6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

COLOR CODE or Wiring Diagram for F-350 SD

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Delawhere?
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COLOR CODE or Wiring Diagram for F-350 SD

I have tried on three different locations here on the Forum. So I will try once more on the 6.7L site and see if anyone here can help me.

I am trying to find out which wire running through the driver side threshold controls the interior lights/third eye light and comes on when the door is opened and goes off with a timed circuit. I am trying to hook up my old OEM Ford running boards from my 05 SD. I just need to know which wire and the color code, I can tap into to get them lighted when the door is opened.

I went to the Ford Dealer where I bought my truck and the service writer went back to see a tech, but he came back with nothing. He says he would have to contact Ford and see where he could hook into for the lights. I find that hard to believe that a qualified tech would not have access to a wiring diagram that would tell him exactly where the wire is for the interior lighting.
So, I am asking for anyone's help in solving what seems to be a minor problem.
Thanks

Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you looking for just a door-opening contact loop, or the actual lighting load circuit? The Body Control Module has a dimmable output that drives the interior lights and the center high mounted stoplamp module's cargo lamps.
The only thing is if you use the dimmer switch to turn on the interior and bed cargo lamp, then whatever else you have attached will also turn on. Is that the correct logic for this application?

Do you have pre existing wiring for the running boards? I forget which trim level you had to have to get this feature.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I could tell you the ones I used for my AMP steps, those triggers were ground and not power. The ground is completed when the door switch opens. Everybody talks like there should be harnesses for lighted running boards, but my ultimate lariat doesn't have any.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:10 PM
MPD56
Elder User
I had the same problem with finding wiring information for my 2013.The dealer has to wait for a company to produce and release the diagrams after they get the information for Ford. Eachy ear has changes; even trucks made after Jan<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com 1 2013</st1:date> are wired different. Anyway you should have a plug mounted to the frame rails on each side that are for running boards, my does, don’t know for sure about the 2014? Link below might help.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1191527-use-of-courtesy-time-out.html

<o</o

Old 12-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Delawhere?
Senior User
Originally Posted by TRENT310
Are you looking for just a door-opening contact loop, or the actual lighting load circuit? The Body Control Module has a dimmable output that drives the interior lights and the center high mounted stoplamp module's cargo lamps.
The only thing is if you use the dimmer switch to turn on the interior and bed cargo lamp, then whatever else you have attached will also turn on. Is that the correct logic for this application?

Do you have pre existing wiring for the running boards? I forget which trim level you had to have to get this feature.
Trent, thanks for answering my post, I do not have the wire that comes with the King Ranch that some claim to have. My truck has no wiring along the frame rail to connect to.

My 05 F250 was wired per Ford instructions through the floorboard on both sides and connected to a wire that was black/with light blue stripe that ran under the door sill plate. I could not find a wire with that color in my new 2014 F350.

This is my problem, not knowing which wire goes where. My 05' running boards have lights at both ends and the wire harness attaches at the front end. The new boards have there connections made at the rear where the plug is located on some trucks, but not on mine.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Delawhere?
Senior User
720 Deere and MPD56,
Thanks for the replies on my post, I do not have the wires along the frame rail that some have. I know of these because I saw them first hand at the dealer when I was ordering mine. I went out in the lot and crawled under a couple of Lariats and sure enough the connection was there!
Why my truck came in without the connections is beyond my comprehension! It would have been a simple hook up with those connectors. Now I have to try and locate someone who has knowledge of Ford Wiring on the 2014 to tell me which wire feeds the interior lighting. Once I find that out I should be able to hook up the lights in about a half hour. I've already spent way more than that time on the web trying to get the answer I am looking for. Maybe I need to wait until the truck has been out for awhile to be able to get more info on it?
Thanks anyway!

Old 12-05-2013, 06:31 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Perhaps a fluke? My 2014 has the plugs at the back of the cab on both sides and attached to the frame rails with a protective cover on them. Some 2014's have them at least. Mine is a Platinum, so it does not have the lighted running boards.
I also discovered a plug to nowhere up front. It comes out of the same loom that feeds the fogs. It is secured to the front crossmember, beneath the radiator. Maybe ambient air temp? The terminal/cover looks too small to be a sensor, but also doesn't look like just a protective cover. My previous ones have been located behind the grill and were much larger.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:53 PM
F stock owner
Senior User
Delawhere?: Not sure why your truck doesn't have the frame mounted connectors. Also not sure which vehicle you are trying to get wiring information for. My 2012 F-250/350/450 wiring diagrams manual shows the running board circuit (or puddle lamps) as a violet (VT) wire coming out of the BCM (behind right side kick panel) that appears to travel under the right and left door sill plates. Failing that, you can try for a gray with violet strip (GY-VT) under right side door sill plate (front or rear) that's for the rear dome light. In either case, use a multimeter or test light to verify the correct circuit. The colors I gave you are for my 2012 6.7 CC. Super cab, regular cab and gasoline vs. diesel have slightly different connector and splice locations but wire paths and color coding seem to be similar. I would also suggest you change the bulbs in your running boards to LED as I don't know the load capacity of the FET (transistor) driver in the BCM. On second thought, since these trucks are prewired (except maybe yours) for running board lights and never came with any LED lighting you are probably OK with the old bulbs. Hope that helps. Good luck.
--

2012 F-350 Lariat CC LB SRW FX4 - 6.7L diesel
1986 F-150 XL - donated to my high school

Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Delawhere?
Senior User
[QUOTE=F stock owner;13811405]Delawhere?: Not sure why your truck doesn't have the frame mounted connectors. Also not sure which vehicle you are trying to get wiring information for. My 2012 F-250/350/450 wiring diagrams manual shows the running board circuit (or puddle lamps) as a violet (VT) wire coming out of the BCM (behind right side kick panel) that appears to travel under the right and left door sill plates. Failing that, you can try for a gray with violet strip (GY-VT) under right side door sill plate (front or rear) that's for the rear dome light. In either case, use a multimeter or test light to verify the correct circuit. The colors I gave you are for my 2012 6.7 CC. Super cab, regular cab and gasoline vs. diesel have slightly different connector and splice locations but wire paths and color coding seem to be similar. I would also suggest you change the bulbs in your running boards to LED as I don't know the load capacity of the FET (transistor) driver in the BCM. On second thought, since these trucks are prewired (except maybe yours) for running board lights and never came with any LED lighting you are probably OK with the old bulbs. Hope that helps. Good luck.
--

2012 F-350 Lariat CC LB SRW FX4 - 6.7L diesel
1986 F-150 XL - donated to my high school[/QUOT

To answer your question ("Not sure which vehicle I am trying to get wiring information for"), the vehicle I am trying to wire is a 2014 F350 SD stretch cab, gas engine. I am hoping that the grey/violet wire is the one I am looking for, I will check it out when we get back from our first week away camping with the new truck!
Thanks