E4OD mlps low ohms

Checked mlps on my 1991
P-904
R-684
N-502
D-347
2-215
1-101

These are way lower than the reffrences I've found. Sensor issue, ground, other?

Old 09-20-2013, 06:26 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
sensor out of adjustment?

Old 09-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
sensor out of adjustment?

What's an '83 Steve?

Old 09-20-2013, 07:29 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
a guys screen name on another website from which i robbed his pic lol.

edit:from here:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=122096

they have a lot of great info on the e40d.

im having issues with mine again too.flashing od light a couple times this week.a couple codes 56 and 99 that lead me the the solenoid pack.i had coated that mother with black rtv to help seal it.didn't work! i wiggled that sucker and the flashing light turned off and she shifted real nice and strong again.
so i got online to just buy a whole new trans harness (as the trucks are 20 yrs old now) to avoid the old corroded wires and bought this one: TCI 377508 (1989-194) but they refunded my money! i guess TCI isn't making them anymore.dangit! i'll keep looking or pull the whole works and build my own.but i wanted all new clips and everything.aw well.maybe i'll run all new tinned marine wires,that or just go with an aftermarket controller and their new harness.one way or the other,she'll be getting clean signals like when she was new.
i tried here:
http://autoplicity.com/search.aspx?s...rms=TCI+377508
i might try here:
http://paceperformance.com/i-5157841...4od-89-94.html
but i think i'll call tci directly first to see whats up.

also i did find this one first:
TCM-4112
http://www.worldwidefieros.com/index...ory_pathway=25

so i can look into that one too,to see if they're still building them.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:17 AM
halaferd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced the solonoid harness last year, kept kicking me into safe mode. The wires had pealed back and were touching in several places. I can't for the life of me remember where I got it tho.

A whole harness replace would have benefited me greatly when I started the "restoration" of this truck. Lot of shoty work done by one of the PO's.

I'm going to adjust the sensor again today to see what, if any, results I get. I aligned the marks the other day, but a double check never hurt. I'm also pulling the codes again. The first time I got 0, which is odd because I found two of the wires in the MLPS coupler that were swaped (#199 & #359) when I replaced the connector. Hence the ohms check.

ALSO, I've been trying to fine tune the TPS to the 1.2/4.5V specs as posted by FORDF250HDXLT with no luck. I can get about a 4V ark and that's it (1.2-4.2 1.0-4.0). When I set the idle position to 1.20< the trans will not shift through the gears w/o me letting off the throttle. So I set it at 1.1-4.1V, it's not perfect but if I baby it, it works fine.

I have 5V to the TPS, is there a test for the 3rd wire? It is the new style, and I have tried EVERY which way of adjusting and manipulating to get it to spec.

Thanks guys, always enjoy the feed back

Old 09-21-2013, 03:21 AM
halaferd
Senior User
[QUOTE=FORDF250HDXLT;13551534]a guys screen name on another website from which i robbed his pic lol.

edit:from here:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=122096

they have a lot of great info on the e40d.

I have several pages linked on my phone to that exact page and forum haha they do have a great amount of info

Old 09-21-2013, 11:30 AM
halaferd
Senior User
Pulled codes
Slow: 22 22
Keep alive: 22 62 22 62

22 MAP/BA out of range
62 4/3 or 3/2 pressure switch circuit failed open.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:46 AM
halaferd
Senior User
Ordered new BA sensor from napa. But not sure what to do with the pressure switch code? Or even what that is.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:02 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
22 = MAP (vacuum) or BARO signal out of range.
see that thing that looks (and i think it is actually,but just used differently) like a map sensor up on the drivers side firewall?
that or possibly it's connection to it has an issue.with these wiring harnesses,be sure to inspect and clean the connection first.the BARO sensor is used to tell the trans how far up from sea level (iirc) you are and will alter shifts accordingly.

^
seems like if a guy wanted and was having issues with this,that he could research the values the sensor sends to the ecm when at what elevation levels and if the truck remained always constant pretty much,a guy could simply bypass this sensor rather than replacing it with the correct resistance value resistor and have the trans ecm always just receive the same value.
perhaps it's not this easy though.i dunno.

62 = E4OD excessive converter clutch slippage.
this one happens a great deal many times iv noticed whenever other sensors/connections are not good and almost always goes hand in hand with other codes.it just means something electrical is frigging up the lockup signal or in some cases it could be the converter failing (but don't fret that.it's not likely according to my experiences with mine and iv got this code many times with 2 different brand new converters.)

yeah iv done the repair harness section before.when i took the trans in to have a reman i handed him a new one to install.well rather than splicing it in he simply re-pinned the new clip onto the wiring.i didn't want that,as i suspected the wires themselfs may have been corroded a bit up inside (from age) and i think that's just why it's still acting up.
if i order another one and finally splice it in (eliminating a few inches worth of corroded wiring) it may help for many years and likely would.but then id spent $80 and halfway the price of having a whole new harness anyway (or so i thought) but not if we can't buy them anymore.i dunno what i want to do now.i think im gunna ditch the whole works and just go US shift control w/new harness.i don't trust this 20 yr old wiring for my freshly built multi thousand dollar trans.even when new,ford didn't wire the thing on devoted circuits like they should have anyway,so it would clean up their mess too.
(short in dome or under hood light circuit blows fuse to speedometer and kills trans function.hazards lights on,voids converter lockup and more.)

Old 09-21-2013, 12:30 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Old 09-21-2013, 12:52 PM
halaferd
Senior User
Yeah I def like the idea of doing away with all the tangent circuits and fresh wires. The PO or someone, rebuilt the trans and while reinstalling it made an absolute mess of the wiring. (Hence the mass amount of posts regarding my e4od)

If you do replace all of it let me, us, know how it works. I'd really like to try that as well.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:38 PM
halaferd
Senior User
Cleaning my connections again. Pulled the solonoid plug and it's still got the dielectric grease on it but is covered in dirt and what looks to be rust/corosion.

I plan to drain the pan and check the VB for wear and spring movement, but on a very tight budget and can't afford any unexpected issues at the moment.

So when I do that I'll remove the solonoid pack and make sure is clean.

It's been acting much better in general, especially when cold. So I hope this remedies the inconsistent behaivors.

On the TC, how would you describe it slipping to feel? Or the symptoms anyway. Just for my future knowledge.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 AM
halaferd
Senior User
After cleaning and setting the TPS to 1.1-4.2 (not specs but it's what has worked best so far) the trans is much better.

Amazing what a little electrical cleaner and correcting wire placement will do.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:42 AM
halaferd
Senior User
Ok, update. After a couple weeks driving with, not perfect, but definitely better performance I ran the codes again, KOEO 22 29 62 22 29 62

I ordered the BA sensor since it seems to be failing and not a bad connection issue.
The speed sensor is new but I will check connection again.
And 62, I'm hopping is just like you said, coming up bc of the others.

I'll replace, check, and clean... Then update again.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:51 AM
halaferd
Senior User
Baro sensor installed, no big difference in driving feel... But it did take care of the codes for now. So all is good there.

Quick Reply: E4OD mlps low ohms