Sponsored by:

Flowmaster recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 09:51 PM
LbbBronco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a 1993 Eddie Bauer Bronco, and have been in love with it since the first time I started it on the test drive.
My only issue is the exhaust. It's a 351, and the v6 in my van sounds meaner...
I know how aggressive the flowmaster 40 series is (a friend has one on his 2001 Avalanche). While I love the way they sound, it's a little too much for my daily driving needs; plus, I enjoy being able to hear people riding with me.
I checked out the flowmaster 50 delta flows on flowmastermufflers.com, and really like the sound, and the fact that the interior noise is significantly lower than the 40's and others.
Has anyone had any experience with these on the broncos?

One more thing. I noticed that the exhaust pipe is only 2 1/4"... To me this sound extremely small for only a single exhaust for something with as much displacement as the 351. What size of pipe would you recommend for the bronco's with the 351? I was thinking at least a 3", but, being that this is my first ford, I thought I'd as someone with more experience; you guys!

Old 06-18-2003, 10:27 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru

Avalanche
anyways
3" pipe for a single is nice, personally I like 2-1/2" to 3" duels.
Several people here have talked about and enjoy there 3" single pipes. It's just whatever does it for you.
Good luck.

Old 06-19-2003, 10:02 AM
mrwizard
Posting Guru

Check out Edelbrock RPM series mufflers. Put one on my '85 Bronco and loved it. Not too loud, but very deep rumble. Quiet inside the rig too.

Old 06-19-2003, 11:38 AM
fcarruth
Elder User

I just installed dual Flowmaster 70 series mufflers and I love the power gain and pickup but don't care for the noise. Of course, I have no catalytic convertors so that would make it quiet a bit louder. Heck, I wanted to add something inline to quieten it down but can't find anything.

Old 06-19-2003, 11:44 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have single 3" pipe from the cat back through a 50 series and I love it. I asked the muff shop guy to put it in at a slight angle so it wouldnt resinate as much in the cab and so far has been the ticket.

later

Old 06-19-2003, 12:41 PM
BroncoBlasta
New User

hey whats up i got a 87 bronco with 2" 3/4 pipes on it its all flowmaster the muffler is a 3 chamber an it sounds pritty mean when you put you foot in her an just driving around i got my set up off ebay an i only payed 150$ for the hole set up from cat backso if any thing i would go to ebay first to see what they have ok

Old 06-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Nitro375
Junior User
Smile Flowmaster recommendations?

I have the Gibson on my 96, its been on about a month now and is really nice, it got NOISIER with miles but is still nice.
My Brother has the R.V. series [I think they call it the 70] on his 85 F-250 460 and though nice for his pickup, seems a little noisey for a full cab vehicle like a Bronco, however thats just me and we all like what we like.

I guess I should have explained that my Brothers is a Flowmaster....woops......anyway they are all good, get what you like, they are all good products.

Old 07-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Chad Winship
Junior User

Originally posted by Kemicalburns
I have single 3" pipe from the cat back through a 50 series and I love it. I asked the muff shop guy to put it in at a slight angle so it wouldnt resinate as much in the cab and so far has been the ticket.

later
Where'd you get this setup? I'm looking for this exact thing but was hoping to install myself. Found a kit at Jegs with the 50 seires muffler but it only uses 2.5" pipes. Did you have it done at a chain?

Also, anyone know how much I'd be loosing /gaining between the 2.5 an 3" pipes.

Thanks

Old 07-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It was done by a local shop . but im sure any Muffler shop can do this. i had dropped it off in the am and it was done by noon. very nice, it does resonate a bit in the back still but not as bad compared to others ive heard. but having it installed at a slight angle helps alot i think.

later