gas gauge ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 03:34 PM
slifer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas gauge ?

My gas gauge on my 85 f150 doesn't work right. It will go up to full when I fill it, but after 30 miles or so it will drop all the way to empty. I'm assuming it is the sending unit, but I'm not sure. Would it be easier to drop the tank, or just take off the bed to get to it? Anyone have any idea how hard of a job it is? It's not a big deal, I can live with the just writing down the mileage at fill-ups if it's too bad. Thanks guys

Old 06-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,741 Likes on 1,411 Posts
gas gauge ?

I can't say how bad a job it would be to lower the tank, since I replaced my tank when I was changing beds. I can say however that pulling the bed WAS work. All the bed bolts where rusted and just spun in the bed. So I had to take a grinder and grind each bolt head down so it would pull through the hole. Then I found out the original bolts have a large upper shank, with a smaller lower portion, so they wouldn't come out of the frame when I pulled the bed. So I had to take a sawzall and cut the bolts off so I could get them out of the frame. I was definitely having fun that day.

Old 06-22-2003, 10:36 PM
slifer
Senior User
gas gauge ?

Thanks Franklin2, that sounds like it might be too much fun for me, it'll have to stay broken I guess.

Old 06-23-2003, 12:12 AM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
gas gauge ?

It's not too bad dropping the tank. I've done it a few times and mine is 1/2 again the size of yours.

Old 06-23-2003, 12:50 AM
macguyver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gas gauge ?

Just to clarify... Franklin2 was talking about the bolts that hold the bed to the frame, not the bolts that hold the straps for the tank. Might be a little tough if rusty but not too bad.
If you can't get to the clamps for the filler hoses at the tank. loosen them at the filler door and pull the filler hoses through the gap between the bed and frame.
Just my 2¢
Greg

Old 06-25-2003, 10:51 AM
slifer
Senior User
gas gauge ?

Thanks for the info guys, I'll give it a shot next day off I get.