Sponsored by: Moser

Rusty

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:13 AM
hookd
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rusty

Well I'm getting a tough lesson on buying a used truck out of Minnesota (can't wait to get out of the rust belt). I got to looking under my 09 F150 a few months ago and noticed the edges of the rocker panels, the inside of the fenders, and some of the under-body chipping and some surface rust starting. So with a small fortune quoted from the body shop I picked up some chrome fender trim, mudflaps and a dozen different cans of rustoleum products (rust converter, primer, undercoating, and paint for the spots I cant cover up with trim) I started cleaning last Saturday. After a week every night after work getting yelled at by the wife for living in the garage I a bought got it licked. The only problem is in my sanding and cleaning I found the drivers side rear bottom corner of the cab is completely rusted through! I left it alone after I found it so does anybody have any experience dealing with ford on a successful corrosion warranty claim? I would hate to pony up for this on my own but its only going to get worse. I will try and get some pics up today forgot to take any before pics so the after ones will have to do.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:45 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just sell it. You'll regret keeping it. Trust me, I've been through it already.

I grew up in the desert out West and moved further east as an adult. I can't stress it enough to people to not buy used cars from my area. The rust is fricking horrible! When people out here say a car is clean, what they mean is there are no holes through the outer body. It's an entirely different perspective than in your area.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:29 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around here if you mention rust people look at you like you have 3 heads. I feel bad for you guys that have to deal with road salt. You almost cant buy a new truck with the idea of keeping it 10-15 years in mind.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:10 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Just sell it. You'll regret keeping it. Trust me, I've been through it already.

I grew up in the desert out West and moved further east as an adult. I can't stress it enough to people to not buy used cars from my area. The rust is fricking horrible! When people out here say a car is clean, what they mean is there are no holes through the outer body. It's an entirely different perspective than in your area.

Agreed. I went through this with my last truck. Costed me a fortune and in the end I still sold it for that main reason.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:45 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by hookd
Well I'm getting a tough lesson on buying a used truck out of Minnesota (can't wait to get out of the rust belt). I got to looking under my 09 F150 a few months ago and noticed the edges of the rocker panels, the inside of the fenders, and some of the under-body chipping and some surface rust starting. So with a small fortune quoted from the body shop I picked up some chrome fender trim, mudflaps and a dozen different cans of rustoleum products (rust converter, primer, undercoating, and paint for the spots I cant cover up with trim) I started cleaning last Saturday. After a week every night after work getting yelled at by the wife for living in the garage I a bought got it licked. The only problem is in my sanding and cleaning I found the drivers side rear bottom corner of the cab is completely rusted through! I left it alone after I found it so does anybody have any experience dealing with ford on a successful corrosion warranty claim? I would hate to pony up for this on my own but its only going to get worse. I will try and get some pics up today forgot to take any before pics so the after ones will have to do.
If I'm not mistaken, you have to be able to prove that the corrosion perforation is from the inside out. Not sure how to do that.

Chasing rust is like beating cancer, good luck.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 PM
tspangle84
Senior User
I hate rust with a passion that borders on obsession. In fact, I just spent the afternoon laying under my truck spraying it's annual coat of Fluid Film. So far so good, but here in Michigan, you can only hold it off for so long.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:21 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tspangle84
I hate rust with a passion that borders on obsession. In fact, I just spent the afternoon laying under my truck spraying it's annual coat of Fluid Film. So far so good, but here in Michigan, you can only hold it off for so long.

Same here in rusty IL. I'm always heading up north to MI in the winter snowmobiling, so I know what you mean.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know anything about Ford covering that...but for years I have been thinking it would be a good business idea to start a used car/tuck lot in the rust belt but only buy used vehicles from AZ and other places that don't have the rust problem and then transport them there for resale.

They don't salt the roads out here in WYO or CO so they could also provide good clean bodies.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:42 AM
hookd
Senior User
Well took it in to the service manager last week and he took some pictures and sent them in to Ford for an answer. Got the call today that all the parts are in to fix it under warranty and we can do it next week. I cant believe they didn't go back and forth at all. really impressed with how quick they were now to see how the dealership body shop workmanship comes out.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:27 PM
hookd
Senior User
Here is a pic (hope its my first time trying one) of the rust, according to the dealer they are replacing the entire drivers side panel of the cab because it comes in 1 piece from the factory. they took it to a very reputable body shop in town so it will be interesting to see the final product.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:43 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like they are taking care of it for you. Post the final product pics too!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:15 PM
hookd
Senior User
Sorry I forgot to get a final pic. they did a good job replacing it but I noticed a month or so ago the other corner of the cab doing the same thing. So with the wife wanting a bigger camper, great incentives going on right now, and us moving from the flat lands to the rockies rusty went down the road for a 2014 F350 Diesel. I love my new truck!

Old 03-18-2014, 07:44 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hookd
Sorry I forgot to get a final pic. they did a good job replacing it but I noticed a month or so ago the other corner of the cab doing the same thing. So with the wife wanting a bigger camper, great incentives going on right now, and us moving from the flat lands to the rockies rusty went down the road for a 2014 F350 Diesel. I love my new truck!
Ha! Congrats post a pic of the F350.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:50 PM
hookd
Senior User
Here goes nothing putting pictures on this thing is a PIA!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=152288

Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
ooooooooooo seeexxyyyyyyy!!!

Quick Reply: Rusty