6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Jet fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 05:20 PM
crazymut
Laughing Gas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet fuel

Just wondering if like the 7.3, can the 6.0 run jet fuel?

Old 09-28-2013, 05:46 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't answer for sure but if I had to put a pay check on it, I'd say no, no, no.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:55 PM
crazymut
Laughing Gas

I was not sure and wasn't about to do it without knowing first. I know my 2001, 7.3 can but it also is a non cat.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:36 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Jet fuel in my op. is closer to gasoline than diesel. In 68 in a pinch, army, we would put gasoline in the deuce & 1/2's Detroit diesels and they would get us there. They rattled like a 100 rocks in a 50 gal. drum. Todays diesels can't handle that.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
You can run JP-8 and Kerosene no problem in a 6.0.

Josh

Old 09-28-2013, 07:00 PM
crazymut
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by Bullitt390

Josh
I thought you probably could. Jet fuel and kerosene are very similar to Diesel. Way different than gasoline. By jet fuel I do mean JP-8

Old 09-28-2013, 07:28 PM
69cj
Hotshot

Josh
Better your truck than mine Josh. I'm a big chicken, LOL

Old 09-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
I was watc

ENDEX
-----ENDEX
---------ENDEX

Old 09-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by 69cj
Better your truck than mine Josh. I'm a big chicken, LOL
All military diesel vehicles run JP-8 and many use JP-8 as engine coolant.

Josh

Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty sure JP-8 doesn't have necessary lubricity, worse than ultra-low diesel, IIRC. Seems it would be even harsher for a 7.3, if that is correct. Or maybe that was JetA I'm thinking about...

Old 09-28-2013, 07:51 PM
69cj
Hotshot
All military diesel vehicles run JP-8 and many use JP-8 as engine coolant.

Josh
I'm not driving a military vehicle. Once again your call and your truck, with all due respect. That's why this forum is so great. We can agree to disagree.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by 69cj
I'm not driving a military vehicle. Once again your call and your truck, with all due respect. That's why this forum is so great. We can agree to disagree.
As a side point, I ran over 100,000 miles in my 2005 on B20. Love that stuff.

If I could get my hands on Jet-A or JP-8 I would gladly run it. I wouldn't go out of my way to use it, and certainly wouldn't pay more for it.

Just pointing out there are several VT365 equipped military vehicles that have to run JP-8 aka Jet-A1 fuel (Navy is JP-5).

Josh

Old 09-28-2013, 08:07 PM
crazymut
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
Pretty sure JP-8 doesn't have necessary lubricity, worse than ultra-low diesel, IIRC. Seems it would be even harsher for a 7.3, if that is correct. Or maybe that was JetA I'm thinking about...
Fords owners engine manual specifically states jet-A JP-8 can be run in the 7.3

Old 09-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Hi guys,

I used to work in military fuels for a job, there are a few issues with running jet in a normal C/I engine. One big plus as well.

First is lubricity, in older engines it was the fuel pumps that would suffer ( US had heaps of issues with early Humvees) and in modern engines it is more the injectors that will be critical.
Second is Cetane rating, jet can be on the low side for some engines and Cetane is not a specification requirement for jet so you cant tell from checking the batch certificate of quality.
There is a "drop in" L/I C/I (lubricity improver, cetane improver) additive specifically for jet use in ground equipment, it is military approved and quality controlled, NATO code S-1750 I know Chevron and NYCO make it, NYCO have it in small packs.
Third is Sulphur content, jet is very high in Sulphur as there is no requirement for low or ultra low Sulphur levels in jet like you have in Diesel, in fact some of the Sulphur removed from the Dieso gets streamed into the jet to get rid of it. If you have a relatively modern emission control system this will cause issues, particularly with high EGR engines as you get Sulphuric acid damage in the intake, turbos and heads. The other area of accumulation of acid is the engine oil, modern oils have dropped the requirement for high alkaline reserve, or total base number (TBN) due to ultra low Sulphur Dieso, so you can deplete the oil and have acidic conditions in the crankcase. You can condition monitor the oil to find the best changeout points while running jet but a quick rule of thumb is to halve your oil change intervals to be on the safe side.
Fourth prob is the energy density, engines running on jet make less power than on diesel and require more throttle input to maintain the same tractive effort.
Fifth prob is the flash point, all of the normal jet fuels ( jet a, jet a1, f-34/jp-8, TS1, etc) have a low flash point and are classified as flammable. So exercise appropriate care whilst handling. The naval jet fuels ( avcat, f-44/jp-5) have a high flash and are combustibles the same as Dieso.

The big bonus - freeze point, jet has no wax so doesn't gel like Dieso and is good down to -47 degrees celcius. Whilst you can get arctic or winter Dieso or use some pour point depressants to use diesel just below freezing, to reliably run in very cold conditions jet is the go.

Sorry I don't know on your exact engine, but you could check if that engine is in use by the US military in a deployed state, if so it should be " single battlefield fuel" rated and good to go on jet fuel.

One that provides some help.
Cheers Brad.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Brad from Oz
Hi guys,

I used to work in military fuels for a job, there are a few issues with running jet in a normal C/I engine. One big plus as well.

First is lubricity, in older engines it was the fuel pumps that would suffer ( US had heaps of issues with early Humvees) and in modern engines it is more the injectors that will be critical.
Second is Cetane rating, jet can be on the low side for some engines and Cetane is not a specification requirement for jet so you cant tell from checking the batch certificate of quality.
There is a "drop in" L/I C/I (lubricity improver, cetane improver) additive specifically for jet use in ground equipment, it is military approved and quality controlled, NATO code S-1750 I know Chevron and NYCO make it, NYCO have it in small packs.
Third is Sulphur content, jet is very high in Sulphur as there is no requirement for low or ultra low Sulphur levels in jet like you have in Diesel, in fact some of the Sulphur removed from the Dieso gets streamed into the jet to get rid of it. If you have a relatively modern emission control system this will cause issues, particularly with high EGR engines as you get Sulphuric acid damage in the intake, turbos and heads. The other area of accumulation of acid is the engine oil, modern oils have dropped the requirement for high alkaline reserve, or total base number (TBN) due to ultra low Sulphur Dieso, so you can deplete the oil and have acidic conditions in the crankcase. You can condition monitor the oil to find the best changeout points while running jet but a quick rule of thumb is to halve your oil change intervals to be on the safe side.
Fourth prob is the energy density, engines running on jet make less power than on diesel and require more throttle input to maintain the same tractive effort.
Fifth prob is the flash point, all of the normal jet fuels ( jet a, jet a1, f-34/jp-8, TS1, etc) have a low flash point and are classified as flammable. So exercise appropriate care whilst handling. The naval jet fuels ( avcat, f-44/jp-5) have a high flash and are combustibles the same as Dieso.

The big bonus - freeze point, jet has no wax so doesn't gel like Dieso and is good down to -47 degrees celcius. Whilst you can get arctic or winter Dieso or use some pour point depressants to use diesel just below freezing, to reliably run in very cold conditions jet is the go.

Sorry I don't know on your exact engine, but you could check if that engine is in use by the US military in a deployed state, if so it should be " single battlefield fuel" rated and good to go on jet fuel.

One that provides some help.
Cheers Brad.
Couldn't have said it better myself...

Josh

Quick Reply: Jet fuel