factory stereo wiring / plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:47 PM
ycis
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
factory stereo wiring / plugs

factory stereo, whats the 2nd plug for?

so i went to remove the factory unit to install my new jvc unit, and discovered there are two plugs in the back of the factory unit (and the adapter I got was incorrect).

while the long thin one seems pretty obvious as the connector matches...whats the square one for? The rear controls etc?

do you have to even bother with this or can you just leave it unplugged if you dont care about rear volume controls?

Id read on other threads that disconnecting the rear volume controls can disable the rear speakers? or is that just someone screwing something up?

is there an adapter that would let you connect both of those plugs to the aftermarket stereo harness?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:02 PM
ycis
Senior User
this is epically ridiculous.

the more I search, the more different "adapters" say will fit...and clearly some just flat out wont.

the long thin connector appears to have 14 pins.

the round one with 3 rows of pins I count 20 on.

both go into the same "bundle" in the dash....my truck does not have a rear entertainment system/dvd.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
That square one is a 'new world' connector that carries the audio for the DVD player (if equipped, power for the screen (if equipped).

I'm fairly certain that Ford used the same wiring harness regadless of if it had the DVD player or not. You don't care about that plug, you only care about the 'phase 2' rectangular plug. You will lose the headphone out in the 2nd row and the volume control.

Note that the rectangular plug carries the audio for all 6 speakers (the 3rd row is a 2nd set of rears).

Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 PM
ycis
Senior User
thank you sir!

next question (after I finish smacking the guy who told me to buy all this crap that doesnt work upside his head)!

does anyone make a double din mounting bracket that allows you to remove the radio (using insert/tools is fine) without removing the dash panel after installing it?

the kit I bought specifically says "you cannot remove this radio without removing the dash panel after installation"

this seems.....well....completely effing retarded.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:49 AM
Technologiq
Elder User
If you find one let me know. I haven't 'properly' installed my new head unit yet because of this.

Originally Posted by ycis
thank you sir!

next question (after I finish smacking the guy who told me to buy all this crap that doesnt work upside his head)!

does anyone make a double din mounting bracket that allows you to remove the radio (using insert/tools is fine) without removing the dash panel after installing it?

the kit I bought specifically says "you cannot remove this radio without removing the dash panel after installation"

this seems.....well....completely effing retarded.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:03 AM
ycis
Senior User
meh, id just assume use some double sided tape to hold the stereo in before I clip it in permanently.

surely someone more creative than me has come up with a solution to this?

Old 10-01-2013, 05:13 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No. It is such a modified fit there is no premade kit that allows for easy removal. Make sure you pull the bolt in the cavity above the hu. And the rear audio is split at the headphone panel, only four channels are present in the rectangular connector. Yank that and you lose the rears all together. Note that you will have weak rear audio unless you are using a 2ohm capable hu or amp. Or disconnect one of the rear sets.

EDIT:

Here are your connector views for reference.

Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Technologiq
Elder User
I'm not sure that's correct. In my '02 I still get audio through all the speakers if the New World connector is left unplugged. As you've said however, you're now splitting the power for the rears between 4 speakers. I'm looking to install this little guy to power the two rears Amazon.com: Sound Storm Laboratories EV2.200 200-Watt 2-Channel Power Amplifier with High/Low Crossover: Car Electronics

Originally Posted by Archion
And the rear audio is split at the headphone panel, only four channels are present in the rectangular connector. Yank that and you lose the rears all together. Note that you will have weak rear audio unless you are using a 2ohm capable hu or amp. Or disconnect one of the rear sets.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:31 AM
ycis
Senior User
comments on this one say it allows for the radio to be removed without the dash panel

Amazon.com : Ford Double Din Dash Kit : Ford Explorer Accessories : Electronics Amazon.com : Ford Double Din Dash Kit : Ford Explorer Accessories : Electronics

at 7 bucks, i gave it a shot...will let ya know.

are the 3rd row speakers just 1way single cones? or 2/3way multi style speakers?

Old 10-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
Well I just bought that too. I can see how you can just take the bezel off to expose the radio which is good.

The 3rd row speakers are single cones. I just replaced all 6 of my speakers though with 4 ways.

Originally Posted by ycis
comments on this one say it allows for the radio to be removed without the dash panel

Amazon.com : Ford Double Din Dash Kit : Ford Explorer Accessories : Electronics

at 7 bucks, i gave it a shot...will let ya know.

are the 3rd row speakers just 1way single cones? or 2/3way multi style speakers?

Old 10-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Archion
Postmaster
That is Ford's wiring diagram, I would hope that it's right...lol

I didnt say that any speakers went through the RSE connector, only that there were only 4 channels present at the main connector. It is split further back at the headphone/rear control panel. If you yank the panel, like removing the console, you lose the rears. The OE system is still only a 4 channel audio system, no matter how many speakers they crammed in there. The OE head unit is 2ohm capable and powerful enough to handle the split off.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
Sorry for my misunderstanding. That makes sense - thank you.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Archion
Postmaster
No Problem!

Old 10-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait a darn minute! You mean that people that put GPS headunits in that need tied into the vehicle speed sensor can just grab pin 9 of the 20 pin connector???

Old 10-01-2013, 08:12 PM
ycis
Senior User
i just plan on tying the rear most 2 speakers into the amp powering the subs in the back already.

no sense in using them with the front 4 if they are just component speakers.

Quick Reply: factory stereo wiring / plugs