Sponsored by: Moser

Traded the '11,XLT, 5.0 last night

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Traded the '11,XLT, 5.0 last night

Now the proud owner of a ingot silver, FX4, Screw w/ 6.5 box, Max Tow, FX Luxury, 20" wheels, 3.73, EcoBoost.

Guys you've heard me defend the 5.0 to death, and I really loved that motor. That said, and along with my countless EcoBoost test drives, this truck was the best driving one everything else aside (I'm really not the biggest fan of silver) but there are almost zero, Max Tow, Screw, 6.5 boxes left out there in 2013 inventory so I had to take this one while I could (Personally I like the gunmetal contrast on the wheels against the silver and black parts).

This truck checked all of the boxes for me and came with some bonuses, had to have Max Tow & 3.73, had to have Screw and the 6.5 box for my business.

That said, I'm going to the dealer to pick it up this evening, they are spraying in a bed liner for me. Even though the truck had just 36 miles on it and had basically just come in, it had two scratches (very minor) one on the front bumper and on the passenger side door they are going to remove.

Got a really could price for my trade in, great price on the FX. Having owned the 2011, and driven a dozen EcoBoost F-150's over the last 3 months in almost every configuration and rear-end combo. This one doesn't appear to have any clunks, shudder, crazy shifting, buzzes etc... that's why I said I wanted to pull the trigger on it as it just felt solid.

Thanks to all here and the F-150 community for helping me come together on this decision. P.S. A proper review, pics & comparison versus my previous truck (*See sig) will be underway. I've got to run off to work but will report back once I get this bad boy home, have a perma-grin from ear-2-ear right now.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Congrats on the new truck! Very much looking forward to the review and comparison. Enjoy

P.S, any change you kept the raptor exhaust?? Still looking for one for my 5.0. Thanks

Old 11-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Congrats on the new truck! Very much looking forward to the review and comparison. Enjoy

P.S, any change you kept the raptor exhaust?? Still looking for one for my 5.0. Thanks
Thanks and truthfully while I loved the exhuast and the V8 sound, I'm looking forward to a quiet ride going forward.

Since I work out my truck and its my office, it gets difficult to hear clients on the Bluetooth with excessive exhuast sound going on all the time.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:09 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Congrats on the new rig!!! She's a pretty one and like you, I'm no fan of silver but this one looks great.

Remember, the MPG's on the ecoboost will improve incrementally as she wears in.

Looking forward to an honest and unbiased report since you now have had both engines.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Twin-I-Beam
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow

That is kinda weird. I almost bought that exact truck at FLF on Tuesday. Ended up buying its exact evil twin in the FX2 configuration instead thinking I didn't need the 4x4 since we have a Sahara wrangler at home. I love mine already. Glad I left the FX4 for you!!!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:35 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,363 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Congrats on your new truck!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Twin-I-Beam
That is kinda weird. I almost bought that exact truck at FLF on Tuesday. Ended up buying its exact evil twin in the FX2 configuration instead thinking I didn't need the 4x4 since we have a Sahara wrangler at home. I love mine already. Glad I left the FX4 for you!!!
I don't know if you did me a favor or not lol. But yeah just got it home, and am absolutely loving it so far. I remember seeing that FX2 you got there, great dealership to do business with. This is my 3rd Ford from that dealer.

BTW, they had a beautiful dark gray metallic in the overflow storage that I almost pulled the trigger on, but it didnt have Max Tow or 6.5 box, which were must haves for us.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:53 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Congrats on the new truck. Gotta love the sporty interior trim of the fx package. Hope it brings you many trouble free years and miles.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Twin-I-Beam
New User
My first from them but impressed with the business and more so with my truck. Absolutely love it so far.....enjoy

Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Twin-I-Beam
New User
I thought I was looking for the ruby red until I saw the silver. The package just works well with silver. The pu with the appearance pkg on the rack was nice too

Old 11-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Twin-I-Beam
I thought I was looking for the ruby red until I saw the silver. The package just works well with silver. The pu with the appearance pkg on the rack was nice too
I know, I saw two ruby red FX's at their back storage lot that had just come in, was taking a real good look but wanted the 20's after driving one with them. Had 18" wheels on my 2011 and liked the firmer ride in the corners with the 20" pkg.

Almost got that blue jeans Max Payload Lariat but wife did not care for the adobe two toned lower.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:18 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice.... Congrats and good luck with it.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:40 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside Pool!!

You will love the Ecoboost!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Ok here is a fresh pic from earlier today.

So far.......

-Loving the EcoBoost a lot! you can drive this truck around all day using just your toe if you wish and all whilst keeping revs below 2K.

-I'm getting slightly lower mpgs around town & highway .vs my '11, 5.0L V8 that I traded , but this new truck is understandably much heavier and has 3.73 gearing .vs the 3.55 & 5.0. Also this new truck is definitely not broken in yet, and I only have 130 miles on it lol.

