1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

They're Here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Boomer61
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're Here!

Spent about 14 hours last Saturday making two 334 mile round trips to pick up the trucks. Took a few shots of the loading/unloading process that give a better idea of the condition. The '51 is truly a shell with chopping done to the frame to allow a big block. Dashbord is hacked a bit too. But the doors are better than that ones on the '52 (which aren't bad, but have a little bondo on the bottom edge).

Here's the '52 first. Need to get a good shot of the engine later today.

Attached Images      
Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Boomer61
Senior User
And here's the '51. Looks like I'll be yanking the fenders and doors from it and sending it down the road with the ones from the '52 as they are in worse shape due to storage issues.

Had a bit of a time getting this one on the trailer as it has what appear to be stock car rims on the rear. Seller had an engine hoist handy and jacked it up, drums were removed and rims were flipped, then it fit.

Attached Images      
Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Looks like a great project. Keep us posted on your progress.

The first one looks like mine when I picked it up. At first I was wishing it was still assembled, but after spending a couple of hours getting a new set of inner fenders off of someones parts truck, I decided I was glad the PO had handled the seized bolts before I got it.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Boomer61
Senior User
Agreed! Saw your avatar in another thread and noticed the similarity. I do sorta wish at least the cab was done and back on since everything hangs off it, but this allows me to do it my way and on my schedule.

Good thing is, the frame has been blasted & painted, new front shocks, brake lines look excellent but hoses are cracked, and the engine has been rebuilt. The PO lost interest somewhere along the way. From a catalog in one of the parts boxes last night, it looks like he started in....1998!

Unfortunately it spent the last 5 years under one of those small tin-roof carports which kept it from getting hit by any branches, but didn't keep water out. The upturned fenders in the back bed collected leaves and rainwater, and rotted out in several places. Photos he included from before he moved it there showed nice fenders. Ah, well - he gave me an excellent deal and is a really decent guy.

Last edited by Boomer61; 08-27-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Let the games begin!

Congrats!!

Bobby

Old 08-27-2013, 12:43 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Boomer,
That's a lot of old truck parts to park in front of your nice house. My wife would have shot me - just saying. So you are fixing up the '51 & parting out the '52? Be nice to your hood & doors - there aren't any reproductions being made. What's your plan? Full restoration, a weekender, hotrod?

You have a really nice start. Looking good over there in North Carolina!
(Raised in Chapel Hill - Go Heels!).

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD).

Old 08-27-2013, 12:52 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The first one looks like it has an 8' bed, the second one a 6' bed. If so that means the first is an F2 or larger the second an F1. F2 and larger fenders have larger wheel openings than F1.
You are fairly close by, I'm in Durham

Old 08-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Boomer61
Senior User
Glad to see I have some company close by! Durham is maybe half hour from here, I'm actually nearly in Wilton. I'm fairly new (5 yrs) to the area, so still trying to build up a network of things like a body shop with blasting capabilities, good painter, etc.

Ben, if you look down around the 5th photo of the '52 passenger side, you'll see a large carport in the background currently holding a '51 Farmall Super A and a lot of junk. The '52 will temporarily move there soon, need to fix a flat front tire first. Got one fixed last night (leaky valve), the passenger side has a trashed sidewall. Think the PO pulled it up to his driveway with the tire flat. They're old and dry-rotted anyhow, just something to hold it up and move it around. The wife is pretty understanding. She let me raid the savings account to buy these with the understanding that I sell some of my other 'stuff' and put the money back in a month. The '51 will go down the road as soon as I have the parts swapped off that I want.

Will be restoring or more accurately, rebuilding the '52. It looks worse than it is due to a thin coat of rattle can primer which has long since turned to rust on the bed and doors. The bed is actually 6'. Both are F1s on their titles.

Definitely not looking to build a show truck. I want a clean, solid, straight daily driver. No desire to install a newer engine or to chop up the frame, though I may lower the front a couple-three inches and drop the back an inch, something like that. Will probably get some wider plain steel wheels for radials, painted black with chrome lug nuts. That's about as pimped up as it will get. So, mildly rodded if that's a description? I'm not above making improvements for safety and utility within reason.

The PO installed a new exhaust system but it's the original single pipe. I'll use it as is for now, but somewhere down the road it will get headers and dual glass packs (do they still make such a thing?) just for a better sound.

It came with three bagged electrical harness sections from Dennis Carpenter, so that's a big plus. Just need to get the cab pulled and done. It's a low priority project for a while, though. The Farmall has a cracked block and needs an engine swap as soon as I find a good one. Need to use it for mowing, which keeps the good wife happy of course. This is key to any successful project.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:17 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Nice finds. I think you ought to keep the 51 for "yard art"

Old 08-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Boomer61
Senior User
Now THAT would get me into the doghouse for sure!! The '51 actually has some meat left on the bone for someone wanting to build a street rod. Cab is solid, frame is good except for the chopping done for the bigger mill. Bed is pretty good except the bottom edge of the front panel. Hood is good and it will have a decent set of inner fenders and doors. Outer fenders will need some work. Front & rear axles, springs, even has air shocks on the front and the badass race car wheels.

Here are a few shots of the rebuilt engine. It has about 2 hours on the rebuild. Just enough to burn the paint off the exhaust manifolds. Hasn't run in a while, though he had it running for a few seconds at a time last week. Something to putter with in the next few weeks as time allows.

Attached Images      
Old 08-27-2013, 03:35 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Hey Boomer,
I wasn't expecting to see that nice engine in there! That's definitely a bonus & painted too.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 08-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Boomer61
Senior User
Yep, I was thinking that if I found one with a lunched engine, I'd transplant a 337 into it to stay with the flat head and gain some go. Turns out this one was done which is even better. I know they aren't powerhouses, but they look so great. Very machine-gadget-industrial.

Had a few more pictures to post but got interrupted by my daughter (9 months) letting me know she was hungry. Further explanation of why the truck is a low priority.

So here's a shot of the truck after fixing the driver's front tire valve and re-inflating, then washing it down to get the slime and crud off. Also some shots of the running boards. Was thinking they were trash but after washing them down last night it looks like I can patch them for now, maybe put steps over them until I can afford a new pair. Two of the holes were made to line up with the front stake holders in the pickup bed.

Attached Images     
Old 08-27-2013, 04:44 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Hey Boomer,
If patching doesn't work - they do make reproduction running boards in both fiberglass & steel. The steel ones are pretty pricey - around $300ea if I remember correctly. If you search on here you can see where guys have patched up their running boards - generally scavenging what they need from other crapped out ones.

Good luck over there. Ax in Durham is one of our more experienced guys - you'll want to soak up knowledge there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 PM
WNDOPDLR
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Boomer-

If you decide to part out the 51, I need a hood and can pick it up from my location a couple hours west of you. Let me know.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:19 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Drivers door on truck beside building is a 5* extra cab door . .A great big plus . 5 * extra cab horns also .Stock ribbed front bumper, another plus . I like heater hose connecting the water pump & head , classic !! Any spare fresh air tube parts , Magic Air heaters & etc ? Man does that bring back memories . Been there done that TWICE !!!Thanks , Denny

Quick Reply: They're Here!