sticking 4x4 shift 03 explorer

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:08 PM
deekaph
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sticking 4x4 shift 03 explorer

I recently bought my first Ford and love it. . It's a 2003 Explorer. Problem I'm having is shifting in and out of 4x4. It worked fine during the test drives obviously but for a couple days when I pushed 4x4 high it wouldn't go in. Then randomly I pushed it when I got in and it moved into 4x4 high and low no problem but then it wouldn't come out of 4x4 high. Better than being stuck in 4 low I guess but can anyone suggest what might be causing this intermittent problem? I don't want to drive around in 4x4 all the time and want to know it will work when I need it to. Might it be the buttons themselves or is it the shift gear? There's only135000km on it.Thanks in advance

Old 01-09-2014, 05:11 PM
deekaph
New User
I'm updating this as I'm still having the problem, but I have more information now.

When I start the truck both the 4high and 4low lights come on and then go off (passes check).

I have discovered that if I turn the ignition on and push the 4High button while I'm starting it, the 4high indicator on the cluster comes on and stays on. HOWEVER, I'm not entirely convinced that it's actually engaging the front tires as when I'm driving and it's slick my back end starts kicking out.

It won't go into 4low at all.

One day a week or so ago I was having some fun in the snow and noticed that the traction control had kicked it into 4high. However, again, I'm not entirely convinced it's ACTUALLY there. I'm about ready to jack up the back end and see if I can drive off the jack :P

I've spent hours researching this and it looks like there are 2 probable culprits, either the GEM behind the glove box or the motor on the transfer case.

Interestingly (read: annoyingly) I had the truck up on blocks last weekend as I'd developed a hairline crack at the drainplug for the forward t-case after changing the fluids. Also, the head shield had been broken off. I think the previous owner had schmucked a stump or something, which would explain the crack in the transfer case and the broken heat shield and is why I'm leaning towards the motor, as it's right on the case so if it'd been jarred it may have made it.. fickle.

I'm gonna climb under it again some time soon, problem is it's -10 and snowy here and will be for some time so I have to take it out of town to my mom's farm to work in the heated shop. Until then, anyone with some expertise on this able to give me some pointers? Obviously I'll inspect the wiring harness and so on.

My not-very-experienced opinion is that because the cluster indicators do power up and then go off as they should during normal startup test, and because they don't flash, that it's probably not the control module. And, because there is some evidence that something not awesome happened in the region of the t-case, it's probably the shift motor. AMIRITE??

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 PM
Steina
CO River Rat

If you don't get an answer here, try the Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case Forum; hopefully someone there can help. Good luck...............

Steve

Old 01-15-2014, 04:43 PM
silvman36
New User
Originally Posted by deekaph
I recently bought my first Ford and love it. . It's a 2003 Explorer. Problem I'm having is shifting in and out of 4x4. It worked fine during the test drives obviously but for a couple days when I pushed 4x4 high it wouldn't go in. Then randomly I pushed it when I got in and it moved into 4x4 high and low no problem but then it wouldn't come out of 4x4 high. Better than being stuck in 4 low I guess but can anyone suggest what might be causing this intermittent problem? I don't want to drive around in 4x4 all the time and want to know it will work when I need it to. Might it be the buttons themselves or is it the shift gear? There's only135000km on it.Thanks in advance
Having same problem with my 1998 expedition and have found out that the front Axel is not engaging. It is set up on a vacuum and it is not pulling the vacuum to lock it in. Try putting it in 4 wheel drive and see if the front drive shaft turns. If you can not turn it by hand then you transfer case is locking in and chances are the front Axel is not locking in.