6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

5r110 TRANS UPGRADE DIY MOD

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:49 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5r110 TRANS UPGRADE DIY MOD

I always have had a few issues with flare in my 3-5 shift running big tunes and towing, so I have been looking around to see what can be done to the trans to increase the performance a little. This seems to be a more prevalent issue in the early job 1 builds, mine is a 07-07 build. What I came up with was up grading the EPC solenoid to a stage 2 for more pressure and modifying the direct drive solenoid for more pressure and flow. This was relatively easy to due and I am very happy with the out come. The shifts are now firm and crisp and i have successfully almost eliminated any 3-5 flare i previously had. Before it seemed that the trans would get a little lazy with bigger tunes and time, which makes since there is adaptive programming in the TCM. This mod doesn’t change the programming, actually changes the hydraulic pressure in the trans so it is more consistent. I originally thought that this might result in very harsh shifts with a bigger tune and aggressive trans tuning but that is not the case. If your trans is not already damaged i would recommend this upgrade for the guys running bigger tunes or people towing heavy loads. Don’t do this is your the person that doesn’t like to feel the shifts.

The stage 2 EPC solenoid came from 03-up 5R110 HD EPC Solenoid Heavy Duty Application

The modified direct solenoid came from PTP | DirectSOL | Modified Direct Clutch Solenoid Ford Powerstroke 6.0L / 6.4L

Kit to replace dummy sensor plug Transmission Pressure Switch End Plug Kit, 5R110W (Sonnax) 03 -UP S16411

Knowing what I know now I probably would try the MTS modified direct solenoid simply because its cheaper and could be matched better. PTP has some good pics which ill share below on the modified direct solenoid install. Sorry i didn't catch pics on the EPC install. Everyone told me that the solenoid valve body had to be removed to change the EPC solenoid because the main wire harness for the trans is in the way of removing it. So I did, but after looking at it a-part it would appear all you have to due is remove the harness plug not sure if thats it, but i went with what i was told and I actually removed the solenoid valve assembly. Which I think may have been better because I could clean it better after the installs. As you are lowering it out make sure to hold the main valve spool becasue it is loose and could fall out which might ruin your day. Also make sure you get the torque sequence and spec on the solenoid body when you install it. I also change the plastic dummy plug sensor between the overdrive solenoid and the TCC solenoid. The plastic dummy plugs are known to leak and i see why, it was just a plastic piece that dosen't fit well, the dummy plug replacement is a steel fitting with a o-ring to seal it better. On a early 08 (7-07 build)You will need the 2 solenoids and a solenoid valve body holder plate gasket ( valve body to holder gasket/screen assembly if you want to change while you are in there) 1 dummy plug kit, a new o-ring for the harness connector,new trans filter and about 8 quarts of fluid unless you have a deep pan then 16 quarts to do this. This is my first attempt at this and i have never messed with a 5r110 before so make sure if you do this research it well. I found all the information need online.

The following photos are for replacement of the Direct Drive solenoid , like i said i didn't catch photos of the EPC removal and installation. Refer to the diagram below for the solenoid locations.

Attached Images       
Old 11-30-2013, 08:29 PM
GSchretter
Senior User
You... You...

Great post...
Thank you!

Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
A very good and informative post. Pictures really make it easy to understand. Nice work.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:56 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Excellent, just excellent! Tagging myself here for future reference.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Thats pretty neat! i would like to know what the long term effects are like too!

Old 12-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Flexxj90
New User
you sound like you were dealing with the same issue as we are. Aer all three parts needed? I have a 2010.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:23 PM
Kingranch69
New User
Sorry I know this is an old thread but was gonna tackle this project and get information. I was wondering if epc solenoid goes in like original or at the 7 o'clock position like the direct drive solenoid ??thanks

Old 03-29-2017, 08:00 PM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've only done the modified direct clutch solenoid in my 08.......all shifts are crisp and firm now......did it a couple years back now. Not sure other ones are needed really.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:58 AM
Kingranch69
New User
sxrfun..thanks for the reply

Old 03-30-2017, 03:26 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
interesting.

