1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Is the frame bent or different size fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 02:27 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the frame bent or different size fenders?

I have looked at everything I can think of and can not find an answer. 49 F3 with a Jag XJS front end and a 5.0 efi engine. Tires are 17 x235 x80 on Amer Racing 3.5 off set Atlas rims and 5 bolt to 8 bolt spacers on front. I have measured both sides of the Jag to about 15 points on the frame for both sides and all measurements are the same. I measured the back of the cab to 4 points of the frame and only one was off by less than 1/4 inch. I measures the lower front fenders form center point to wheel well and they are the same. I measured everything I could and all came out the same on both sides. I even checked to be sure the tires were the same distance form the frame and 3 other points on the Jag rack and all were the same. But check out the drivers side compared to the passenger side. The rear of the well to the tire on the passenger is about 3 inches and the rear of the tire on the drivers is about 5+ inches!! What is the problem and how do I fix it

Attached Images   
Old 09-07-2013, 02:31 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribing. Sorry I can't help. More pics would help I think.

You may be on to something with the bent frame Idea.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:50 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Detailed side view pictures from about 20' would give a better view. Each view from the same angle. Bring it to TS13 and we'll all look at it.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:58 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Would love too bring it to TS 13 ! but I would either have to have a number of spares or be ready to replace a fender. As far as pics from20 feet I will try tomorrow. I don't think the frame is bent as I had it all the way down to the frame and every measurement directly across or even x'd come out the same.I'm the second owner and pulled it out of the barn -- the farmer swore it was never in a wreck and the sheet metal was it reasonable shape with no signs of repairs. I just cant figure out what is wrong. Dave s

Old 09-07-2013, 03:26 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Compare the fenders openings dimensions, front to back. Neither one of those fenders look like the larger truck fender from the angles pictured. That lower fender extension comes off pretty easy and the truck is then driveable.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:38 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
measured all of that -- top edge at hood to opening, headlight to opening, front of opening to back of opening door edge to opening. I even measured the total length of the opening edge and every one of them is the same on both fenders. It really has me baffled, I just hope someone has an idea of what might be wrong. The thing I am thinking is the drivers fender is sitting lower than the passenger side. Looking at the truck from the front it doesn't look like it is but I just don't know. I'm going back tothe garage now to measure the ground to the top of the opening and see what that is.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:41 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Just measured the ground to the top of opening and both are the same. It just makes no sense. I do appreciate any and all suggestions so please keep them coming.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Could the frame be in a slightly rhombus shape? Sounds like one side is 2" farther forward than the other side.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:04 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the cab centered on the frame ? If the back of the cab was to the left 1/2 an inch , by the time you got to the right front fender it could be off 2 inches. In other words are the cab and front clip on their mounts right, or has every thing shifted ?

Old 09-07-2013, 04:08 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
"Could the frame be in a slightly rhombus shape? Sounds like one side is 2" farther forward than the other side."
Joe
How would I check this -- if I measured from right rail to left rail then the same points on left rail to right rail-- in other words an X shape and the distance is the same wouldn't that say this is not the case because I did that and they are the same??
I think this may drive everyone crazy. dave s

Old 09-07-2013, 04:08 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
You could make a plum bob and hang it from all four corners of your frame. Mark the floor in all 4 places , then roll the truck out of the way and measure cross wise to see if the frame is square

Old 09-07-2013, 04:13 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DR Smith
Is the cab centered on the frame ? If the back of the cab was to the left 1/2 an inch , by the time you got to the right front fender it could be off 2 inches. In other words are the cab and front clip on their mounts right, or has every thing shifted ?
Doing the cab measurement it seems straight on the frame -- I measured from the back of the cab to 2 points on the frame (bed not on truck) and only one wasoff by just a hair over 1/8 inch the other 3 were the same. I am saying the same to within an old mans eyes and a tape measure. dave s

Old 09-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
"Could the frame be in a slightly rhombus shape? Sounds like one side is 2" farther forward than the other side."
Joe
How would I check this -- if I measured from right rail to left rail then the same points on left rail to right rail-- in other words an X shape and the distance is the same wouldn't that say this is not the case because I did that and they are the same??
I think this may drive everyone crazy. dave s
Yes, you're right, that would make is square. Sorry, I missed that.

So, just a stupid guess, are the two frame rail sides the same length?

Old 09-07-2013, 04:42 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Put some smaller tires on the front and take it to TS13.
Give them something to do besides parade around in Jammies.

Have ya tried to drive it with smaller tires?
Just wondered if it tracked straight.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Is one wheel more forward than the other? What type of suspension do you have on front? Measure front of frame to front of tire. Also measure wheelbase on both sides.

Quick Reply: Is the frame bent or different size fenders?