1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

S&B vs. AIS - With Photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,755 Posts
The kind of weather conditions I'm talking about I've never seen in Seattle. (I'm going there tomorrow). I'm talking the kind of cold where once you get the inside of the car warmed up enough to roll the windows down, there is still a secondary window of ice remaining that you have to punch through in order to check for smoke in your mirrors!

Maine-ly in the Northeast.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:57 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
The kind of weather conditions I'm talking about I've never seen in Seattle. (I'm going there tomorrow). I'm talking the kind of cold where once you get the inside of the car warmed up enough to roll the windows down, there is still a secondary window of ice remaining that you have to punch through in order to see the smoke in your mirrors!

I'm in Oklahoma and I had to do that this year. I had 3/8" ice built up on my truck. We get some good ice down here. I had to beat my truck (softly) to get in the cab and the bed (bed cover).

Old 01-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
The kind of weather conditions I'm talking about I've never seen in Seattle. (I'm going there tomorrow). I'm talking the kind of cold where once you get the inside of the car warmed up enough to roll the windows down, there is still a secondary window of ice remaining that you have to punch through in order to check for smoke in your mirrors!

Oh... I thought we were talking about rain as well. Snowy roads and extreme cold? I'm 100 miles (or so) from the Canadian border and there's a mountain pass between my family and I. Stinky knows snow, ice, slush, freezing fog, freezing rain, and axle-popping (not breaking) cold. Having your tires freeze out-of-round (on a small car) is always entertaining.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:52 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So let me get this straight...A Tymar 6637(which I have) flows less than a S and B and an AIS? Sorry, I haven't gone for my morning run yet and the brain is a little foggy...

Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jetdoc
So let me get this straight...A Tymar 6637(which I have) flows less than a S and B and an AIS? Sorry, I haven't gone for my morning run yet and the brain is a little foggy...
The people to ask are the ones who have done measurements on both, or have driven both. I know clem1226 has used both, if you're seeking a second opinion.

I read somewhere that a WIX 6637 is a cheap replacement for the original Tymar... but the specs are not the same. It may be worth a couple of searches to verify.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:43 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My experience:

My truck was smoky/hazy with both the K&N cone style filter and the WIX6637. I ran them for over 300K and never had a dirty intake tube or any signs of a dusted turbo. The haze was visible at night in the headlights of followingvehicles during acceleration at all throttle positions getting progressivelyworse the more aggressive I got with the throttle.

I recently swapped in the AIS (thanks Tug for the good deal!) and changed nothing else. The Haze is now GONE. Jenni can still get smoky if I get to aggressive with the throttle but in "normal" keeping up with the flow of traffic driving my exhaust is completely clean.

as a side note: the sounds I thought were cool when I was 30 are not as cool now that I am 39, the silence that the AIS brought to the cab is a big relief.I have had to re-learn to drive my truck to some extent. My first drive withthe AIS I pulled on to the county road leaving my house and did not realize I was doing close to 70MPH as I approached the first 45 MPH turn. The overall noise level in the cab is so mellow with the sensory input of the open element gone that empty the engine never sounds like it is "working" at all.

My injectors are stock originals with about 410K on them I have a 4"exhaust, wicked wheel, a builtish transmission and a PHP FU chip.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:25 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Thanks for that....I'm going to remember that. I cant really afford a new intake now with all the other expensive things breaking on this thing but I'll keep that in the back of my head..

Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 PM
diehardstroker
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im getting a coolant filter kit form sinister in february, so i cant use my current dual filter intake anymore. i was considering going back to just the 6637 but now after the few new pages on this thread i might pony up for this S&B.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:53 PM
winterkill
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
valuable information

had to take this one back to page 1. i will be re reading it shortly!

Old 09-27-2014, 05:53 AM
cschulz135
Freshman User
I'll throw this out there FWIW. I just installed the S&B kit with the ram air tube on a newer Dodge. It dropped the EGT's about 200 degrees on the hot tune WOT. Noise was considerably more than stock. I know this maybe be different than what you will see on a Ford, but may be helpful. The kit installed easily, and looks good and seems to be of good quality. The dealer where I bought it told me that S&B open element flows well and filters better than the K&N elements. Can't verify that, though.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:08 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by cschulz135
I'll throw this out there FWIW. I just installed the S&B kit with the ram air tube on a newer Dodge. It dropped the EGT's about 200 degrees on the hot tune WOT. Noise was considerably more than stock. I know this maybe be different than what you will see on a Ford, but may be helpful. The kit installed easily, and looks good and seems to be of good quality. The dealer where I bought it told me that S&B open element flows well and filters better than the K&N elements. Can't verify that, though.
That seems to mirror my experience when I swapped the out the AIS for the S&B.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:59 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
After reading this entire thread, it easily convinced me to make the switch from the 6637 to the S&B. Bought one from riffraff yesterday. Looking forward to the results. I was thinking of doing a couple of comparison videos showing the differences in sound from under the hood and smoke in the mirror.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
That would be great. Hope you have the time to post them also.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:16 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
After reading Riches post when he swapped last year or so i too took the plunge. I was running a AEM Brute force which they use a K&N dry flow filter. Its just a aluminum tube with the filter on the end. Looks flashy but fairly loud. I was debating the AIS or the S&B. After lots of reading i went S&B. Install was good its a nice clean well built system. There was far less noise compared to the AEM. But that changed after i swapped out my ww for my 2nd gen ww when i rebuilt my turbo. That sucker makes some noise now !

Old 09-28-2014, 11:34 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Sucks they can't make a good CAI that flows and still is quite.

Quick Reply: S&B vs. AIS - With Photos