1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 07:22 PM
abeagle
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
engine replacement

This my first post.

I have a stock 55 w/original 223 6 cyl, 3 spd manual trans, and original rear end. The engine seems on its last legs at times. What would the group recommend for a full replacement (6 or 8, auto trans) or for each component? Ideas on ballpark cost for all or each?

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:29 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by abeagle
This my first post.

I have a stock 55 w/original 223 6 cyl, 3 spd manual trans, and original rear end. The engine seems on its last legs at times. What would the group recommend for a full replacement (6 or 8, auto trans) or for each component? Ideas on ballpark cost for all or each?

Thanks.
The easiest and probably most cost efficient would be to have that engine rebuilt if possible. Changing to another 6 or V8 and adding an automatic transmission is a lot more complicated and costly that a simple switch. For a 'ballpark' figure, look at least a couple of thousand$ to several thousand$$.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:39 PM
abeagle
Senior User
Thanks. I figured 2 to 3k. I know my wife would like an automatic tran. Amy suggestions for a basic if I go that way. If I do I would guess a compatible rear end would be needed. I know this is a major operation, but it would be helpful in planning dollars and time. Just feeling my way thru the planning.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My questions to myself now,hind site is 20/20. Is it going to be a weekend driver,once a month, 2-3 times a week and so on. I put a 383 sbc,tb350 tranny re-built,serpentine belt system,eldebrock 650 carb,425hp. It has less than 5k on it and now I want to sell it and start over. I love to drive mine,but the gas is killing me. I want to put in a LS2,3, or 7 in it and get more hp,but with better gas mileage and more reliability. So my point is for you to decide which way you want to go first,then you can figure out the funds. I was in to big of a hurry to get it on the road,instead I should have waited to find the right engine for my purpose. L8R ZFLASH

Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM
TireDood
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
It depends on your abilities... If you can find a donor vehicle cheap enough you will get all the brackets, wiring harnesses, and small bits and pieces that can be a huge pain with an engine swap. It also helps if you have some fabrication skills, making motor mounts, transmission mounts, etc. instead of buying them can save you quite a bit. A 302 and AOD fits into these trucks pretty easily, and parts are easy to find for the swap. Don't forget about the driveshaft, I had to buy a used one and have it shortened, around $150 including new u-joints.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 PM
abeagle
Senior User
Good advice. I don't want big and need to work thru the best and not go too fast-just looking for good ideas.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Welcome from a neighbor just up the road and over the hill (Whitesburg, KY). I used to live in Bristol. Let me know if I can help out. reed1951 is just down the road from you. Shop around and see if you can get some help with the engine over there. It might not be a lost cause. Plus it's gonna be winter pretty soon, and you've got time to figure out your options.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 PM
abeagle
Senior User
Good to hear from nearby and will be benefit to take advantage of for sure. I need all the help I can get. Winter will be the best for any major efforts. Summer was the time for bed wood replacement in between rain storms, but it turned out well.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:46 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by abeagle
Good advice. I don't want big and need to work thru the best and not go too fast-just looking for good ideas.
Just to give you something to think about. I came to the realization over the weekend that my flathead 8 needs to be rebuilt. I came home and started checking prices for a rebuild vs doing an engine transmission swap. I know now that the rebuild will cost me between $2500 and $3K. I started looking at options of going to a 305/351 and an AOD. On the cheap end, I could probably buy an old Crown Vic or Lincoln for about $1K for a donor motor and tranny, then add a radiator, motor mounts, drive shaft, shifter and other needed modification that would easily push another $1K. All in all, I would probably spend just as much for that as rebuilding the Flatty. Then of course I would be sitting with a motor/trans with an unknown history and the chance of being back in this same position next year. So to be 'safe, I looked at getting a rebuilt 302 ($3K), rebuilt 351 ($5K) and rebuilt AOD ($1600), then after adding a radiator, carb, flexplate etc. I'm at about $6K- $9K.
Bottom line, the flatty will be headed for the shop this winter

Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 PM
abeagle
Senior User
Thanks very much for the cost ranges and the potentials with the pull out from a parts car was something I had not really considered. I really appreciate things that make me think thru options.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:12 PM
bryanknie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with a Ford Racing crate 302 (306, 340hp, 350tq) and a New/rebuilt AOD. Conversion was easy as I was already 12v with my Flathead. Just had to weld in new motor mounts and a new cross memeber for the AOD and a new drive shaft. AOD allowed me to use my stock Dana 44 with the 3.92. However it rebuilt it and converted it to a posi. No cutting of the cab or floor was needed. You can go on the cheap buy buying a used motor and AOD.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:41 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
A 223 is a very good engine, in my opinion, and worth hanging onto. The distributor and sometimes the carb can be problematic though. What Seems to be the problem? Maybe with a little help you could get it running good again.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:28 PM
abeagle
Senior User
I have major oil leak problems (have replaced head and exhaust gaskets) and especially an idle problem where it dies when coming to a stop and clutch is depressed (which causes my wife not to wish to utilize the vehicle). Had to replace carb (which was really hard to find) which had major vac leak problems (a carb kit and float rebuild did not do the job) and now replacement one is doing the same. I have run out of ideas on adjusting the carb. Not sure if distributor should be replaced, but seems time to consider how much time and money needs to be spent or try to go with something else under the hood which would probably mean something else along all the drive train. I am just considering my options for a winter project but money is tight as it is with all of us. I am not the brightest candle out there and am fairly new to restorations and any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:52 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
When looking for the vacuum leak, did you check the diaphragm in the distributor?

Old 09-19-2013, 02:55 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

PM reed1951, he is in Bristol and mentioned a good engine guy there. Maybe you can get the problems diagnosed correctly before you spend a ton of $$ unnecessarily.

Quick Reply: engine replacement