1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Look at my filthy engine and let me ask....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Look at my filthy engine and let me ask....

I guess I need to replace my intercooler boots, but does it look like my AIH delete plug/boost fitting is leaking too? I swear Ive tried to tighten that thing a couple of times but Im scared Im gonna strip the thread in the turbo housing. Anybody else have a problem with that? Before I had the boost gauge fitting, i had just the delete plug and I think that one leaked too.

Attached Images      
Old 10-24-2013, 03:22 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that poor motor! A/Ox4 had made up a pretty cool boost leak detector. Go to youtube and type in Trey Spooner in the search and look for, How to: Make a boost leak detector. Pay attention to what he is saying about not adding 100 psi to the system as it could damage it only about 15 to 20 psi will do. Hats off to you Trey. Nice vids.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:37 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
What strikes me is that everything to the rear of the fan seems to be getting a mist of oil or something. Look at the ac compressor, then the alternator, clean. The battery cables could use some attention. Just sayin. I would start with a good cleaning and boost leak test and go from there.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:50 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need a good engine cleaning, a CCV mod, clean battery terminals, and check for boost leaks with soap and water. That stuff would be on my to-do list sooner than later with that engine..

Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Yeah I know about the battery terminals. Why do I need a CCV mod?

Old 10-24-2013, 05:59 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow that is nasty !!! Or is that your truck has 500k on it and the engine has never been cleaned. Sorry I'm just saying that looks bad. Before you do anything else I would be cleaning that engine and then take the intercooler pipes off and clean the boots. I myself use engine degreaser and a pressure washer on mine before. Some guys don't like using engine degreaser and prefer Simple Green. To each there own. Just make sure to put a plastic bag over the alt and p/s fill cap.

Then I would pull the oil fill cap and see what kind of blow by you have. Hopefully that isn't a major issue. Then do a ccv modd and there are many different ways to do it too. I made a catch can and routed it back to the intake. I get about 4oz every 5k miles and I still get alittle bit around the boots. But I can live with it. Better than having oil drip on my driveway. But I think it is important to clean the doghouse out good to make sure it doesn't get clogged up with nasty old oil so that it can trap the new oil mist better.

But my boots still look like this. Clean!!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Km1210
Elder User
LOL! Nice sticker Kuzz!

Studawg, I would definitely get some sort of degreaser and spray that engine down.

You should consider getting Clay's (Riffraff) boots.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:27 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

How many miles since it was clean?

Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I think that plug has an o-ring, right? Shouldn't have to be that tight. I'd just rinse it down with simple green a few times and see where its coming from.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:35 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Km1210
LOL! Nice sticker Kuzz!

Studawg, I would definitely get some sort of degreaser and spray that engine down.

You should consider getting Clay's (Riffraff) boots.
OOpppsss I forgot about the sticker being in the photo. Come on now...You are suppose to be looking at my clean IC pipes. LOL

Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Ha, dig the sticker!!! That's a perfect example of a nice clean motor.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
You need a good engine cleaning, a CCV mod, clean battery terminals, and check for boost leaks with soap and water. That stuff would be on my to-do list sooner than later with that engine..
What he said.
I kinda liked it clean.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/m...+day-9152.html

Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have a truck that looks WORSE than this. Oddly enough, it's an '02 Excursion...
However, it's literally the best running 7.3 I've ever driven, and I've driven well over a dozen of em.

How much oil do you add between changes? Any noticeable leaks?

Your pictures don't rattle me much personally. The only thing that does scare me is the condition of the battery cables. I'm sure you're aware that it's a matter of when, not if, you'll have a problem stemming from those cables if not cleaned.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Originally Posted by clem1226
How many miles since it was clean?
I guess it was clean when I bought it in 12/2010, about 60k miles ago.

Originally Posted by t.scottNDU
We have a truck that looks WORSE than this. Oddly enough, it's an '02 Excursion...
However, it's literally the best running 7.3 I've ever driven, and I've driven well over a dozen of em.

How much oil do you add between changes? Any noticeable leaks?

Your pictures don't rattle me much personally. The only thing that does scare me is the condition of the battery cables. I'm sure you're aware that it's a matter of when, not if, you'll have a problem stemming from those cables if not cleaned.
It doesnt leak or go through any oil at all, 8000 mile changes. I recently got a glowing report back from Blackstone, recommending I go to 9500 mile intervals.

Anyway, I guess Ill clean it up a little and go from there.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:18 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Studawg
I guess it was clean when I bought it in 12/2010, about 60k miles ago.

Then that looks pretty normal to me, I have over 400K on mine and it has looked like that a few times just from LOTS OF DRIVING. Once in a while I get a wild hair clean it up but normally I just maintain it and keep the hood closed.

Mine happens to be pretty shiny right now but I had some motivation in the form of a sage rat taking up residence in the valley over night last week. I very quickly got rid of his stink with some engine degreaser and a wand at the local car wash. Then I had a very serious conversation with my 4 legged yard assassin and let her know that if the before mentioned sage rat was allowed to continue to live all government (me) subsidized meals would be discontinued. The sage rat was on the welcome mat( in a bad way) when I got home that evening....the subsidized meals continue.

Quick Reply: Look at my filthy engine and let me ask....