Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission issue?

Old 08-28-2013, 05:19 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
MadMatt65 has a good reputation on FTE.MadMatt65 has a good reputation on FTE.MadMatt65 has a good reputation on FTE.
Hey Zombie, my 93 was was doing the same "thud" you were describing. Took my driveshaft to the local driveline shop and they lubed the splines. Said they were dry. Said all the joints in the CV were good. Had them do the rear joint since the shaft was out, (and I didn't feel like doing it!). Took care of the Thud/clunk sound. The shop said Ford NOT putting lube points on driveshafts is NOT one of their better ideas!

Old 08-29-2013, 12:31 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
ZombieSlayer has a good reputation on FTE.ZombieSlayer has a good reputation on FTE.
Yeah the more I think about it, the more I think I'll take it to a shop. If it wasn't my daily driver then I'd be more comfortable about taking it apart

Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
ZombieSlayer has a good reputation on FTE.ZombieSlayer has a good reputation on FTE.
OK so it's not the u joints causing the "thud"

So what's causing the "thud"? Have no freakin clue. Going to have a shop look it over next Monday again. They looked it over earlier today and couldn't figure it out in the short time we had scheduled for it.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:40 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
Hmm well hopefully it isn't something too serious.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:54 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
gatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputationgatorfor88 has a superb reputation
My "thud" was pinion bearing going out which led to too much backlash between ring and pinion. Which led to breaking a u-joint because I drove it too long without fixing it. Which led to about throwing the driveshaft down the hiway.Which led to buying a new driveshaft because it was actually cheaper than rebuilding and getting the old 1 rebalanced. Which led to finding another chunk to rebuild because the pinion housing was worn out. Which led to the carrier bearing actually wallowing out the retainer. Which led to spending way more money than I had budgeted for. Its a good thing My Beautiful Bride loves me.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:29 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
I'll have to mention the pinion bearing to them when I take it in.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:42 PM
landshark69
Freshman User
landshark69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Ok there's 2 issues being described but I don't think they are both transmission related..

From a 0mph start there is a thud (or clunk) when the truck first starts rolling. If I am super light on the go pedal it doesn't happen. It also occurs during stops and the severity of the thud depends on the gentleness of the stop. The stopping thud doesn't happen until the truck is stopped.

I'm not familiar with transmissions and haven't worked on one. I don't have a level place to work on it, so I will most likely have to take it in.
aw hell my 92 has been doing that for the last 5 years ! Calunk and go baby !

Old 09-17-2013, 07:33 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Never go around to the shop yesterday, was at Midas all damn day while they replaced my front brakes and all of my shocks Shocks were original to the truck and had 241K miles on them The front shocks were so bad that they cupped the front tires.

So in Oct I get to buy a whole new set of tires ... yippie

The ride is a lot better now but no funds to investigate the thud until Nov

Old 09-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
man dont take your rig to Midas, they are a bunch of crooks. there are far better shops to have that same work done. isnt there a Les Schwab in Napa?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:46 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
I wouldn't trust Shwabies as far as I could throw em, or Midas, or any other shop really.... They all try to rip us off I'll stick to wrenching on my own stuff and saying every cuss word in the book when I slam my hand on something or break something. Heck I could probably even manage to get a half decent alignment down in my driveway! Me and my brother did one on his Jeep when he replace the tie rod ends. I used a tape measure on the front inner side of the wheel and the rear inner side and once they measured out to be equal, we figured it was good enough. He hasn't said anything about weird tire wear or handling so I think it worked!

Anyways, back to the topic-ish, it makes sense to have them investigate the issue to at least see what it is but it would be more cost efficient to replace the brake parts yourself. I did the same to my front brakes on TGM and had to learn how to properly pack bearings, how to strip brand new studs while trying to get them mounted, and how to pull apart a completed hub after packing the grease the wrong way .

Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 PM
b4hntn
Posting Guru
b4hntn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.b4hntn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The last time I was at Midas the tech said "You need your springs replaced in your brakes because they are the only thing keeping your brakes shoes back." I replied "Gravity is the only thing holding me on Earth" and I left.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:31 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
You know, I bet they got a fix for that. Some shoe adapter that makes you weightless. You get it at a discount price but only after 100 half assed oil changes and 50 half assed brake jobs. What a deal!

Old 09-18-2013, 09:02 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
LoL they guys at the Midas in Napa were nice. I only paid for 2 of the 7.5 hours of labor (started off with one guy ... 3 hours later they had another helping him .... 2 hours after that there were 3 of them working on it ) they spent trying to un-sieze the bolts. I also only paid for 3 of the 6 shocks, so it could've been a few hundred more in labor alone. I had checked out some other places but the labor cost was higher, and since I never did a brake job by myself I wasn't about to start on my daily driver

Since they let me shadow the techs working on the truck, I think now I could do the shoes when they need to be replaced.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:10 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Shoes and pads are easy peas. Takes an hour at most if you're like me who has to prep everything first, get gloves, rags, go back inside for my soda I forgot, etc. Rotors are a bit more of a pain but can be done in a weekend easily.