Thank You

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You

Thanks to all that helped me!!!

I got the Ol'Rattlure running ....That is the name I gave to my old truck years ago. I am still waiting on my new air filter to come in before I can drive it.

Thank goodness nothing major happened when the DuraLite filter failed and caused the turbo compressor wheel major damage. About 30% of the long blades are broken off and bent. I did a compression test and everyone was within 5 psi... 415 and 420 psi. Once I saw the compression was good I started putting everything back together. I installed new glow plugs even if all of the old ones showed to be good.

I bought a new SD compressor wheel off of Ebay for $40.00 even if it is not the right one for my 1995. I took the bad wheel off and installed the SD one....There is no whistle now....Oh well. I did leave the bottom turbo housing bolt off the turbo incase I do not like the SD wheel in my truck. I want to see how much boost I have lost due to the wheel change. If it is almost as good as before I will put that bottom bolt back in the turbo. It took me 2 hrs. to get that dang bolt out with an 8mm short wrench. Like to have kilt an Ol' fat man like me laying across that dang engine.

I have ran those DuraLite filters for years with out any problems. The only thing I an think of is that being so wet this spring and summer the filter must have gotten so damp that it failed.

My truck makes a lot of boost..when I was still working I did a bunch of mods to the Ol'Girl

4 inch cold air intake
Banks SS 3 1/2 down pipe
over size injectors
5 in full exhaust....open....no cat.. no muff
propane injection
BTS transmission
3 gauge cluster
5 different chips for loads and or HP...pulling a goose neck horse trailer or just hot rodding

I took most of that stuff off when I retired and could not afford to break anything. I retired in 2007 so my playing has been over for a long time.

Again thanks for the support and help

Joey Fletcher
Durham NC

Old 09-18-2013, 05:20 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Whew..glad that comp checked out. what filter did you settle on? I think i may go ahead and replace my element here soon.its been in 1 1/2 yrs. good luck!!

Old 09-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
I am going with a K&N until I can find something that has reinforcement wire on the inside of the filter.

I know my body and mind can not stand another failure for what ever reason the filter failed

You can not imagined the anguish I felt when I saw that turbo wheel broken the way it was. I had that sick feeling that the engine was shot from ingesting chunks of the compressor wheel....That was not a good day for this Ol'Man for sure

Now I am ahead of this issue I will try to post some pics of what I saw

The filter, compressor wheel and what was stuck inside of the intake head

I need to see how to post pictures here

Old 09-18-2013, 07:06 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad that the compression checked out! Sounds like you will be ok. These ole engines are built incredibly well. A testament to goo engineering for sure

Glad all is well. I have to do glow plugs here soon too before it gets much colder.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:44 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

This is the first time I know about that a DuraLite filter fail, I cant imagine what causes that, I hope you post pics soon here to understand better the problem
BTW can you elaborate more about how is "a lot of boost"?, how old was the filter?, etc.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
I would say the filter is about 3 1/2 yrs old...I bought 3 of those filters at one time. This was the last of those filters..I did a service on my truck last Sept. Oil, fuel and air filters.

The filter has been stored in my storage conex, the filter box was in perfect condition and the tape was great shape. The filter looked absolutely perfect the flange was soft and pliable.

I guess I have about 3000 miles, if that on the service. My son and I had been planning on going to Bike Fest last Oct. but the trip fell through.
I did drive the truck quite a bit during the spring and summer due to the amount of rain and bad weather this year. This was the wettest spring and summer I can ever remember and I am 67 yrs old

95% of my driving the year has been on the interstate. I am guessing that the amount of water spray from traffic may have cause the filter to get much wetter than normal. I really don't know????

When I was running everything( Propane and the hot chip) I could hit 38 psi with no problem. Now with out propane and no chip about 26 psi with no load...Not sure how much boost pulling the horse trailer....I have been trying to be easy on the truck since I retired.....Can't afford to play like I use to, cost to much to fix

Old 09-18-2013, 09:20 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the Donaldson water resistant filter is part #B08501. Look into that one. It is basically a water resistant 6637.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:42 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Interesting, which one does Clay sell?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:44 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I think the Donaldson water resistant filter is part #B08501. Look into that one. It is basically a water resistant 6637.
It is technically hydrophobic, and was made for high humidity environments. It won't deal with getting physically wet any better than any standard paper filter. It sounds like the OP had something else going on since literally tens of thousands of people use that filter without failure and a much higher boost levels.

