Sponsored by:

crazy redneck math

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 PM
msfprobass
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazy redneck math

Hey all, Sittin here at work letting the wheels run in my mind(that is scary this time of night and just a week into this 3 week shutdown). Would love to swap the 351 in 93 bronco with a diesel. Would like to keep similar power, but looking for much greater mpg! Anyone ever use the 4bt? would the 4 cylinder be strong enough? (not really a mopar person, so unkown). I would like a fairly low-budget project. What options do I have? anyone who can give good info(what ot watch for/look out for). I live in n.e. TN, emissions not a major issue, so long as it's not off the charts! Anyone know of where any motors close to me?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:08 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Best I could do for ya is to give you a link to lots of links to read

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Search Results

Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 AM
msfprobass
Junior User
thanks for the link, but either the link is broken or my pc here at work won't open it. But, I'm not gonna rule out my sleep deprived, shut down worn, dr. pepper fogged mind isn't on the fritz

Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
I'm sure there are lots of threads about swapping in a 4bt and there is a website called "4BTSwap.com. I'm not really a "Dodge" guy. I bleed Ford blue!! I have seen guys do the Powerstroke swap. I imagine it can get pretty expensive and real labor intensive. (Basically tearing down 2 trucks!), but the outcome looks almost factory and it will be ALL Ford! Find you a 92-96 Powerstroke F250 or F350 4x4 and you're in!!! Remember, you will need the WHOLE truck to do a Powerstroke swap......not only drivetrain, but harness, computer, mounts and gauges......and probably more!! Good Luck!!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:27 AM
psychlopath
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you can do it. It has been done and the 4BT site mentioned earlier is a fantastic resource. Watchout; Those guys take criticism very personally.

I used them as a resource for timing the 6BT I put into my Bronco. They...tended to be wrong...

Get a maintenance manual for that engine and know that you wont find many 4BT engines inside of Dodge trucks. Those will all be 6BT engines of one form or another. And if youre worried about the whole "Dodge engine," thing...Dodge didnt make a single Cummins engine, ever.

Personally, I think that the 4BT is a fantastic way to go if you dont want much more than stock power, BUT they are hard to find and often as much as the 6 cylinder version. Unless you just have an aversion to the larger unit, you'll probably have better luck finding one out of a Dodge, bus or medium truck.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
Just an fyi, there is a complete 4bt being sold locally here for $2,000...

Jim

Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Originally Posted by psychlopath
Yes, you can do it. It has been done and the 4BT site mentioned earlier is a fantastic resource. Watchout; Those guys take criticism very personally.

I used them as a resource for timing the 6BT I put into my Bronco. They...tended to be wrong...

Get a maintenance manual for that engine and know that you wont find many 4BT engines inside of Dodge trucks. Those will all be 6BT engines of one form or another. And if youre worried about the whole "Dodge engine," thing...Dodge didnt make a single Cummins engine, ever.

Personally, I think that the 4BT is a fantastic way to go if you dont want much more than stock power, BUT they are hard to find and often as much as the 6 cylinder version. Unless you just have an aversion to the larger unit, you'll probably have better luck finding one out of a Dodge, bus or medium truck.
Sorry, my bad!! My "anti-Dodge" was oozing out! No, Dodge didn't ever build anything Cummins (except maybe the name badge on the fenders and tailgates!). I wrote service in the mid to late 90's on Dodge trucks......and lets just say......the Cummins part of the truck was the least of Dodge's problem at that time!! The Cummins 4BT will sure take up LESS real estate in the engine compartment!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:42 PM
msfprobass
Junior User
Thanks for the responses! Phsyclopath, I'm definitely not against the 6bt either. What kind of mpg do you get realistically? will I be able to keep the e40d, or do I need to keep the marriage together? Will I need to do any crazy modifcations? What about wiring, etc. sorry about all the questions. Trying to gauge if its gonna be worth all the work before I proceed or if I'm gonna just have to install a for sale sign. I can't afford the fuel bill any longer as I drive about 400 miles a week

Old 09-10-2013, 04:27 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep in mind its not just an engine tranny swap. You have all the electronics to figure out also. And a 351w weighs about 470 lbs dry weight while a power stroke weighs about 920 lbs dry weight. You would also have to do something about your front suspension. That extra 450 lbs over the front axle would make it a bitch to steer with stock steering, I think. And that extra 450 lbs also makes it harder to get it unstuck if you do stick it.Not saying it cant be done, but it does take some engineering to do it. Also the cost. You can buy a lot of gasoline for what the price of a powerstroke is. And diesel is about .60 more per gallon here where I live. Again I'm not trying to talk you out of it, it really aint none of my business. Find you a 1989 yugo and drive it as a daily driver and use the bronco for what its best at.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:00 PM
psychlopath
Elder User
I really suggest that you check out www.4btswaps.com. I know that there are several swaps in the same type of truck as yours and some are VERY detailed. I dont know what will need to be done in your year vehicle. In my truck, basically all I had to do was build some engine mounts and get a transmission adapter made. There was more to it than that, but as far as sitting it in there, that was about it.

You can keep that transmission, but you'll need a stand alone controller for it and I know NOTHING about those.

Ideally, I think if you go with the longer 6 cylinder, you should look at moving your whole drive line back about 3 inches but I didnt do that with mine. And...to show for it, I had a REALLY easy swap but about 2.25" between the crank pulley and the radiator. I didnt even pull off the front sheet metal...or the grill. Just the hood.

The other swap site will probably have information on your front suspension dealing with the weight as well. Mine is holding up fine with super squishy 4" springs and the stock axle. It turns well, stops well and, in general, seems to be happy with what's there. I do have a Saginaw pump and hydroboost (which I VERY highly suggest...even if you dont go with the diesel).

Old 09-12-2013, 01:26 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by msfprobass
thanks for the link, but either the link is broken or my pc here at work won't open it. But, I'm not gonna rule out my sleep deprived, shut down worn, dr. pepper fogged mind isn't on the fritz
No, FTE is stupid with their search links ... it was working for awhile after I posted but then timed out

Old 09-12-2013, 05:17 PM
psychlopath
Elder User
Forgot to post: Last three times I've checked, I've been between 19 and 23 MPG.

Not too shabby for a vehicle that used to get 7 if I drove like a grandma. I didnt do it for the MPG, though. People do the math from time to time and talk about "Oh, you'd have to drive XXX miles before it pays for itself; You can buy a lot of fuel for the price of a diesel and the work; etc etc etc; blah blah blah."

Do it for the cool factor and tell 'em to go play in traffic.