Sponsored by: DP Tuner

S&B vs. AIS - With Photos

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by diehardstroker
What I'm wondering is, do you have anymore haze on spirited runs?
Most of that disappeared when I replaced a fussy injector on "the last push" two weekends ago. I still get a puff, but the contrail hasn't raised it's head on the DD tune (about 375 HP tops). That was before the filter upgrade. I'll see if I can pass a pokey or two tomorrow... they're always out there.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:44 PM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
Rich, does your truck have the hood insulation?

Mark

Old 11-17-2013, 09:51 PM
diehardstroker
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotcha! I read most of that thread but didnt follow up on it, glad you got that taken care of. How about your boost, notice any differences?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:09 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Guys,
I just joined the forum tonight and found this thread. My truck was the test mule S&B used to develop their intake about 8 years ago.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:21 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by The Brad
Hey Guys,
I just joined the forum tonight and found this thread. My truck was the test mule S&B used to develop their intake about 8 years ago.
That's pretty cool.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:51 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 474 Likes on 326 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
... it's more like being a passenger in a 737 taxiing to the runway...
That's what mine reminds me of. Not knowing anything else, I have to say I like it. Its the injectors I'd like to quiet a bit more, but the turbo sound is just right. I hope you can dial in the amount of sound you want.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
Rich, does your truck have the hood insulation?

Mark
Yes, and good firewall insulation... as well as carpeting. The cab noise has always been very reasonable, so Stinky's tooth gap is getting my attention.

Originally Posted by diehardstroker
Gotcha! I read most of that thread but didnt follow up on it, glad you got that taken care of. How about your boost, notice any differences?

It's too early. Filter performance issues wouldn't be seen until the higher RPMs with higher boost numbers... like passing a car on the highway.

Originally Posted by The Brad
Hey Guys,
Welcome to the forum! Was there a reason they used your truck as a test bed?

Originally Posted by BWST
That's what mine reminds me of. Not knowing anything else, I have to say I like it. Its the injectors I'd like to quiet a bit more, but the turbo sound is just right. I hope you can dial in the amount of sound you want.
I'm constantly working on injector noise - it's the loudest thing under the hood (to my ears). This passenger jet sound may be a thing, though.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 AM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No reason. The guy from S&B was a friend of a friend. I'm curious, how do you quiet injectors? I put some PIS 200/80's in last weekend and they're obnoxious. Sorry, I don't mean to hijack.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 AM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
Yes, and good firewall insulation... as well as carpeting. The cab noise has always been very reasonable, so Stinky's tooth gap is getting my attention
Ah, OK. I ask because my truck-driving friends always comment on how quiet Excursions are, and that's one of the common differences. I know I've got a 6637 and no foil on the intercooler pipe, and I only hear the turbo right off idle. Of course, it'd have to be pretty loud for me to hear it above the tinnitus.

Mark

Old 11-18-2013, 08:26 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Well of the S&b is too loud for you then it good you didnt go AFE. It has to be louder being open. I have always planned on making a cover for it, but there are more pressing things. It has become more of a priority since I got the ww2. When towing that thing screams in OD.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:52 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I need more wheel time, but here's the preliminary report:

Cold. I have this series of hills where my EGTs have always hit 800 degrees F winter or summer with these sticks on cruise control at 65 MPH. The new number is 700 degrees F. My cruise on the flat is marginally cooler, but that can be air temperature making that small difference at this low flow.

Clean. I used to have a puff when I passed vehicles, but the mirror is completely clear so far. I have not done any WOT runs, and I will not run the race tune anytime soon. I can say passing is more responsive without the need to bury my foot.

Loud. Cruise is fine... just a faint whistle (no louder than the rest of the engine), but 2 PSI boost (about 50 MPH) is absurd. It wouldn't drown out conversation, but a turbo harmonic is there that is clearly louder than the rest of the truck. I need to see if anything can be done to minimize it. No whooshing sounds, so it doesn't sound like the truck is trying to pull itself inside-out

I will soon put Stinky through high-altitude and AE tests... but that's not this week.

*EDIT* Noise being worked out later in thread.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Great to here your report Tugly. The real test is going to be the wife sitting next to you on a long trip. She'll either like it or say, please put it back the way it was. You mit be able to wrap the box and lid to quite it down. Waiting to see what you do.
The guy with the 200/80 PIS injectors, who's tunes are you running? It may be as easy as changing tuners. The air is out of the system right?

Old 11-19-2013, 10:53 AM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I need more wheel time, but here's the preliminary report:

Cold. I have this series of hills where my EGTs have always hit 800 degrees F winter or summer with these sticks on cruise control at 65 MPH. The new number is 700 degrees F. My cruise on the flat is marginally cooler, but that can be air temperature making that small difference at this low flow.

Clean. I used to have a puff when I passed vehicles, but the mirror is completely clear so far. I have not done any WOT runs, and I will not run the race tune anytime soon. I can say passing is more responsive without the need to bury my foot.

Loud. Cruise is fine... just a faint whistle (no louder than the rest of the engine), but 2 PSI boost (about 50 MPH) is absurd. It wouldn't drown out conversation, but a turbo harmonic is there that is clearly louder than the rest of the truck. I need to see if anything can be done to minimize it. No whooshing sounds, so it doesn't sound like the truck is trying to pull itself inside-out

I will soon put Stinky through high-altitude and AE tests... but that's not this week.
Maybe try to put some insulation around the box and see how that helps.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:02 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
From a noise standpoint, how does the 6637 stand against the AFE or the S&B? I'm talking noise only.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
The 6637s I've heard were on stock turbos, so the sound is completely different. I'd say the S&B and 38R is slightly quieter than a 6637 with stock turbo - and zero suction noise with my setup. The 38R is notoriously louder than stock, when using the same intake... but my AIS absolutely killed the sounds of both, so I have no reference here. I'll get a vid soon, and let you guys sort it out.

Quick Reply: S&B vs. AIS - With Photos