1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

"new" member intro..branson, mo

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 PM
razorback24
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"new" member intro..branson, mo

Well my wife decided to go and see her parents for a few months, so that means im here alone, so i thought what better time to move the 49/50 f1 truck that was my grandfathers in the garage and start work on it. i wish i started on this years ago, but finally i may get to. anyway, its been in a barn for the past 30 years. its mostly in good shape, few spots of rust i will need to repair, few dents in front of truck to pound out. but i do have a few questions. Btw im from branson, mo i know there is usually a truck show here every year, hopefully i can make it next year. i hope to get the truck here thursday/friday

it has 6v, what would i need to do to convert it to 12? i have to rewire it anyway, so i figure its a good time to look into it. i dont need a kit, just an idea of whats needed.

its a 6 cylinder, and the water pump is mostly frozen, do they make rebuilt kits for the 6 or just the 8?

looks like i need a new gas pedal (currently a large hinge is welded as the pedal) easier to just get one from one of the reproductions companies or source one from a used one?

i need a speedo, it has the housing there, just not the actual speedometer, better/easier to go aftermarket or find a used one?

what did the heater/ac units look like if they came with one? i found an ac unit that said "kf" was not sure if that was for the truck or some other car. it is definately old.

how can i tell if its a 49/50 i have a serial number first number is 9 so it shoudld be one of them? also i have the number off the tag and the one on the firewall can someone decode them?

any good salvage yards i might find some parts from in missouri/arkansas?

thats all i can think of for now, Im sorry to ask so many questions.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:02 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Hi there and welcome to the "club"" you may want to club your self about half way through this, yes you can get a rebuilt water pump parts are very easy to get ..denis Carpenter and other company's advertise here and give good service .my 54 F-350 iss 12 volt and it was light bulbs , and a generator and regulator everything else wiring included is original 6 volt wire is heavier then 12 volt ..asome one here will have a spedo ..we all seem to be pack rats , or have a "friend" wit parts last thing post any question ,but you should check the system first ..there is a lot of information here and a lot has been shared .the hard part,for me anyhow is when to stop looking ..and I really don't think our trucks ever came from the factory with air inthe 50's..

Old 11-06-2013, 07:01 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome Razorback! Sooweeee!

Congrats on getting started with a family project truck. I need to correct a point regarding the 226 water pump. To my searching and experience, there is not a rebuild kit - nor any replacements - available. Plenty of V8 stuff and much confusion regarding a sighting here or there. You may be fortunate to find a unit on the shelf somewhere - if you do, grab it. The continuing solution that is available involves a rebuild through RockAuto.com...yours goes to the rebuilder, they do their magic, you get your rebuilt unit back. Worked for me and was very pleased with the results.

On the gas pedal, there certainly are replacements available from LMC, Macs, and others for around $15. Since you'll need other materials (seals, some gaskets, brake parts) may make more sense to include it in the order than pay separate shipping for any used items.

The heater units were generally dealer options with a variety of different configurations. None of them included AC, to my knowledge. Do and advanced search on this forum and you'll see a number of pics - the Ford script version generally won the style competition, in my view.

While you are searching the forum, use it to decode your VIN. If you are fortunate, there is a code on the firewall - some were painted, others were stamped - that could give you additional info on the truck.

Ask all the questions you have - everybody learns something.

DW

Old 11-06-2013, 07:31 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Your truck should have come with the classic 3V-40 air conditioning.... that means 3 vents (2 wing and 1 cowl) and 40 mph..... this will condition your cab just right!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:56 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
and if you say something wrong ,,,at least 3 will correct you!!! I stand corrected !!!I may be wrong sometimes ..but I'm first to offer help .....and that get's the rest of the guys talking ...

Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Hi and welcome to the insanity! The people on here are very friendly and helpful, but sometimes we get tired of answering the same questions over and over since it can get tedious and boring, so do acquaint yourself with the search and especially the advanced search function available under the search v tab in the middle of the light blue band under the red and blue FTE logo near the top of every page. Clicking on it will give you the option to choose the advanced search a very powerful search tool. Searching on 12V conversion and selecting this forum (48-56 F100 and larger...) as where to search and you are likely to get 100s of hits and many hours of reading pleasure! it's perfectly OK to ask questions here as well, but check the search first to get much more info.
AFAIK the number stamped on the firewall was just for factory assembly line purpose and contains no useful or decipherable info. The rating plate on the inside of the glove compartment door and/or the ID # stamped on the frame will give more info including the exact year.
Here's a hint on how to get better answers: go to the user cp in that same band and add your location, city and state, and the year and model truck to your profile so the info shows up in your posts. Also add the year and model to your question topics. Not trying to pick, but a topic name like: "6V to 12V conversion on 50 F1 ?" will get more and specific responses than "Hey I'm new here"

Old 11-06-2013, 03:48 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Originally Posted by razorback24

how can i tell if its a 49/50 i have a serial number first number is 9 so it shoudld be one of them? also i have the number off the tag and the one on the firewall can someone decode them?

As you seem to be aware, Ford continued the serial numbers from 1949 through 1950. Deciding on if it's a 49 or a 50 will depend on the last 6 numbers of the consecutive unit number in the VIN. If you have less than 6, it's a 49. There's no hard and fast rule for the switchover, and all the assembly plants had groups of numbers they used. But a loose rule of thumb is if you're over 300,000, it's probably a 50. There's a very lengthy thread that has discussed this here for years, looking for the break point. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...n-cut-off.html

Some other points that would indicate the later truck was the running changes throughout 1950, which include moving the 3 speed shifter to the column from the floor (light duty trans only), and a redesign of the bed structure and the change from a stamped, raised panel sides to a flat panel design. If you can post your vin and firewall numbers, we can give you more clues to it's history.

For your water pump, check with Chuck's Trucks. If it's available, he can help. I have a hard time believing they are not available.
http://www.chuckstrucksllc.com/startframe.htm

Old 11-06-2013, 09:01 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome home, I think you will like it here. Its the best site for your truck on the internet.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to the FTE.
I just sold the last two 226 runners that i had taking up space but do have a spare used water pump if you cant find a replacement or rebuild kit. Also have a 254 big six if you need more HP
Cheers
Josh

Old 11-07-2013, 07:08 AM
FP
Elder User
Welcome aboard. This is a great bunch of knowledgeable folks. You should be able to find all the info you need. Enjoy the rebuild.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:27 AM
razorback24
Freshman User
thanks guys for the input, the last 6 are 313929 and it does have the floor shifter, hope to get more photos of interior when its in garage which i hope is tonight or tomorrow

Old 11-07-2013, 09:50 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 544 Likes on 350 Posts
Welcome,
FTE member james G. phillips is in AR and may be able to find you some used parts. He's great to work with and if he doesn't have the part he frequently knows others that might.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 AM
christurney77
Elder User
Hello from Neosho!

Old 11-11-2013, 11:41 PM
razorback24
Freshman User
Good to see some local guys got it in my basement there are two spots I'll have to weld in patch panels, right under front window pretty much entire section, and upper section of back right above window. Hopefully I can get the pics to upload..

Old 11-12-2013, 11:33 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Those are difficult areas to patch, good luck with them.

Quick Reply: "new" member intro..branson, mo