maybe my alternator are on the way out. And about a month ago a dome light got left on overnight in 5 degree weather, the old girl wasn't happy the next morning.

Also, I've got about 5k on my oil, which is 15-40 non synthetic, which is also a little low. Seems simple, but definitely double check oil, I've noticed harder starts as mine gets lower. I know its bad for it to be low, but I want to change injector o-rings before I change oil.

Last night on the way home from work it was cold enough, both air temp and engine temp that the skinny pedal would cause white "coal".

I feel sorry for the 2 mile commutes my truck has been supporting me through this semester. Winter break will result in some TLC for her.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Mine gelled this morning. I started her to let her warm up while I fed thehorses and I could hear the low pressure fuel knock when I came around thecorner of the house. I ripped off my gloves so I could get the bed cover openand grab my bottle of 911 and dumped the whole thing in the tank with theengine still running. She smoothed out considerable after a minute or 2 so Ithought all was good. Grabbed the kids and threw them in the truck, we made itabout 200 yards before she started missing and limping. She is back in thedrive way now running on high idle so maybe the 911 takes a while do its thingcompletely. -10 hurts.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 12-05-2013, 12:00 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by clem1226
Mine gelled this morning. I started her to let her warm up while I fed thehorses and I could hear the low pressure fuel knock when I came around thecorner of the house. I ripped off my gloves so I could get the bed cover openand grab my bottle of 911 and dumped the whole thing in the tank with theengine still running. She smoothed out considerable after a minute or 2 so Ithought all was good. Grabbed the kids and threw them in the truck, we made itabout 200 yards before she started missing and limping. She is back in thedrive way now running on high idle so maybe the 911 takes a while do its thingcompletely. -10 hurts.

I had that happen to me last winter. The shop I had it towed too used BG44.... (Cant remember the last part) but it is for diesels and it worked GREAT!

Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by clem1226

Out of curiosity, are you still running the OEM style mixing chamber in the tank pickup assembly or did you delete that out in favor of the Hutch Mod?
I presume the reason for the mixing chamber is to allow warm fuel to mix with the cold fuel stored in the tank and reduce the change of the fuel gelling on the way to the front of the vehicle. I think that is the the main idea behind the fuel bowl heater....not to heat the fuel going to the heads but to heat the fuel being returned to the tank.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:46 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
I did have it plugged in all night. Probably the only reason it started at all. Also running Rot 5-40 syn. Poured 911 in tank, changed inline filter (globs of jelly coming out) fired up like nothing happened. I knew I had a problem when I first turned key on this morning and fuel psi was bouncing around 35-45. Back to 65 now. 911 is awesome, but bought plenty of white bottle also. Not going through this again. Has me thinking of wrapping the fuel line with electric water pipe heat cable.
Thanks for all the comments.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:52 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Out of curiosity, are you still running the OEM style mixing chamber in the tank pickup assembly or did you delete that out in favor of the Hutch Mod?
I presume the reason for the mixing chamber is to allow warm fuel to mix with the cold fuel stored in the tank and reduce the change of the fuel gelling on the way to the front of the vehicle. I think that is the the main idea behind the fuel bowl heater....not to heat the fuel going to the heads but to heat the fuel being returned to the tank.
My tank has never been down, 400K on original injectors and my fuel filters have never come out dirty. Heck my little inline filter prepump has been on the truck over 200K and it still looks clean and flows fine. I have never had a cackle issue so I choose to leave well enough alone and not drop the tank.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:57 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Originally Posted by trekbasso
I did have it plugged in all night. Probably the only reason it started at all. Also running Rot 5-40 syn. Poured 911 in tank, changed inline filter (globs of jelly coming out) fired up like nothing happened. I knew I had a problem when I first turned key on this morning and fuel psi was bouncing around 35-45. Back to 65 now. 911 is awesome, but bought plenty of white bottle also. Not going through this again. Has me thinking of wrapping the fuel line with electric water pipe heat cable.
Thanks for all the comments.
How much 911 did you pour in. I grabbed my bottle and poured the whole thing in before I read the directions, opps only called for 1/2 the bottle. I am not worried about it, just curious if you had succes with less than 36 ounces.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Okay, it's cold