Sponsored by: DP Tuner

S&B vs. AIS - With Photos

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 07:17 PM
kefrko
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE="Tugly;13775964"]Stock sticks and turbo with an AIS:
Is this saying that you were getting a little over 30lbs of boost with the stock sticks/turbo? If so that's impressive.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:40 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BWST
I need to do that. My snorkel does not get a straight shot of air. Woodinthings was telling me he drilled 1" holes in the zoodad area of the grill, and suggested a coarse screen material might be good over that. I need to review pics of the zoodad mod and see how direct the airflow is. Want to avoid water intake through a large puddle and the like.
That is exactly what I meant by partial Zoodad, and your concern is my exact reason for wanting to do it that way. My question is this- the duct running into the filter housing is pretty darn long... Is it even possible for a significant amount of water to make it through a couple 1/2"? holes and through that duct to the filter?
It is a fairly direct flow of air from where the Zoodad goes. I would be more concerned about following a vehicle during heavy rain and having the tail-stream go in then I would the rain itself.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrko
Originally Posted by Tugly
Stock sticks and turbo with an AIS:
Is this saying that you were getting a little over 30lbs of boost with the stock sticks/turbo? If so that's impressive.
I've done everything I can to get more out of the engine - as properly as I know how. Going over 30 with stock sticks and turbo involves heat, and I'm not the only one here that has done it. I couldn't get that when my EGTs were safe, but high EGTs brought up the boost. This is counter-intuitive - higher boost is supposed to lower EGTs. Watching the boost gauge and pyro go big at the same time can indicate the expansion of the crazy heat is adding more turbo drive pressure.

In essence, I'm not counting that reading as a win.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:54 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Guys forget that boost does not equal power..... All boost measures is restriction.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:00 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Despite the theories of temperature - this is not my first season of driving Stinky in the cold with these sticks, turbo, and intake. I feel the bump in the butt, and the tail is always clear.
So you replaced an injector and the air intake and then there is the changing temperatures and fuel blending. With all of that you are still claiming that it is all in the air filter? Riiiight....

Old 11-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
So you replaced an injector and the air intake and then there is the changing temperatures and fuel blending. With all of that you are still claiming that it is all in the air filter? Riiiight....
I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. I drove my truck with the AIS since October 2010. Stinky has always put down coal since the day I bought him. My first problem was a gajillion exhaust leaks and that was addressed - about the time I chipped. Chipping kept the coal coming when I dug into the throttle. I bumped the exhaust up, tried different tunes, installed the T500, did the fender mod on the AIS, modified the fuel system, etc.... I had a permanent problem with ICP and I later discovered why it would crash, but that was the primary cause of soot with the AIS on stock sticks.

I've had this most recent batch of Stage IIs (and a whole new tuning provider) since February and they were all good at first - but I still had soot with the AIS and the bigger turbo. It's really cold in February around here. The #7 stick started giving me issues in the spring and I moved it to the #2 position to confirm it was the stick and not something else.

I won't try to recount the whole mess I've experienced since I got the truck, but the effects of the filter change are not subtle. My engine had this exact same configuration in February of last year, with the only real difference being the air intake. Cups and oil cooler don't count, neither does the water pump, the alternator, the ladder bars, etc....

The soot is gone with the S&B... and I'm at 4000 ft elevation right now. I'll be at 6000 feet later today and report back on that result.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Here's the noise... not too bad after the modifications I made.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:16 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 478 Likes on 328 Posts
Interested to see what mod you did to quiet it.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I was going to stop by yesterday, but the weather report screamed "Get home quick, via Snoqualmie!" Snow doesn't bug Stinky or I... but high winds, big rain, falling trees, and rock slides are a whole different matter.

There's always January.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Hard data at last: With my new faster data sampling, I can see the EBP gauge value and the turbo boost is still analog for now... the boost-fooler messes with the OBDII reading.

I shot a video (can't upload from here) and took some freeze-frames of the run. The video is only 8 seconds long, but it shows plenty.

The freeze-frames are most appropriate in this thread, where I mentioned I had issues with the intake maxing out. These shots show the efficiency of the air in vs. the air out: Bear in mind the camera had a low angle, so the analog needle will look low by about 1 or 2 PSI. The boost alarm is programmed for 34 PSI, so I'll run with that.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 417 Likes on 239 Posts
I just ordered the AIS from Riff Raff to replace the current Airaid system I have. Looking for better air flow and less noise. I only run around 300hp so it should be ok....

Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,351 Likes on 1,756 Posts
In another thread ( Air filter question ) I posted some detailed pictures and comments about the AIS when compared to a stock factory air box and stock filter or flat panel replacement filter. A few folks mentioned they ordered the AIS right away after those posts.

Now I feel that it is incumbent to interject that for highly modified performance tuned engines used for play instead of for work, there are some less restrictive, but still fully enclosed airboxes that might be more suitable choices.

Of the aftermarket units that I tested on the flow bench, the Volant flowed far and away the highest numbers under the same test conditions as discussed in that other thread, sucking in about 1,500 CFM (compared to the rough average of 800 CFM of other airbox combinations, compared to the max of 600 CFM that a stock motor can even use).

The Volant's 1,500 CFM just flat blew away every other box and combo that I tested as far as pure flow with a fully enclosed airbox (not counting open elements or partially open systems that attempted to "seal" against the truck's hood). The Volant left the AFE, the WesternDiesel, the AirMax, etc gasping for air. I remember jumping up and down as the results were showing up on the monitors of the flow bench, saying see, I told ya, I told ya. The Volant was a very under appreciated solution at that time, because unlike the competing air intake systems that had a lemming like following online, the Volant had zero internet forum marketing traction, where the purchase decisions were beginning to be made in this new era. (Witness the bump in sales of the Torque Pro app, as well as the AIS these past few days).

And thus the Volant represented the gauntlet that was thrown... the standard to beat, as far as an aftermarket performance air box and filter design where high flow takes precedence over service interval or dirt retention. The Volant was the most expensive also, around $570.00 a dozen years ago.

To beat the Volant not only in flow, but also in fit, finish, serviceability, ease of assembly, and total exclusion of hot under hood air that reduces air density... became the focused mission of the engineering company (an FTE sponsor) that provided the use of the $30,000 flow bench for me to make these factory and aftermarket air filter system comparison tests on. It took them a few years to get around to getting it done (they were pre-occupied building a world record setting diesel race truck when I was there), but this is what they eventually came up with:

High flow aftermarket airbox replacement comparison ad.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,351 Likes on 1,756 Posts
I can see the EBP gauge value... the analog needle will look low by about 1 or 2 PSI.

In this first picture, the analog EBP sweep looks to be about 8.5 psi lower than the digital read out of the EBP on same gauge at same time. What's going on there?

Old 01-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I don't see an analog EBP gauge. Unless Rick has the Torque app named EBP and the analog named Boost.....Mongo confused.

Should EBP by considered drive pressure and Boost, well, Manifold Pressure?

Old 01-07-2014, 04:27 PM
MC45
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in the same gage just digital in center

Quick Reply: S&B vs. AIS - With Photos