1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

RANT!: I hate it when this site

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
RANT!: I hate it when this site

lets me log on, compose a long detailed post to a technical question, then when I hit the post button it pops up an error box saying "you don't have permission to post, etc" because you took too long to write it so we kicked you out without warning (it says i am still logged in at the top of the page, so i don't know if/when it decided to give me the boot) and to add injury to insult dumps my carefully constructed post into cyberspace without any chance to recover any of my work.

I just lost about an hour's worth of information I was trying to post to Jrock's body repair question. I sure wish they would change this so it gives you a pop-up warning that your session is about to time out and allow you to re-up like a lot of log in sites do, or at least not delete what I was trying to post, after all I must have thought it was important enough to write it and be trying to post it in the first place, if I wanted it deleted there's a key on MY keyboard for that! I am more than willing to help provide detailed info here, but I don't always have the time or desire to waste the better part of a day typing it over two or three times, I'm not a speed typist. This is not the first time this has happened.
OK, rant over, nothing more to see here, move on...

Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
When I have really long inputs, I willl often compose off-line then cutandpaste onto a time sensitive site. It is frustrating to love work.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
I typed a reply to somebody the other night, fell asleep, woke up the next morning and picked up my computer (my wife took it out of my lap after I started snoozing). What I typed was still there, so I hit the submit button. I got the same reply. LOL

All I have to say is "Copy-->Paste"

Old 10-30-2013, 03:39 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Problem is when I am reading through the posts then get deep in thought composing, typing, proofing, correcting a reply to one I will lose track of how long it has been between activities and just hit the post button without thinking about it. If it would just let you recover it.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
I've also had that to happen. Kinda removes the incentive to post anything.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:31 PM
ADOR
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had this happen to me several time on the computer sites I am on. When I am doing one of my guides or a very long post I either 1: high light it and copy it before hitting send. OR 2: I work on it inside of a word document then copy paste it where I want it.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Careful now AX, remember what happened to Julie when she bitched!? Proofing isn't necessary anyway; see "Mormon-Harrington" thread....

The last few days the site has been so slow that I've lost 3 or 4 replies that "timed out" AFTER I hit Submit... much better today.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Normalbloke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone already said, cut and paste....

Old 10-30-2013, 05:53 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Wow, that never happened to me, but I don't have as much tech and info as Ax and some others .

Ax, I am sorry that happened to you as you have a knack for making technical stuff easily readable and have helped many guys on here....

I better close now so I don't lose what I typed!

Old 10-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Come on Ax, you know as well as any of us that if you plotted our technical expertise on a graph, you would be more than three standard deviations from the median. In short, way out on the fringe of the bell curve. So, cut and paste is the answer. Now, what happened to Julie when she bitched?? I missed that. Is that why she not around anymore? Did she get whacked? Your friend, Jag

Old 10-30-2013, 06:23 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I'm over it, NEVERMIND!

Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Tee-hee!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Come on Ax, you know as well as any of us that if you plotted our technical expertise on a graph, you would be more than three standard deviations from the median. In short, way out on the fringe of the bell curve. So, cut and paste is the answer. Now, what happened to Julie when she bitched?? I missed that. Is that why she not around anymore? Did she get whacked? Your friend, Jag
Jag, there is an easy way to find the Julie thread. Hint: it has a lot of views. I will do the decent thing and not post the link here or post in the thread. (it's tempting sometimes to bring it up though.)

Originally Posted by AXracer
I'm over it, NEVERMIND!
AX, you know we can't let a thread like this die quietly. If we were normal folk, we wouldn't be here.

Next time this happens to someone try hitting the back button on the browser. Depending on how the web site handles things, it might bring it back for you.

Also AX, your long thought out posts are extremely helpful to us knowledge challenged folk. So don't let this deter you. Shoot, even your short quick posts are more helpful than many.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Tee-hee!
Now don't start that!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:18 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Ax, I heartily agree that your posts are highly informative and you have a great command of the english language as well. I still don't know how to cut and paste, and I tend to be very wordy in my posts. My posts are long and detailed, but they never seem to teach anyone anything. They just go on and on. My history teacher in the ninth grade told me I had diarreah of the mouth and constipation of the brain. Not sure they can tell a kid that these days in front of the class. So, my hope is that you won't get discouraged, and you will keep teaching us. I did notice in the recent 'fabrication' thread that you aren't really blue. You look like a white skinned, gray haired dude like me. What's up with that???

Quick Reply: RANT!: I hate it when this site