1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

New user - 99 E-350 7.3L

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 PM
parnellijonesvan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New user - 99 E-350 7.3L

Hi All,

Historically, most of my knowledge is turbo charged, but in the metric Volkswagen world. In fact, for many years the plan was to use a 72 camper bus. But the family lifestyle simply dwarfed the vehicle. Searching has lead me to these forums many time while researching my van purchase.

So, I decided to finally post and start researching some projects. I own:

1999 E-350 XLT in 15 passenger setup
7.3L Powerstroke
Original owner ordered it with a .7 rear end instead of .55 rear end
I Purchased with 175K miles on it

After 3K miles and some transmission issues, replaced the e40D with 4R100.

Reasons for the van:
7.3L Powerstroke
3 kids, canoe, camping, 4 motocross riders, light offroading, light trailering.
The family truckster Texas style.
Modular floor seat mounts/tie down/alternative mounts.
The cargo space options simply beat any other truck-camper/suv
Sportmobile is a little hardcore, I like to think of it more like Parnelli Jones style, back when vans were the original SUV.

Projects (these will get separate threads and some in other forums like wheels, engine):

Brushguard/bumper - wow what an adventure/wild goose chase unto itself. The only current options are Camburg or Aluminess, both not cheap.

Roofrack / Canoe rack - researching clearance for a low overhang by my garage, hoping to find mounts with no more than 10" vertical directly above roof drain channel.

Liner - I might spray the bottom 12" or so, from the trim dimple down, with truck liner to provide durability from chips, as well as a black line contiguous with all the accessories.

Driver seat - the seat track is broken and ford wants $600. Need to research salvage solution

Bench seat - would like a to find a replacement bench seat from whatever year ??? Ford started using the LATCH system for carseats.

Suspension - it feels rattley. I know some of the ford front ends are prone to this. Not sure how much is 180K miles, how much of it is 1ton suspension. I suspect the struts and some strategic bushings may be called for.

Engine/Mechanical - researching upgrade of ATF cooler to F-series cooler. researching oil pan (lowest point on van) skid plate.

Wheels - looking at American Racing outlaw wheels. However, backspacing and width is confusing me. I am used to metric et offset. If all the specs matter there aren't many wheels in 16x7 with 4"+ backspacing, although there are more in 16x8

Harmonics - for lack of a better term. In a frame this long, especially if driving with a lot unsprung weight there are some real interesting suspension patterns. Simply adjusting the door latches on the rear doors stopped an intermittent window down/helicopter wobble at 75mph that wanted to numb your ears.

Body Panels - Connected to the harmonics and suspension. One large interior body panel in the far rear on the driver side is pretty mangled. Cosmetically is mostly ok, but the entrance to the compressor area, as well as one 'fin' that slides into the clips is broken. The fin has a big impact and allows the body panel to smack the van on rough terrain. I am going to see if a friend at the Ford collision shop has any ideas.

Audio - I have replaced all the speakers with Infinity Reference 6x9s. I have an alpine double din headunit (w530) purchased and planned with an Alpine RSE-PKG2 10" ceiling mount screen. Fitment for the double din is a pain, and will require some work, but the end result should be awesome allowing full video streaming from idevices to front or back half of the vehicle.

I will be documenting as I go, for I have already found we own rare machines without a lot of 'can-do' manufacturers.

Happy to hear feedback and advice.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 AM
OSHS
Senior User
Excellent van! I own a 2001 E-350 15-Passenger XLT with the V-10.

As for your suspension, I suggest you go ahead and rebuild your front end and put new shocks at each corner.

The diesel vans tend to go through ball joints a little faster than the gassers (heavier engine). Go ahead and spend a weekend installing new ball joints, new bushings in the TTB arms and new bushings in the radius arms. The nice thing about our vans is that the parts are common as dirt. I haven't replaced mine yet, but when I was chasing a bad vibration a few months ago, I purchased urethane bushings for the front suspension. Cheap and they supposedly tighten up the front end.

All of the work is mechanically easy, you're just fighting with big, heavy pieces.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 PM
parnellijonesvan
Freshman User
Wheels and Tires - check

I went with American Racing Baja wheels - 16x8 - 8x6.5 - 4.5 backspacing - 0 offset.

I also chose Michelin LTX AT 2s in 245/75r16

Loose ends/caveats:
still really want to resolve the narrower read track.

Also saw an e-350 handicap access van tonight at a restaurant running LTXs in 265/75r16. I could not discern a lift, but my wife told me to get out from under someone else's van. I can see the wheelchair ramp weigh down the rear, but leveling the front? What is this guy doing that I am missing?

I will add a pic when the wheels are on the van.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...50-diesel.html

Old 09-23-2013, 11:32 PM
parnellijonesvan
Freshman User
Roofrack / Canoe rack - I have ordered Thule 300 low rain gutter feet. Thule actually recommends the next size larger, with 8" clearance due to the size and slope of the roof. However, I have very limited clearance (plus found a great ebay deal on the 300 low feet).

Also on order at Thule 78" load bars. I plan to cut them down to around 68"-70". Other parts include a wind deflector and a canoe loading outrigger.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:36 PM
parnellijonesvan
Freshman User
Harmonics - I think the front doors are rubbing the frame in a few small spots based on road vibration. The door hinges are pretty worn. The dealer has hinges on order, and I am also having them put a tack weld on the outdoor skin wrap near the hinges. Because there are no door stops, the doors can hyper extend easily, sometimes peeling that skin wrap.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:55 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the wheelchair guy does not have a Diesel and maybe he Upgraded the Front springs to the Heavy Duty ones ...

Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 AM
parnellijonesvan
Freshman User
Originally Posted by blageurt
maybe he Upgraded the Front springs to the Heavy Duty ones ...
I am going to have to research this. Sooooo many threads to research.

Hopefully by next week, all the parts for bushings, tie rod ends, etc will be in place.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:58 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
No just go on this forum...............http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f14/ the guy you want to ask is carringb...he has a dually Van....Heavily modifiled...........He tows 15k All Day with his dually Van.....Should see how many Canoes/ Kayaks he can carry .....outrageous

Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 PM
parnellijonesvan
Freshman User
We interrupt this build thread to show you people actually enjoying the vehicle before more work takes place.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:59 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Looks very clean....nice truck....

Old 10-20-2013, 03:21 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice looking rig!

The van looks great just as she is! My good friend has the exact same van in gold. I am looking for one too. He gets about 18-19 per gallon traveling with 11 passengers in the van at 70 MPH. Not sure what his rear end gear ratio is. His mileage does not change much between city and highway driving.

I really like the room in the extended van. I drive a 1998 E150 bone stock Club Wagon. We like to sleep in our van when we get lazy. I think the extended version will make sleeping arrangement more comfortable.