1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

another zf6 thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:57 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another zf6 thread...

i am well aware that swapping a zf6 into our trucks is not a simple matter and requires some firewall and trans tunnel mods. however, since the zf5 i just put in my truck is in need of a rebuild, and since i'll be swapping engines and painting my truck all at the same time anyway, i'm thinking i may just go for a ZF6 and do the required work - if i can find one for a reasonable price and in reasonable shape.

a few questions for you all first - will a ZF6 from a 6.0 truck bolt up to our 7.3 block? i have to figure it would, but not sure.

would a BW4407 t-case bolt up to a ZF6? i think i remember reading that somewhere that the output shaft of the ZF6 is better than that of the ZF5, in which case the answer to my questions is no - is this definitely the case, though.

other than making the darn this fit, and these two issues the other other matters to consider are flywheel/clutch/pressure-plate, but i'm sure that can all be figured out...

thanks!

Old 11-13-2013, 10:22 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the input and the out put shafts are larger in the ZF6. The input side would not be a problem, all you would need is a clutch plate for it. On the output side, the the 4407 case will not fit, you need the Xcase from a superduty. In my opinion, the only benifit the 6spd has is the higher torque rating, and the lower ratio in the 1st gear. They also run a pump to cool the fluid that you would have to run lines to the radiator. Those ZF6 trannys are massive compaired the the ZF5. For me, it wouldn't be worth the effort to install one in an OBS.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:34 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by farmert
If I'm not mistaken, the input and the out put shafts are larger in the ZF6. The input side would not be a problem, all you would need is a clutch plate for it. On the output side, the the 4407 case will not fit, you need the Xcase from a superduty. In my opinion, the only benifit the 6spd has is the higher torque rating, and the lower ratio in the 1st gear. They also run a pump to cool the fluid that you would have to run lines to the radiator. Those ZF6 trannys are massive compaired the the ZF5. For me, it wouldn't be worth the effort to install one in an OBS.
The final drive gear has a different ratio too. Should see a drop in cruising RPMs and theoretically better mileage but you know how theorys are. I've heard of guys losing the cooler and plugging the ports on them too. But I agree, it's a helluva lot of work for very little gain over a ZF5.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
i agree - the gain in high end RMPs (hence fuel efficiency) is very little, but having driven my zf5 for a while now, I would actually like to have that extra gear in the middle there - without a load on the truck, the ZF5 is really just a 4-speed tranny as first is so low.

i'm not really dead set on it - I may just rebuild a zf5 that I have in pieces currently. but I figured, if I could find a zf6 for a decent price, maybe i'd just go that route and never worry about over-torqueing the trans again! plus, with my plans to have the engine out, fenders off and repaint the cab inside and out, there'd be no better time to cut up and reshape the firewall and trans tunnel.

and yes, I thought the output shaft was bigger, thanks for the confirmation, Tom.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:17 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
So what is the cooler for the ZF6 commissioned for an SD? Is it an in-radiator cooler like an autotragic? A separate cooler out in front of the rad?

Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 PM
JSchuricht
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's not too hard to install a zf6 in a OBS, I swapped a E4OD for one in my 95. You will need a zf6 from a 7.3, all others have a different bell housing. There is also a 10ga spacer between the engine and trans, you won't be reusing the 1" thick one your truck already has. For clearance I just dropped the crossmember down about 1" and used a manual trans floor hump. The front drive shaft from the SD works and I used the OBS rear drive shaft shortened about 1" with a 1410 yoke to mate to the NP271.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
i am well aware that swapping a zf6 into our trucks is not a simple matter and requires some firewall and trans tunnel mods. however, since the zf5 i just put in my truck is in need of a rebuild, and since i'll be swapping engines and painting my truck all at the same time anyway, i'm thinking i may just go for a ZF6 and do the required work - if i can find one for a reasonable price and in reasonable shape.

a few questions for you all first - will a ZF6 from a 6.0 truck bolt up to our 7.3 block? i have to figure it would, but not sure.

would a BW4407 t-case bolt up to a ZF6? i think i remember reading that somewhere that the output shaft of the ZF6 is better than that of the ZF5, in which case the answer to my questions is no - is this definitely the case, though.

other than making the darn this fit, and these two issues the other other matters to consider are flywheel/clutch/pressure-plate, but i'm sure that can all be figured out...

thanks!

GODD LUCK finding a ZF6 at a reasonable price. Junk yard sell them for $2250 as soon as they come in. Also repairing them is Just as expensive

A 6.0 ZF6 will NOT fit the 7.3

Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
zf6 OD is like .76, the zf5-42 is .72 IIRC.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:13 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Talyn
zf6 OD is like .76, the zf5-42 is .72 IIRC.
ZF5 S5-42 OD is 0.77

Old 11-14-2013, 12:54 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
I'm just gonna throw a wrench in here. I talked to my buddy who has a zf-6 in his 97 the other day. He says he didn't have to do anything to make it fit. Just bolted it all up. He used the T-case and all from the SD.

We're not close but I tend to trust the guy.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:38 AM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
GODD LUCK finding a ZF6 at a reasonable price. Junk yard sell them for $2250 as soon as they come in. Also repairing them is Just as expensive

A 6.0 ZF6 will NOT fit the 7.3
They're on CL here quiet often for pretty reasonable prices.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:56 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
There's actually a full swap for sale up in Portland right now for $3000 if you know anyone Rob.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:29 AM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Thats crazy expensive lol! No one I even know has $3000 on hand lol

Old 11-14-2013, 04:02 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
ZF5(s42 and s47) OD is .76
ZF6 OD is .72

Hardly any noticeable difference

Ford4Life7.3, what do you consider reasonably priced?

FI460, yeas it is a direct bolt in, IF you have the new clutch, t-case, trans mount and CUSTOM drive shafts to BOLT in

Old 11-14-2013, 06:19 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
yeah, no way i'm paying $2-3k for a used one when a professionally rebuilt ZF5 is less than that. I got to thinking about maybe using a zf6, though when I came across one on CL yesterday for $600 with tcase included. it was in a wrecked truck and supposedly drove fine. I emailed the guy though and someone is coming for it this weekend - plus its out of a 6.0.

and yeah, that OD difference in the zf5 vs 6 would likely be completely unnoticeable. that extra gear change in there would be 1/6 more awesome, though. I don't know about you guys, and maybe its just my tired old engine, or i'm a big wimp, but I wouldn't mind having that extra gear in there to keep the RPM's closer between shifts.

however, seeing as i'm in the market for another tranny since the used one that I bought last year turned out to have a bad reverse gear, I don't think i'd buy another used tranny without it being in a truck immediately prior to purchase so that I can confirm that it goes into all gears smoothly and doesn't pop out. under engine load.

i'm making my reverse gear work for now, but a rebuild of my parts ZF5-42 or a new tranny is definitely in order soon...

Quick Reply: another zf6 thread...