A/c Blows warm

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 PM
muddingirl81
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/c Blows warm

Alright let me see if I can remember everything that has been done. To start I have a 1991 super duty with a 7.3 in it. I replaced the evaporator, dryer and orifice tube. I added 4 cans of Freon and the a/c still blew warm so I added another can same result. I put one of the throw away gauges on the truck and it read empty so now I'm mad thinking it all leaked out only other option I could think of was to replace the condenser so went to break the lines to change it and Freon came spewing out so I tightened the lines back up and added another can of Freon still warm. I got good gages and hooked them up to high and low sides. High side was reading 100+ and low side was around 100 maybe a little lower. Oh yeah the compressor will come on and go right back off. So I let some of the Freon out and dropped the pressure down to 50 the high side was still a little below 100 so I let a little more out and now there is no Freon in the system again. The lines never got cold and the dryer stayed warm the whole time. The first time I put Freon in before I started replacing stuff the dryer would get ice cold. Any ideas I am lost. My only thought is maybe the compressor is bad but I was told it was just replaced but Freon was never put in it. Oh and when I put the new parts in I replaced the orings in the compressor and put new oil in the compressor.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:47 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Alright let me see if I can remember everything that has been done. To start I have a 1991 super duty with a 7.3 in it. I replaced the evaporator, dryer and orifice tube. I added 4 cans of Freon and the a/c still blew warm so I added another can same result.

id you pull a hard vacuum on the system before charging the refrigerant? This is a very important step.

I put one of the throw away gauges on the truck and it read empty so now I'm mad thinking it all leaked out only other option I could think of was to replace the condenser so went to break the lines to change it and Freon came spewing out so I tightened the lines back up and added another can of Freon still warm.

The connectors on those cheap gauges are notorious for not opening the service port. That's likely why you read 0 pressure.

I got good gages and hooked them up to high and low sides. High side was reading 100+ and low side was around 100 maybe a little lower.

100psi static is close to normal, actually a bit high. The static pressure roughly reflects the ambient temperature of the condenser..

Oh yeah the compressor will come on and go right back off.

Not normal with ~100 psi static in the system. With the compressor running the High side should have climbed and the Low Side should have dropped. Did you note the pressures when the compressor cycled off?
Good static pressure and compressor short cycling is usually electrical, likely a failed Low Pressure Switch.

So I let some of the Freon out and dropped the pressure down to 50 the high side was still a little below 100 so I let a little more out and now there is no Freon in the system again. The lines never got cold and the dryer stayed warm the whole time.

There will be no cooling if the compressor is not engaged.
With the compressor off, both gauges will read the same. It sounds like the High Side coupler wasn't opening the service port.
If the system has actually dropped to 0 pressure, you have a leak. You may have damaged the High Side service port, the "valve" in the port is actually a rubber ball. They get brittle with age. (Just a guess, but it's a common failure).

The first time I put Freon in before I started replacing stuff the dryer would get ice cold. Any ideas I am lost.

Why were all of the parts replaced to begin with? Leak? Compressor failure?

My only thought is maybe the compressor is bad but I was told it was just replaced but Freon was never put in it.

Don't condemn the compressor just yet. Find out why it won't engage first.

Oh and when I put the new parts in I replaced the orings in the compressor and put new oil in the compressor.

How much oil is in the system now? Most compressors are shipped with oil in them. Did you drain and refill it or did you just add oil?

Step 1:
-Start the engine and turn on the AC.
-Disconnect the Low Side Pressure Switch and jumper the connector. Does the compressor engage and stay engaged?
-If so, replace the switch. If not, you'll have to dig a little deeper.

Post back with what you find.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 PM
muddingirl81
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more parts

We ended up with an empty system and replaced the coil in front of the radiator (not sure what each part is called lol) when we put the air hose to it the air would not go threw then it popped and dirt came flying out. Put on a new/used on and recharged the system once more and it is now ice cold. We replaced the other parts just to prevent any leaks not know much about the truck because we bought it about a month ago. so now all is good I do think the gauges we have need to be calibrated or something because it was reading crazy stuff but we got it all working and we were even hiding out in the truck sucking up the a/c while the kids ran around the truck wondering where we were lol

Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 PM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That little mini-radiator looking thing is called the condenser.