To the OP, I wouldn't suggest running a K&N either, I lost my first engine to dusting through a K&N.

Riffraff can get either filter, but the hydrophobic one is almost 3 times as much as the standard. Talked to Clay about it 4 or 5 years ago and decided not to spend the extra.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 AM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Glad you got it sorted out. I live just over by Mooresville so if you ever need a hand laying across the engine compartment, just let me know! Post some pic's as I am sure we would all love to ooooh and aaaah at your truck! Also, got any of those performance parts laying around still?

Old 09-19-2013, 08:54 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Actually the right number is: ECB B085046 Treated to withstand higher humidity...most often used in marine applications. The one you mentioned has 3" outlet diameter and we need 4".

Here are more infor about the dif. filters.
Media Types:
A = Standard cellulose media
B = Treated to withstand higher humidity...most often used in
marine applications
C = Reinforced to withstand higher pulsation applications
D = Designed for higher airflow/low dust applications...should NOT
be used for normal engine operating environments

Old 09-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
Thanks again Guys

This was the first time I ever turned a wrench on my truck engine. So I know just about nothing about it.

I found this guy that owned an engine shop about 1/2 mile from where I worked. the truck had an oil leak when I bought it in 2000. I had him to fix the oil leak which he did. the funny thing was it was a 1/2 mile by road to where I worked but I could leave his shop and walk through the woods for 100 yds and I would be at my building where I worked.

He had a big Ford Excursion that was souped up with all the goodies. When he cranked that thing up I like to have wet my pants, but what really set me on fire was when he did a 4 wheel burn out with that thing I knew I had to start playing with my truck. I started to dump money in my truck like it was free. He did all the engines mods and chip programs I did the 4 in intake and the 5 in exhaust. I was the Director of Facilities where I worked so on the week end, I made my exhaust system...I did buy the banks 3 1/2 SS down pipe.

3 weeks after the first mods the transmission went out. ( light flashing on the shifter)...I had it rebuilt locally. after we decided to go with bigger injectors and propane and some other things he need to change to get all that to work correctly. Once he got the chip done for these mods...OMG my truck was a beast.

2 weeks after everything was running good the transmission planetary gear system exploded. That is when I got the BTS transmission. I guess I put 10K into that thing in 6 months. Worth every penny at the time

I ran it that way until I retired...I did not have access to cheap propane any more....like free...LOL. I gave away the propane system to a guy in Va. he came down here and removed everything swapped out the part that had the nozzle tapped into it. I had 2 fork truck propane tanks modified to use with that system and the hold downs

I retired in 2007 and now my truck is shameful the way it looks now. I use to keep it so clean inside and out...the engine bay was pristine

I bet I have not wash in in 2 yrs. and 3yrs since it was vacuumed out.

Any way I should shut up and go clean up my truck

Thanks

Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 AM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
LOL - you're like my dad. I was with him when he and a neighbor were chatting about things and the neighbor said, "I'll send you that email if I can find the time." I was like, really? I'm raising 4 kids, working my butt off, serving at church, etc, etc, etc, and you can't find time in your busy retirement schedule to send an email!!!!!! My dad agreed with him, though... retirement is hard work! lol

Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Joey Fletcher

I bet I have not wash in in 2 yrs. and 3yrs since it was vacuumed out.

Any way I should shut up and go clean up my truck

Thanks
That's not something to be proud of!! Yikes

Old 09-19-2013, 02:01 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
It is technically hydrophobic, and was made for high humidity environments. It won't deal with getting physically wet any better than any standard paper filter. It sounds like the OP had something else going on since literally tens of thousands of people use that filter without failure and a much higher boost levels.

To the OP, I wouldn't suggest running a K&N either, I lost my first engine to dusting through a K&N.

Riffraff can get either filter, but the hydrophobic one is almost 3 times as much as the standard. Talked to Clay about it 4 or 5 years ago and decided not to spend the extra.
Yeah, that's the word my simple mind couldn't think of yesterday. Appreciate it. LOL

Quick Reply: Thank You