1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2001 Ranger Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 PM
dtimval
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Ranger Heater Core

Hello Everyone! My son has an '01 Ranger. Can anyone tell me what type metal the heater core is made of? As far as I know, it is original equipment. It leaks and I was wondering if he should try Bars Leak, and if so, which type. They make regular Bars Leak and aluminum formula. Hmmm... Any help is appreciated. David

Old 11-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Dan Robertson
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure what the heater core is made out of, most of them are aluminum. They plug very easily so I would be cautious using any kind of stop leak products.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
It is aluminum. I would not suggest any temp fix in there. It is a very high chance of just stopping the heater core up completely. The passageways in the heater core are very small. I would suggest a full fix, which is a pain in the butt, but even a newbie mechanic can change it with patience and the right tools.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:59 PM
dtimval
New User
Originally Posted by Frozen_Joker
It is aluminum. I would not suggest any temp fix in there. It is a very high chance of just stopping the heater core up completely. The passageways in the heater core are very small. I would suggest a full fix, which is a pain in the butt, but even a newbie mechanic can change it with patience and the right tools.
Any idea as to what amount to pay for this repair?

Old 11-14-2013, 09:00 PM
dtimval
New User
Originally Posted by Dan Robertson
I'm not sure what the heater core is made out of, most of them are aluminum. They plug very easily so I would be cautious using any kind of stop leak products.
Any idea of repair/replace cost?

Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
If you had a shop do it, it would range between 400-500 bucks. But do not pay more than that.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:51 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 Service manual suggest confirming heater core leak by testing.
Steps to remove include:
Remove evaporator core housing
Remove instrument panel
Remove PCM
Remove PCM heat sink
Remove 4 nuts from engine side of the dash panel
Remove the heater core cover (5 screws)
Remove heater core
Install in reverse procedure.

I suggest that your local Ford Dealer is the correct place to have this complicated process done correctly the first time.
Removing the evaporator core housing is a separate 10 steps including draining the refrigerant.
It might be just a hose loose and squirting into the cab (Hopefully).

Old 11-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
Not everyone can afford dealer price. But any reputable shop can do the same thing. A heater core replacement on an 04 ranger at the dealer I know costs nearly 1k plus a kid. Lol.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:10 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Not everyone can afford dealer price. But any reputable shop can do the same thing. A heater core replacement on an 04 ranger at the dealer I know costs nearly 1k plus a kid. Lol.
The reason for bring up the need to have the Ford Dealer determine if it's actually the heater core needing to be replaced or not, it might be some leak elsewhere that's easier to fix.

Sorry that you don't know any dealers, and that you drive a chevey! Ewww.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
I drive 3 fords thanks. Lol. Any shop can diagnose the same as a dealer. Also, the metro is not actually a chevy. It has Suzuki guts. Chevy bought the metro line, but did not change anything except the logo.

Besides, if it was was a line loose, you'd notice quite a bit of leakage. I have no doubts it's the heater core cause I have replaced 6 of them throughout my various Ford trucks. They are just known to be crappy. I'd always start with a flush to determine if it's clogged or not. Or get a temp gun and measure the temp on the incoming and outgoing lines to the heater core.

Anything a dealer can do, a reputable shop or I can do just as well. For a portion of the cost. Purely opinion though on your choice of who repairs.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:27 AM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Operative word, reputable.

Ford is beyond any doubt reputable.

I've found that anything written on the internet to be opinion.

and now your bragging that your poC is not even a C, hilarious.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:02 AM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
I am inclined to disagree. There is only two Ford dealers in the two nearest counties to me that I would ever go to for repairs. Why am I attacked for details on the reputable part?? When my point was the cost of the repair at the dealer??

And yes, the metro is not actually chevy on the inside. Do some research. My metro houses the G13BB motor. A Suzuki Swift motor. On another note, the chevy dealers here at least do not even do the engine or trans repairs in the Metros. They send the vehicle to the local Suzuki dealer for that repair.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
I am not saying Ford dealers are not reputable. I am only saying they are an expensive option. And for me, a very very last resort. I grew up fixing my own vehicles and my own things. I am not big on paying an arm, a leg, and a kid to fix them.

I am stating that any dealer repair is gonna be expensive. So why not look over other possible options such as a good shop that is NOT dealer. And yes they exist. Lol. If your first choice is the dealer, than so be it. He came on here to ask for everyone's 2 cents, so do not attack me for my 2 cents.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:33 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
I am not saying Ford dealers are not reputable. I am only saying they are an expensive option. And for me, a very very last resort. I grew up fixing my own vehicles and my own things. I am not big on paying an arm, a leg, and a kid to fix them.

I am stating that any dealer repair is gonna be expensive. So why not look over other possible options such as a good shop that is NOT dealer. And yes they exist. Lol. If your first choice is the dealer, than so be it. He came on here to ask for everyone's 2 cents, so do not attack me for my 2 cents.
So don't say anything about my 2 cents.

Furthermore, it is FORD TRUCK ENTHUSIASTS, change to one of your Fords and then its not a issue anymore.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Frozen_Joker
Tuned
I never made a negative comment towards your opinion. I said it was up to you if you preferred dealer. Lol.

As for the car listing right there...maybe you should get to know the site better. Cause it lists right there the newest of your garage. I have 3, about to be 4 vehicles in it. The garage is not just for Ford trucks only. Lol. Go look through others garages. You will find everything from harleys to vettes. The garage is there to list what vehicles you own and drive.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ranger Heater Core