1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Is the frame bent or different size fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
The first picture looks like its an f1 fender that the wheels opening was cut to the larger truck opening. If thats the case, and both sides were done that way, the opening in the fenders could be at different spots.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:13 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I see what you are saying Nick. The distance from the wheel opening (where the tire is hitting) to the front of the fender looks different.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:22 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good suggestions but don't think its the answer--all measurements are same from front of frame to Jag front end, frame to wheel, all fender measurements. I bought it out of the last barn in Chicago it sat in the barn from 81 till 92 when I bought it- farmer's dad bought it originally got the big C and died, wife loved the truck and would not sell it until she became ill. Only had one other possible buyer but he wanted to drive it away to haul wood. They refused to sell it to him - when I came along and said I would restore to original look but upgraded drive train they sold it. Swore it was original and never wrecked so I don't think the fenders were replaced. Even showed me pics of hauling bulls to market in the back and said that and manure was why bed was shot. Original bill of sale said $1551.00 I paid $1500 and it had 51,000on od. so a buck a thousand miles!
Any other ideas??? I'm stumped. dave s

Old 09-07-2013, 05:29 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
The pic is showing the fiberglass lower part I replaced the rusted out lowers with. Chicago winters take there toll. I did measure the cuts for the lowers and they are the same on both sides. The passenger side is on the side of the garage with out much room - will try for better pics asap. Again I do appreciate any ideas you all come up with- I am not just trying to shoot them down. dave s

Old 09-07-2013, 05:55 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you put the Jag front end in?

Old 09-07-2013, 06:41 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Yes I put the Jag in and the 5.0 with a worldclass T5-- I originally was going to restore the Flathead 6 but it was really dead from being stored in the barn with water in rad/block. Finances and work put a stop to it for a number of years. We moved from Chicago to KY (semi retired)a few years ago and I started on it again. The frustrating part is everything I have tried to figure out what is out of whack has proven it is all straight. But something has to be wrong I just don't know what-- I am sure it is looking right at me and I'm too blind to see it. dave s

Old 09-07-2013, 07:01 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Is one wheel more forward than the other? What type of suspension do you have on front? Measure front of frame to front of tire. Also measure wheelbase on both sides.
I was thinking the same thing. It is possible your suspension isn't square to the frame. Measure center of hub front to back on both sides. The truck might be right on, but then again your jag suspension could have had a previous wreck.
If they don't measure the same, start by checking the spindles and A frame for possible damage or twisting.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Are the tires the same size?
Sorry, couldn't help myself. It seems you have covered all the bases. I wonder if someone else looking at it could see something you have missed since you are so focused on it. Kind of like the rule of never proofreading your own writing.

Could you do a video walk around? That might shed some light on something off.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:19 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by harleymsn
I was thinking the same thing. It is possible your suspension isn't square to the frame. Measure center of hub front to back on both sides. The truck might be right on, but then again your jag suspension could have had a previous wreck.
If they don't measure the same, start by checking the spindles and A frame for possible damage or twisting.
That's what I mean by everything I've thought of proves it is straight- I measured about 15 different points on the Jag to the frame or to the wheels and even cross measured it to see if square and all prove it is. I think I am correct in saying if each side measures the same it must be straight. It has to be something simple but it has me lost.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Measure your wheelbase on each side.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:18 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Great idea -had not thought of that and it makes sense and is simple !! Iwilllet you know tomorrow. dave s

Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Measure your wheelbase on each side.
Just checked the wheelbase and it is the same. It has to be the cab mount - every other measurement suggested or others I try have matched. I will post pics later today after I move it out of the garage dave s

Old 09-08-2013, 11:26 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the hood fit? That will tell you if sheet metal is in the right place. Also, make a card board pattern of the wheel opening on the "good" side and see how it fits on the not so good side.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:54 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
The hood fits but a bigger gap on drivers side than passenger side. The wheel openings are the same. Pulling out of garage and will post pics -- If my thinking is correct and the cab mount and very front of fender attachment is messed up it would result in this problem. If I raise the cab a half inch or more and the front fender attachment would have to go up and therefore pivot the opening out some. I just have to figure out if they are messed up. dave s

Old 09-08-2013, 02:02 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Cleaned the garage out enough to be able to pull the F3 out for pics. Side views were taken at same height and distance from truck. Front view shows the problem, I think. It looks like the drivers side is lower than the passenger side. How would I raise the front of the fender up - therefore moving the wheel hole up and out away from the tire.

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Is the frame bent or different size fenders?