I recently bought some super plugs and when i went to installed them on my 2010...it didnt have non-super ones.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:15 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by sxrfun
I've only done the modified direct clutch solenoid in my 08.......all shifts are crisp and firm now......did it a couple years back now. Not sure other ones are needed really.
The EPC controls pressure to all the solenoids, changing just the direct solenoid to the modified direct clutch only increase flow and makes the shift quicker, but there will not be additional holding pressure. Changing the EPC to a modified EPC you can basically have it preset to any pressure you want, but if your running a tune that makes adjustments to the trans aswell the two usually don't work to well together, shifts can become extremely hard to the point your chirping tires at shifts.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Slattery334
New User
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
but if your running a tune that makes adjustments to the trans aswell the two usually don't work to well together, shifts can become extremely hard to the point your chirping tires at shifts.
Hi, I just recently had some issues and stumbled across this post. I have an SCT tuner on my 08', so are you saying I should not change both because of the tuner? Or do I need to figure out if the tune is adjusting the trans before I attempt to replace both?

Old 12-09-2018, 05:47 AM
Swamppro
Freshman User
Good morning,

Hate to dig up an old thread but...
my 08 is bulletproofed, spartan tuned, intake, and 5” exhaust. I had the flare and it struggles to shift to high gear. Almost like it go’s in neutral around 40 until converter locks. Is this what yours was doing? I bought the modified solenoid and changing that today. Truck did this for while and then cleared up. Just started doing it again Friday and real sloppy. Daily driver and never hard on it. 112,000 miles never been hooked to a trailer. Anyone with same problems I would appreciate the input. Transmission heat has never been above 170 and I drive 72 miles one way 5 Days a week to office. Lower gears shift crisp and no slip it’s just the last shift is ugly.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 AM
Slattery334
New User
Originally Posted by Swamppro
Good morning,

Hate to dig up an old thread but...
my 08 is bulletproofed, spartan tuned, intake, and 5” exhaust. I had the flare and it struggles to shift to high gear. Almost like it go’s in neutral around 40 until converter locks. Is this what yours was doing? I bought the modified solenoid and changing that today. Truck did this for while and then cleared up. Just started doing it again Friday and real sloppy. Daily driver and never hard on it. 112,000 miles never been hooked to a trailer. Anyone with same problems I would appreciate the input. Transmission heat has never been above 170 and I drive 72 miles one way 5 Days a week to office. Lower gears shift crisp and no slip it’s just the last shift is ugly.
I'm probably not the person you were hoping would reply, but if you'd like my honest opinion, I'd stop messing with it and take it to a dependable transmission shop. I fought mine for a while trying to fix it and all it did was waste time and money. These transmissions are really tough and can take a beating. My clutch packs we're pretty beat when I had it rebuilt, and what ended up completely killing other vehicles, just caused some slipping in this trans. So, I'd just go have it rebuilt, do some minor upgrades while they are in there (based on budget), and you'll never regret it. Swapping these solenoids is a bandaid at best and really fixes nothing. Hope that helps.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:51 AM
Swamppro
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Slattery334
I'm probably not the person you were hoping would reply, but if you'd like my honest opinion, I'd stop messing with it and take it to a dependable transmission shop. I fought mine for a while trying to fix it and all it did was waste time and money. These transmissions are really tough and can take a beating. My clutch packs we're pretty beat when I had it rebuilt, and what ended up completely killing other vehicles, just caused some slipping in this trans. So, I'd just go have it rebuilt, do some minor upgrades while they are in there (based on budget), and you'll never regret it. Swapping these solenoids is a bandaid at best and really fixes nothing. Hope that helps.
after installing the new direct drive solenoid it now is acting more weird. Sometimes drive takes off in maybe 3rd AMD such. Shift to parl and back to drive and then there is 1st. Sometimes you will feel it jump into other gears. Driving it almost feels like you have foot on brakes after warms up