Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'79 Bronco...help please!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
IMO of you HAD to replace the hubs, metal mile markers are where I'd go. I've never heard much of the Spicer but iirc oem lockers were Warns not Spicer. But ive been wrong before. I just remember reading that they were plastic dial warns that would break after a few years since the plastic got old. ANYWAYS good luck.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:08 AM
scott79
Posting Guru
scott79 has a good reputation on FTE.scott79 has a good reputation on FTE.scott79 has a good reputation on FTE.
Well you are wrong again. "Never heard much of Spicer's"...? How is that possible for a 78/79 bronco owner? The factory lockouts were Spicer's NOT Warn!! Warn was a aftermarket replacement for the 78/79 bronco's and truck's. There was a reason Ford went with spicer, they were and still are the best, outside of "maybe" the new yukon's. But that's ok, you can run either of them but if you want the best "factory originals" spicer's are the way to go...JMO

Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans View Post
IMO of you HAD to replace the hubs, metal mile markers are where I'd go. I've never heard much of the Spicer but iirc oem lockers were Warns not Spicer. But ive been wrong before. I just remember reading that they were plastic dial warns that would break after a few years since the plastic got old. ANYWAYS good luck.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 AM
psychlopath
Elder User
psychlopath is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Somewhat off topic, but related to this tangent:

Factory hubs are the only ones I've ever had fail before. One set of auto hubs on a 95, which I now know is to be expected and the stock set on the 79 I run now.

After years of trolling forums, I see that I am one of the few who've had stock hub issues...but after about 15 years, the Mile Markers I put on there have been through hell and never missed a beat.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:37 AM
scott79
Posting Guru
scott79 has a good reputation on FTE.scott79 has a good reputation on FTE.scott79 has a good reputation on FTE.
psychlopath, hey are you a member over on FSB.com? I think I have seen your name over there, maybe it's another psyco since there are alot of them out there haha...

Old 08-26-2013, 11:37 AM
psychlopath
Elder User
psychlopath is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yep, it's me! I've given a lot of marginal contributions there and starting to wrack some up here.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 AM
scott79
Posting Guru
Cool, thought that might be you!! Good to see another FSB guy over here...Actucally, there are several of the ole boys that troll some here now!!

Originally Posted by psychlopath View Post
Yep, it's me! I've given a lot of marginal contributions there and starting to wrack some up here.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 PM
blackjack33
Senior User
blackjack33 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.blackjack33 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Okay guys quiz time, looking at these two pics, can anyone tell me what's wrong..other than the excessive grease, why this hub won't disengage from locked in?

[IMG]

[IMG]

Here's to hoping that someone can learn/benefit from this issue.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:55 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
I assume you know the issues, it wouldn't happen to have anything to do with that screw on the inner hub guts right? That was a stab in the dark, otherwise after a quick look I don't see much wrong.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Raleigh1
Elder User
Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by scott79 View Post
Cool, thought that might be you!! Good to see another FSB guy over here...Actucally, there are several of the ole boys that troll some here now!!
I am on here some too, don't forget about me guys! haha
Originally Posted by blackjack33 View Post
Okay guys quiz time, looking at these two pics, can anyone tell me what's wrong..other than the excessive grease, why this hub won't disengage from locked in?

[IMG]

Here's to hoping that someone can learn/benefit from this issue.
The spring should be on the axle side of the hub to disengage the hub, if this is how it came out that and grease wil cause nothing but problems...

Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Hey Raleigh what do you mean by the axle side of the hub? Like the spring should be on the axle vs on the lock mech? my Warn hubs had the spring attached to the locking piece... HOWEVER, that spring looks streached or something...

Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Raleigh1
Elder User
Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.Raleigh1 has a great reputation on FTE.
That is a Spicer hub, the Warn has an internal spring. The Spicer spring should go between the bearing and the lockout mechanism.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.
The problem is in the cap for sure, try turning it disasembled to see if it works like it should. And like said, the Warns are slightly different.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 AM
Raleigh1
Elder User
Here is an assembly breakdown of the Spicer Hub.

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2013, 02:04 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
So #13, the spring is not in the right place huh? That's not good...

Old 09-08-2013, 01:26 PM
scott79
Posting Guru
Whats up Raleigh1, another FSB-er, I gotcha bro!!

And Raleigh1 is correct in his statements/posts...

Originally Posted by Raleigh1 View Post
I am on here some too, don't forget about me guys! haha

The spring should be on the axle side of the hub to disengage the hub, if this is how it came out that and grease wil cause nothing but problems...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '79 Bronco...help please!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.