1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Where are all of our Darksiders???????

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Where are all of our Darksiders???????

In posting on the thread regarding buckets seats and consoles, I realize that a lot of our darksiders are not posting very much anymore and I guess I have to include myself. Haven't seen anything from mt54, thepitshop, Keith, and some others that I can't think of right now. I see activity from 48 Steel from time to time. I know that there are a lot of you guys that have a variety of upgrades in suspension and drivelines, but I'm talking about the guys that actually build their own parts and modify the body on their trucks. I know that the subject might be a sore spot for some on this site, but you have to admit that the F100 has been a favorite for the custom builders for a looong time.

Hopefully the guys I speak of still have their projects and are still working on them. Perhaps life has gotten in the way and in time they will show back up. I really enjoy see others fabrication and I hope to see more.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
I gotta admit I'm a darksider.... I'm in the dark most of the time !!!
john

Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Good weather! Everyone is driving them and not talking about them. So how dark does a Chxxx engine and transmission make one?

Old 08-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I personally think the term "Darksider" has a completely incorrect definition on this forum. When I first showed up here, I would read the word, and I automatically assumed that meant the truck or whatever had a Chevy drivetrain. Then, as time passed, I realized that ANY modern-style customization is considered a darksider it seems. I'm not sure I agree with that terminology, but I'm just one man...... I like to see stock trucks as much as anybody, and the only time that I get upset about it is when somebody takes a good, running stock truck and chops it apart when they could easily pick another vehicle and save a little bit of American history. But, on the other hand, if a guy has an old truck and needs an engine, it's hard for me to consider him a "darksider" if he drops a Ford engine in it. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally think the term "Darksider" has a completely incorrect definition on this forum. When I first showed up here, I would read the word, and I automatically assumed that meant the truck or whatever had a Chevy drivetrain. Then, as time passed, I realized that ANY modern-style customization is considered a darksider it seems
Shane, I understood Darkside as a more heavily modified truck.

Use the following codes (just to help us sift through the builds if we are looking for something specific. Now you decide how to code it, but the easiest codes would be:

O - Original
S - Original with Safety undates (brakes, etc.)
R - Rodded (Looks like Henry made it, but not after you turn the key)
D - Darkside (Hot Rod) Mostly like Henry, but with your improvements
My truck is currently original but I plan to change the drive train and leave the rest of the truck stock. I would think that would make it Rodded?

Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Shane I too get confused. My 54 had no motor so does a 292 Y-block from a 63 F100 count as larger motor, it's not the 239. I still have mods I want to do but haven't had time. Modify hood and tri-power for some.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:58 PM
ungerp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I agree with a couple guys two years ago when I started my 55 I also assumed a darksider was some one who put a Chevy motor or drivetrain in a Ford. I shortly realized it was all of who were modifying this old iron. As far as your seat question I used a set of the Honda buckets on my 55 and love them. I have a picture of the seats and included center seat in my garage. The fact that I can ****** the seats out easily one at a time for whatever reason is great. Granted they are wall-wall seats even in my 55 and I removed the armrests for that little extra room.

So yes I am still here, but pretty much done with my build minus paint, wiring harness replacement and interior.

Pat

Old 08-18-2013, 03:52 PM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used seats from a early 2000's Blazer. I like the integrated seat belts. Found them in the junk yard, $100 for the pair. Had to make some bases to lift the insides of the seats where the tunnel was. The 1999 to about 2006 GM trucks (Chevy, GMC, Caddy) have the integrated seat belts. You can even find leather.

Not much room between the seats for a console. Currently I am using a plastic thing with two cup holders and storage I found at Pep boys. Still looking in the junk yard for something narrow enough to fit between the buckets.

As far as darksider, I guess I qualify. But it really depends on where you draw the line. Is someone running radial tires on an otherwise original truck a darksider? I think hot rod is a better term than darksider. Easier to identify a "original" truck vs. a hot rod in most cases.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:13 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not a big label person. I am building mine just the way I want it. Mine came with a Chevy motor which I have rebuilt, new 700R4, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc. Mine is going to be a daily driver and I want to want to drive it, not let it sit.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:14 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I've never left, I think I'd be considered a darksider. I used buckets from a 97 Mercury Villager van and built my own console and various other mods Mind you I don't have the fab skills of many on here.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:41 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That is not true John. One only need look at what ya have done to your Panel.
Awesome it is. I and many here just dream of doing the kind of quality work
you have done.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
I've never left, I think I'd be considered a darksider. I used buckets from a 97 Mercury Villager van and built my own console and various other mods Mind you I don't have the fab skills of many on here.
John. What you lack in talent, you make up in good looks (your truck that is)

Old 08-18-2013, 05:50 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Originally Posted by yamagrant
John. What you lack in talent, you make up in good looks (your truck that is)
I was kind of wondering because we haven't met yet,lol. Someday I'll make it into Winnipeg and have to meet up.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
Don't be trying to sell yourself short. You've done some great work on the 56.

Not meaning to "dis" any of the darksiders or heavily customized or whatever name we need to call them. Just wondering what happened to some of the regulars that seem to have all but disappeared. The term darksider was here before I came, but I always took it to mean custom work that involved the body and interior as well and the drive train.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not that I don't like the darkside, I do! I did flip my hood and totally change the drivetrain and suspension front and back. I am shaving the handles and going to put in one piece glass in the doors. In two years after I retire I am going to do another and make it into a Phantom woodie (a phantom woodie is a vehicle that began as something other than a woodie), which was my original plan for this one. But, the cab is too nice to cut it above the windshield and off of the floor. I will probably stick to a fat fender car for the woodie. Similar to last one that I did which started out as a 4door sedan.

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Where are all of our Darksiders???????