1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

AC with 226 engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Wmrdalydvm
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC with 226 engine

I've searched the previous threads but not come up with much. Surely someone has devised a way to add A/C to their truck with a 226 engine.
In south Texas where I am it is nothing short of essential if you want to drive in the summer. Any ideas?
Thanks
Bill

Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Check with "38 Coupe", he has AC on a 215, shouldn't be much different.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
My A/C is in a sedan, but the basic approach is the same. I just realized I don't have any pictures of the setup. I'll try to post some in the near future.

I will also think about A/C in your pickup. I'll try to come back with some well thought out ideas in the next couple days.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:07 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
So whats the problem. I'd say if you were adding AC to a 2013 vehicle, then you got problems.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I do not recall ever seeing AC on a flat head six but of course that does not mean it has not been done. I doubt if you'll ever find an aftermarket kit. I envision three items that would need modifications.
1. 12V conversion
2.Matching belt width for all belt driven accessories.
3. Bracket made for the compressor of choice.
You have lots of room in which to work so it should be doable.
I will be installing an [U]Old Air[/U] unit in my current '49 project F4. I don't have the three challenges you have as I have gone 12V and have an engine to which a compressor is easily adapted.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:37 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by raytasch
I do not recall ever seeing AC on a flat head six but of course that does not mean it has not been done. I doubt if you'll ever find an aftermarket kit. I envision three items that would need modifications.
1. 12V conversion
2.Matching belt width for all belt driven accessories.
3. Bracket made for the compressor of choice.
I'd be surprised if the stock fan is up to the task either. A condenser isn't likely to be as big as the stock radiator, making airflow problematic. A remote condenser with electric fan may be a better solution.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Wmrdalydvm
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a problem--I certainly do plan to change over to 12V neg ground as it makes everything so much easier--Yes I am aware of the need for voltage reducers if I want to keep the old gauges but I'm leaning toward some newer retro type gauges so that wont be a problem
If necessary I can certainly add an electric fan to aid in cooling of the radiator as well as the A/C condenser--and eliminate the stock fan as well.
My questions was really directed more toward whether someone has fabricated a bracket that works well. I'm thinking I might as well switch over to an internally regulated alternator rather than stick with the generator. My local Gen shop has been trying to find a suitable armature for a 12V conversion with no luck
So my thought is to use the stock crank pulley, water pump and find a wide pulley to use on the new alternator. Then fab a new pulley that will fit in the front of the crank pulley and use the existing tapped holes into the balancer to secure the pulley. This will drive only the A/C compressor and I can use a narrow 3/8"-1/2" pulley for that
Any thoughts
Bill

Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Wmrdalydvm
Not a problem--I certainly do plan to change over to 12V neg ground as it makes everything so much easier--Yes I am aware of the need for voltage reducers if I want to keep the old gauges but I'm leaning toward some newer retro type gauges so that wont be a problem
If necessary I can certainly add an electric fan to aid in cooling of the radiator as well as the A/C condenser--and eliminate the stock fan as well.
My questions was really directed more toward whether someone has fabricated a bracket that works well. I'm thinking I might as well switch over to an internally regulated alternator rather than stick with the generator. My local Gen shop has been trying to find a suitable armature for a 12V conversion with no luck
So my thought is to use the stock crank pulley, water pump and find a wide pulley to use on the new alternator. Then fab a new pulley that will fit in the front of the crank pulley and use the existing tapped holes into the balancer to secure the pulley. This will drive only the A/C compressor and I can use a narrow 3/8"-1/2" pulley for that
Any thoughts
Bill
Since you're modifying the truck, go with an internal regulated alternator and forget about the generator. Electric fan, AC clutch coil, and in cab fan, and you're already at or above what most generator want to put out. Add headlights and you're in trouble. JMHO. Keep us abreast of your progress. Sounds interesting

Edit: BTW, Mac's sells a high output generator for the V8. Page 144 of their catalog. $$$$

Old 08-30-2013, 08:17 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Stock V8 generator (wide) pulleys are the same ID, same offset, and very nearly the same OD as GM alternator pulleys.