- I seriously thought I was going to go crazy not hearing that beautiful V8 music anymore, but I'm loving the whisper quiet EcoBoost engine, and yes now I get it the turbo sound is addicting. Especially like being apple to slip right past other slower moving traffic, in a sort of stealthy mode. With the V8 and exhaust, people would hear me speed up and attempt to "close the gap" thus requiring an embarrassing full throttle lurch to get ahead. Not necessary with this EcoBoost. By the time they realize I want to pass, it's way too late for them to even think about being an idot.

-Not sure if it's the sporty "FX" badge, or the trucks looks, or the EcoBoost badge, but every Full-sized truck, and also the Tacoma type truck owners all want to either "Race", "Push the pace with me" or cut me off in traffic. never noticed this at all with my 2011, XLT, Scab, Chrome pkg. One thing for sure this truck appears to turn every head at stop lights and parking lots.

-I was nervous about the Ford My Touch & Sync system (Had Sync basic in my XLT) But I am loving the Ford My Touch in this new truck a lot. If it's buggy to some like I have read all over the net, I have not experienced this yet myself. I also love how the HAVC and accessories are all on the touch screen. Biggest improvement, the Bluetooth connectivity with my '13 and the Ford My Touch, is SOooooooooOO much faster than the Sync basic in my '11, XLT. I used to cuss at my previous SYNC system all the time, for taking what seemed like forever and a day to connect back with my iphone 4s everytime I got in & out of the truck.

With the new truck, as soon as I put the key in, it's connected to my phone and playing music from my iTunes

-These seats are extremely comfy, I'm sure its just my imagination since I've got a new truck, but the FX seats are a lot more comfortable and supportive than my XLT (I know its still the same seat) but the lumbar is 10x better on the new one.

-Couple of things I've notice so far, this morning at cold startup. Truck had 82 miles +/- etc.... I used the remote start and stood at the back while the EcoBoost fired up. A fair amount of black-ish dark gray smoke came out for about 5-10 seconds, followed with what sounded like very small, barely traceable, but noticible to a discerning ear little back fires lol. Then you hear the turbo's (I think??) spool up and then settle and everything is quiet.

The smoke is probably normal because of DI, and the other noises are the PCM trying to "Tame the beast" while still in open loop cycle?? Also after driving the truck most of the day, the right side of the bed, at the back has a considerable amount of soot on it. Almost as much as would collect on the bedside of my old '05, Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9 Cummins diesel lol. Kind of glad I didn't get white like I wanted if that is going to be normal.

-So far, this is the smoothest riding '09-2013 F-150 I have driven EVAR. My 2011, Scab, 5.0, 3.55 etc... had the slip bump, click & pop when you stop and take off from the rear-end. Also had the 10-30 mph shudder during the 2-3 shift. This truck is absolutely drum tight , zero bumps or clunks in the drivetrain (And I'm looking for it) Zero shudder anywhere in the gear range "Thank Goodness" I was hoping (Praying) I never had to re-live that fiasco ever again with a truck.

-Ohh biggest difference so far between 5.0 & EcoBoost. Not sure if it's the Ecoboost or the 3.73 gearing? But compered to my 2011, 5.0, 3.55 the new truck does not hunt or lug in the higher gears, when driving through town. My 5.0 would always try to force up-shift into 5 & 6th when just cruising at 45-50 mph in town (Extremely annoying) I often found myself manually locking out 5 & 6th when in town driving. I hated that cause it gets bothersome when doing a lot of town/ highway and in between driving. With my new truck there is zero need to "lockout" the upper gears in town as the motor and drivetrain seem to sort that out better in this rig.

I understand the 6R80 tries to force all shift point up to the tallest gear possible to save fuel, but it always felt like it was lugging with my 5.0 if that makes sense. Just barely touching the gas at times would have it down-shift and then back to 6th and so on.

This EcoBoost feels happy to be cruising around in any gear tall or low, and doesn't bog at any gear range at all. Love that feeling.

Anyway, going to drive some more, put some more smiles on (I mean miles) and report as the cogs roll on the odometer.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:18 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice report...I really like the little diesel like sound of the motor when you are heavy on the throttle. I have yet to hear the turbos spool up on mine...maybe I am deaf? The EGOboost is really happy at about 1800 rpm...it doesn't break a sweat. Going up steep grades it can purr along at that rpm at 65 all day long. I have even gone up some 6% grades without it down shifting once.

One thing about the EGOboost...it likes to be driven a little hard once in awhile. Your milage will slowly climb...mine is pretty good...although I did not get a mpg boost above 6,000 miles like others have.

Funny that I find myself doing 65 mph MUCH more with this truck...as my cruising speed used to be around 80 with my other vehicles....maybe I am trying all the time to get the best mpg??..lol

Quick Reply: Traded the '11,XLT, 5.0 last night