1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT: NE dealer auction on now

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:27 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
OT: NE dealer auction on now

It's been posted a couple times before about the NE Chev dealership with nearly 500 new to nearly new old cars some with less than 10 miles on it and trucks the owner put away and just left them sit, some inside, many just outside in a field. They are being auctioned off right now live on the history channel.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:37 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Not live I don't believe, recorded. I went nuts yelling at the TV, hearing the idiot talking heads blabbering on instead of airing the auctioneer and sales that I turned if off. Stu

Old 09-28-2013, 09:25 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I bet the IRS guys are just licking their chops.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 AM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
what small part i watched last night: mob scene, apparently unable to broadcast the actual auction, some lame up close and personal segments. i would just like to see the truck/car and the auction.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:31 AM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I saw part of it-in the end the guy said that a 1958 chevy cameo went for $140,000

Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Not live I don't believe, recorded. I went nuts yelling at the TV, hearing the idiot talking heads blabbering on instead of airing the auctioneer and sales that I turned if off. Stu
Stu, I was thinking exactly the same thing. I couldn't watch it last night so I recorded to watch it today. What a disappointed. They formatted the show like a typical sports broadcast with the two talking heads blathering I think at least half the three hour show. My kid watches ESPN and the other sports channels and I have never heard a panel of people spend hours talking about nothing like the sports guys until now. There were some interesting information about the dealer and his dealership but way too much fluff. Anyone who has gone to a live auction knows they can easily drag out for 4-5 hours. This show was 3 hours and they just talked for almost half. I also had to turn it off after fast forwarding through the first half and all they did was talk. I was very disappointing.

Originally Posted by r_reed
what small part i watched last night: mob scene, apparently unable to broadcast the actual auction, some lame up close and personal segments. i would just like to see the truck/car and the auction.
I would have found that if they would have set a few cameras around, one on the auctioneer, panning around the item on the block and one with an occasional view of the crowd would have been all I wanted to see. No need for the commentators at all. I think if there was a sale with heated bidding going on that would have been of some interest. I know when I go to live auctions and the price is going nuts I like to watch the 2-3 nuts cases who try to outbid each other. I'm sure this must have gone on quite a bit at this auction but again, I couldn't stand watching the show any more. Maybe tonight when I'm going to bed I'll try to watch the rest. From the first half I'd bet it'll help put me to sleep.

Just an added note, if or when I do watch the rest I'm sure I'll get frustrated at the crazy bidding on the field cars. Most seemed to have extremely low miles but were out in the elements way too long and suffered so much damage that even if they only had less than 10 miles to me they still weren't worth more than another vehicle with 90K miles that had been sitting in a field for 30+ years. I'm sure there were many nuts out there willing to bid the sky to say they have a low mile vehicle from the Lambert auction.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:40 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
The morons doing all the talking were the hosts of the US version of Top Gear, a sad knock off of the excellent British show. Stu

Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
140 000 for thd Cameo? Rare ? Yes! But jesus?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:59 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I'd bet it was a major waste of time attending this auction in person, especially for the cars that were stored inside. The more money than brains types had already sent their scouts out weeks ago and they just sat at home and placed their max bids. I'd also bet a majority of the really nice cars are heading to Europe. There were probably major auto transport vehicles sitting on the highway waiting for there loads.

I've gone to a few auctions that I stood around all day until they started the bidding on the better items at the end only to find there had been minimum bids already placed that no one in the crowd were willing to compete with. The auctioneers failed to mention this fact until almost the end of bidding. A total waste of time.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:06 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
The morons doing all the talking were the hosts of the US version of Top Gear, a sad knock off of the excellent British show. Stu
I totally agree. The US version is a joke.

But then, this is the high quality work I've come to expect from the "History" channel, along with Discovery, TLC, and all the other "educational" and "Historical" channels.

Americans will ruin anything for another dollar.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:21 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
I totally agree. The US version is a joke.

But then, this is the high quality work I've come to expect from the "History" channel, along with Discovery, TLC, and all the other "educational" and "Historical" channels.

Americans will ruin anything for another dollar.
I have dish TV with 300+ channels, on a good night I might find 1-2 shows on. I suppose if I ponied up for the premium channels I might get a couple of more but when we first signed up we had the premium channels "free" for the first six months and hardly watched any shows on those either.

To me it would make more sense to have a choice of selecting a dozen channels you want to watch and skip over all the cooking, house flipping and sports channels I never watch.

The auction show was like any of the other shows, no real substance, just a lot of fluff.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:23 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
I was also disappointed . Almost feel ashamed that I posted a thread giving the heads up on the history channel coverage . Sorry .I real feel they dropped the ball on this one .

Old 09-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I turned to it last night and kept waiting for those two pinheads to shut up and let us watch the auction but after 30 minutes of those 2 blathering idiots I turned it off.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:15 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Yes, I'm sorry I posted this alert, the coverage was a joke, the prices bid were ridiculous! The bunch of C10 fleet pickups being bid to 30 and 40K. Yes, they only had a couple miles on the odometer, but sitting neglected in a field for 50 years did nothing to improve their value, even ignoring the fact they were "stripper vehicles". They were rusty, frozen up piles of ****, not much better than anything else dragged out of a junk yard. Wait until these speculator buyer put them into other auctions looking to make a profit on them, are they going to be in for a surprise. They will have to make one of two hard decisions: 1. don't do anything except possibly wash it, That will make them worth about 1/2 what they paid for it max, or 2. put 10-15K or more into it restoring it and making it a safe driver, then their now 50K investment will be worth maybe 30K max. They are not a rare or special model or banner year to make collectors drool. You could buy an clean used example for 3-5K all day long and put the same amount of work, $ into it and about break even on a resale.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:25 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Another quality auction possibility squandered to the utmost!

Quick Reply: OT: NE dealer auction on now