1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tail light,Brake light,Turn signals.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 02:54 PM
Jim VA.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been pulling my hair out(what little is left) trying to figure out how to wire the Brake lights and the Turn lights without having to put a seperate brake light and turn signal light. I have completed the wiring for the signals but then I thought about the brake lights, and if I were to connect to the same fillement as the signals that would cancel out the flasher,and I would not get a turn signal when the brakes are applied. Any help? and NO it's not, Ron Franice or Painless,I wired myself.Everything else works Great. Thanks Jim VA.

Old 06-17-2003, 03:37 PM
fatfords
Elder User

Jim,
What type of turn signal switch are you running in your steering column? The reason I ask is that I didn't think they had signals until '56.

Anyway, the brake signal wire and turn signal flasher wire are routed up the column to the signal switch assembly. Then, through a dual pole, three position switch, the brake and turn signals are switched so that the correct light is either flashing or steady.

A switch assembly from a '56 will fit in the stock steering column, as will several FoMoCo cars from the same era. Give use a little more info and I think we can help you out!

Good Luck,

Old 06-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Jim VA.
I have been pulling my hair out(what little is left) trying to figure out how to wire the Brake lights and the Turn lights without having to put a seperate brake light and turn signal light. I have completed the wiring for the signals but then I thought about the brake lights, and if I were to connect to the same fillement as the signals that would cancel out the flasher,and I would not get a turn signal when the brakes are applied. Any help? and NO it's not, Ron Franice or Painless,I wired myself.Everything else works Great. Thanks Jim VA.
Jim,

Either the brake switch or the turn signal switch has to be more than a simple single-throw (two wires, two contacts, on or off) switch. Otherwise, you can't separate the turn signal and brake light circuits as you've discovered.

The stock brake light switch is a simple single-throw pressure switch. The two contacts are normally open but close when the brake system pressure goes above some low level.

The stock turn signal switch is a multi-pole, multi-throw switch as shown in the picture below. It switches the brake light and turn signal circuits in such a way that they don't interfere. You might be able to use the diagram to wire up your system.

Kent snuck in there while I was composing. He's got the right info for you!

Old 06-17-2003, 03:50 PM
ddurant
Senior User

jim

i just finished that on my 49. here is hoe i did it.

1. i assume you are 6v postive ground
2. i got a column mount turn single swich from mid-firty.
http://www.midfifty.com/ (get the heavy dudy one)
3. you need to change your parking and tait light sockets to dual
filiment bulbs.
4. you wire your parking lights direct.
5. the tail runing lights are direct wired.
6. use the second larger filiment for your turn and brake lights.
7. the brake light sending switch wires to the new turn signel switch.
8. the second filiment wires to the turn signel switch which controls your turn signel or brake light.

the directions with the switch are not bad.

good luck

Old 06-17-2003, 04:02 PM
fatfords
Elder User

Well, there ya go! George's schematic pretty much sums up what would have taken me several pages to try to explain. I think the switch that Dale is talking about is like the one for the '56. That sounds like a good deal, especially if they include instructions.

George, is that schematic out of the assembly manual or some other resource? Wire colors look a little funny for a '56.

Good Luck,

Last edited by fatfords; 06-17-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's from the 1956 shop manual.

Old 06-17-2003, 09:32 PM
johann5
Senior User

There are many ways to skin a cat. My '49 F1 came with a single pole switch, installed somewhere in it's life and I'm running 12V negative ground. I installed one of those electronic modules used to run American trailer brakes behind a European car with a separate bulb system. It combines the brakes and turn signals into a single filament while the other (lighter) one is used for the parking lights. One caution, make sure it works if you have a bulb go out. I discovered I had no brake lights if the turn signal bulb failed. I installed a resistor in parallel so everything worked.
Good luck,
Johann

Old 06-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Big Hands
Senior User

Guys not sure exactly what is what but my 55 has factory turn signals in the column. MAybe I got a late 55 model but they are th ere and are in the park lights like they should be. Is mine unusual or do others have turn signals on their 55's also?

STeve

Old 06-18-2003, 12:42 AM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey guys, my first truck was a 55 and believe me the previous owners never spent a cent more than needed. It came with stock turn signals. Kurt y-blocks rule!

Old 06-18-2003, 07:09 AM
Jim VA.
Senior User

Thanks to all who replied,I think I have it figured out now! Jim VA.

Old 06-18-2003, 07:23 PM
55 1-ton
New User

re: Big Hands my 55 f-350 also has factory turn signals.