1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Electric fuel pump - noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:11 PM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Electric fuel pump - noise

Anyone found an electric fuel pump that doesn't sound like an outboard motor under the truck? Actually, that's an insult to outboards, I had a 4 stroke outboard that you could hardly tell if it was running.

Anyway, currently running a Quick Fuel; works great but it is LOUD. Anything out there that will make less noise (and make my wife happy).

Old 08-26-2013, 02:28 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I am running an Airtex, I can only hear it just before startup. But I'm pretty deaf also...

Old 08-26-2013, 02:43 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this guy says it best when it comes to in tank or not:
Quiet electric fuel pump??? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

"They all make noise unless you put it in the tank"

What I started to do, but bailed out on due to time - I was lookin for an in-tank model that was low pressure... let us know if you find one, cause all the in tank I found were high pressure.

Having brought this back up again I'll throw out what several suggest - put a hockey puck between the pump and the frame (assuming you bolted it to the frame)

Old 08-26-2013, 02:51 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Does it always make noise, or only before it gets the carb float bowl full of fuel?

I have two sons with Mustang projects cars....both have electric fuel pumps. One we mounted under the hood and it is basically sucks the fuel from the tank. That car gets vapor locked a lot. Fuel under suction is more like to vapor lock, and the pump runs really loud when that is happening.

In the other project, we mounted the pump as close to the tank as possible, so most of the fuel system is pressurized rather than being suctioned. That car never vapor locks, and being that the pump is way in the back, it is barely audible.

Accordingly, when I set up my 52, I mounted the Facet fuel pump to the inside of the frame near the fuel tank outlet....along with a marine type shut-off valve and a filter. So far, I can hear the pump run when I turn it on after it has been parked for a few days....it has to fill up the carb which I assume has lost fuel to evaporation. After the float bowl is full, the sound of the pump is very quiet. I can't hear it at all after starting....so maybe you just need some louder mufflers!! Part of it may be that if you mounted the pump to a big sheet metal surface, it might be resonating more than if it were mounted to something more solid.

Dan

Old 08-26-2013, 04:42 PM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Thanks for the ideas. I've tried all the usual ways to quite it down. Rubber insulators, strips of cut rubber from tires, built a bracket and insulated the pump to the bracket and bracket to the frame, drilled the mounting holes over sized and put rubber grometts in the holes, everything I could think of. The only way I've found to cut the noise is to hang the pump with a tie wrap from the frame. And that's a little too mickey mouse, even for me. A buddy suggested hanging the pump using rubber exhaust hangers, but I just don't like the idea of that pump swinging around under there.

Think I am going to try one of the gerotor pumps (Holley 12-125 or Mallory 4140). Just need to come up with the $200+.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:06 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mallroy I understand is the quietest of the lot....

Old 08-26-2013, 05:08 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
I am running an Airtex, I can only hear it just before startup. But I'm pretty deaf also...
I also have an Airtex LP pump, behaves the same. They make a 5 - 9 psi pump (#E8016S) that might be the one for a 360, but I'd still use a regulator.

I have had several cars with in-tank pumps that were louder than the Airtex, including a Mustang. Turn up your stereo!

Old_Dan, I had very bad experiences with the Facet pump, PM me if you want the sordid details!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Redgranite_Yooper
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered an intank retrofit system, may be worth checking out.

Aeromotive | 18689 - Phantom 200 Stealth Fuel System

Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 PM
53FOPAR
Tuned
UPDATE: Went with the Holley 12-125. Silent. I have to turn off my electric fan to hear it run. Puts out 6 1/2 psi which is just right for the Edlebrock carb. No pressure regulator needed. I am happy except for the price ($205). But more important, the wife is happy.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redgranite_Yooper

Aeromotive*|*18689 - Phantom 200 Stealth Fuel System
That place has really nice looking hardware!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:21 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Redgranite_Yooper

Aeromotive*|*18689 - Phantom 200 Stealth Fuel System
I like the looks of that system.

Just be careful cutting a hole in the tank. One spark and BOOM!

Would it be best to fill the tank with argon, or another inert gas, or fill it with water and use an air saw to cut the hole?

Any welders/fabricators/millwrights know how to cut a fuel tank safely?

Old 08-30-2013, 05:32 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
All of the old guys I know say to use exhaust fumes from a running engine......just run a hose from the tail pipe into the tank.
That said, I would personally never weld or cut on one. Just recently lost a good friend who was welding on a tank and had it explode....

Old 08-30-2013, 06:08 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
All of the old guys I know say to use exhaust fumes from a running engine......just run a hose from the tail pipe into the tank.
That said, I would personally never weld or cut on one. Just recently lost a good friend who was welding on a tank and had it explode....
I've heard modern cars with cat converters don't make enough CO for that to work. I don't care for that in-tank kit, what are the chances that you'll get a good seal on the corrugated part of the tank, over the long term?!

Old 08-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Redgranite_Yooper
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My tank is bone dry, I believe the last time it had gas in it was 20 maybe even 30 years ago. There is no smell of gas in the tank, so I would think that I would be safe, don't you?

Old 08-31-2013, 06:48 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
quiet fuel pump that means Bendix real common on Onan Gen sets the kind that
stops when satisfied.

Quick Reply: Electric fuel pump - noise